Juha "gripmonster" Harju´s Training Log

Juha Harju

Well let's bow to your greatness then. You really should stop trolling someones grip log though.

Well let's bow to your greatness then. You really should stop trolling someones grip log though.

What are you talking about bow to greatness?? All i did was note to juha the massive difference in thickness as he was annoyed with my comment. Lets keep in mind i said nothing on this for years and only congradulated juha on every pinch feat until he implied i was a fraud and would struggle to ccs a #3.

Haha, I was just reading this - Juha, I was not aware of Your post about how wide those plates are - sorry, I should have read Your log first! :)

I remember the Euros in 2008 when Matti Heiskanen came to Germany. We were all looking forward to meet with him because we did know about his one hand pinch abilities. At home he had pinched two thin 20kg plates (I believe Leokos as well). In competition no contestant did 100kg on my Euro setup. But Matti was the only competitor who tried to pinch 2x20kg onehanded AFTER the competition and did this with ease! And those plates were not very thin. I never had Leokos in my hands but they look very smooth - like the Ivankos which I already touched. That's also a factor to be included if a pinch feat is difficult or not...

• Like 1

Some time ago a well-known grip guy wrote an admission of his efforts to make some grip feats easy. Clay Edgin. He talked about buying cheap packs of cards, not hard ones, thin plates, not thick and so on. We know grippers which are well used are, relatively, easier.

Thickness in pinch DOES make a difference. BUT 5 x 10kg does not equal 6 x 10kg anymore than thin equals fat. Compare like with like.

• Like 1

Finnish all time official pinch ranking:

http://www.gripmonsters.fi/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1368287402&archive&start_from&ucat

4x10kg (Leoko)
Juha Harju (Right hand)

4x10 (Eleiko)
Juha Harju (Right hand)

2x20kg Double Farmers walk
Juha Harju 18.25meters

2x25kg
---------
Juha Harju up the air L/R
Timo Lauttamus up the air R

3x15kg
Matti Heiskanen L/R
Juha Harju L/R
Timo Lauttamus L/R

20kg/25kg Double Lift
Juha Harju

20kg/25kg
Matti Heiskanen L/R
Juha Harju L/R
Timo Tuukkanen R
Timo Lauttamus L/R
Matti Harju R

2x20kg Thumb + 2 Fingers
Juha Harju L/R

You can see those names on the list and all grip people also know who are those dudes. Why there is nailed only a few names? Where is Alexey, Karu etc....

I know the right answer. Those pinch feats are not like peanut butter.

C`Moooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnn.... :santa:

That's an awesome list right there!!

• Like 1

It's a small list cos it's only Finland ha ha

Well said Steve.

At official world wide powerlifting competitions are using Eleiko steel plates. All gripsters all around the world are welcome to try pull those plates with chalk.

I give all respect to them who can lift 2x20, 4x10, 3×15, 20/25 with ELEIKO STEEL PLATES.

Must mention that video of this feat would be good!

Well said Steve.

At official world wide powerlifting competitions are using Eleiko steel plates. All gripsters all around the world are welcome to try pull those plates with chalk.

I give all respect to them who can lift 2x20, 4x10, 3×15, 20/25 with ELEIKO STEEL PLATES.

Well said Steve.

People usually understand better when you say it twice.

• Like 2

Juha where are you getting your Eleiko & Leoko plates? Locally I assume cause they see massively expensive online.

Juha where are you getting your Eleiko & Leoko plates? Locally I assume cause they see massively expensive online.

Eleikos are from Sweden, just right from their factory. Leoko plates are Leoko´s factory, from Finland.

• Like 1

I have pulled 3x10k many times using several low quality brands and most were in the that range you mentioned (just over 100mm) and no they were much easier for me to pull than 4x10k Eleiko. Possibly not for everyone due to width but certainly for me. I struggle more with absolute weight than width.

One advantage of using quality plates is that one can compare lifts in a meaningful way. For example Juha has done 4x10k with Eleiko's compeition plates so he can related precisely to my lift of 4x10 Eleiko plates. If on the other hand the two of us had used low quality brands it would be a rather meaningless comparison. I have no interest pinching poor quality, non-competition plates as I don't know what that means. More difficult yes but how much more difficult? If you Paul want to show greatness in loose plate pinching it is actually a good idea to use quality plates so other people can evaluate said difficulty. You pinching this or that with gloves does not interest me for example as I don't know what that means more than that it is 'difficult'.

Well yes i agree as far as standard plates goes however these are very expensive and not everybody wants to spend that kind of money or even have it to spend. Also using extremely thin plates lessens the feat significantly and i see it as being the point of the feat in a lot of cases. For example you wouldnt make an inch dumbbell with a 1.5" handle, it is difficult because of the thickness of the handle being so much.

The plates i use are standard bodypower plates, these are very common in the UK. These are plates also used by steve, laine, sam etc In terms of difficulty i would take an educated guess that three 10kg of these is at least as hard as four 10kg eleiko because of the width and how they don't fit well together. I have used thin plates at david hornes place, 6 10lb thin plates one hand pinch six reps and hold at top easy after competition. This was easier than five 5kg bodypower. Big big difference.
Edited by Mikael Siversson

Paul, I am going to Sweden in July next year but I would be more than happy to stop by in Finland for a workout with the Finns (love flying FinnAir). Why don't you come over as well so we can settle this 'dispute'. Juha, you and myself could start with the 4x10 Eleiko as warm-up before we attempt the wider but (according to you) still very much doable Leoko plates. We would then post the results here on the GB. You would no doubt earn our full respect if you pulled this off. Right now we are comparing apples and oranges.

Alternatively enter one of DH's competitions when the 1HP Euro is included and ask for 64mm width. It would give us a good indication of your capabilities in pulling 4x10k with quality plates.

Paul, I am going to Sweden in July next year but I would be more than happy to stop by in Finland for a workout with the Finns (love flying FinnAir). Why don't you come over as well so we can settle this 'dispute'. Juha, you and myself could start with the 4x10 Eleiko as warm-up before we attempt the wider but (according to you) still very much doable Leoko plates. We would then post the results here on the GB. You would no doubt earn our full respect if you pulled this off. Right now we are comparing apples and oranges.

Alternatively enter one of DH's competitions when the 1HP Euro is included and ask for 64mm width. It would give us a good indication of your capabilities in pulling 4x10k with quality plates.

Sounds awesome training meeting. All we three together. Great pinching and lot of good Finnish food.

Eleiko, leoko, ivanko. These are the top3 Brands of Steel plates and the best in the World. Calibrated and IPF aproved.

Yes and very challenging to lift with normal size hand or also big hand if have no power with wrist.

Ironmind Records Breakes - Valhalla, Finland.

IronMind Hub lift

Juha Harju 32.29kg

IronMind Little Big Horn

Juha Harju 99.04kg

IronMind Silver Bullet Hold (official #3)

Juha Harju 43.20sec

IM Little Big Horn 2x55kg Farmer Walk (turning at 20m)

Juha Harju 42.40 meters

Silarukov 2x50mm Handles Deadlift

Juha Harju 170kg

Great day with strong dudes. I won all species except IM´s hub which is difficult event to me. Good point was that I won one of the strongest (Riku Karu) at all events.

I couldn´t do new WR´s at Little big horn and Silver Bullet. All felt strong but not this time. :sick:

10847168_848482151838496_700432418339442

• Like 2

You should feel incredible proud those are impressive numbers.