My Hubstrength Is Polio, Help Me!

PeterSweden

In 3 weeks Im starting chezs gripper program and i thought that id try to up my hub at the same time.

Any stronger hubbers here who care to share tips, routines, %of1rm to train on etc?

Im also going to train my forearms hard after hubtraining, to keep my RT strength from dropping too much.

• Like 1

Hell yeah brother! Good luck getting the Hub up! What I have been doing that has helped me was only Hub every two weeks, go up to a Max then drop between 5-10 lbs and do 3-5 sets of max reps, then drop 5-10 lbs more and do 3-5 sets of max timed holds. I went from around a 35# hub when I started about 6 months ago and I just hit 57# two days ago. Good luck.

• Like 1

I want to get 35+kg this year.

Im around 20kg now.

Im getting the CTD challenge on film this year :)

• Like 1

I agree with holds. I'd also try different hubs & different finger positions. Daniel Reinard has a fantastic hub tutorial on his channel. I copied his wood insert with 4 slices of cardboard, halving the available surface of the IM Hub.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 1

By the way, 70+ is world class. If you are around 27kg on the IM, you will be able to start hubbing plates.

• Like 1

By the way, 70+ is world class. If you are around 27kg on the IM, you will be able to start hubbing plates.

Im getting there :) I just have to cert some mashmonsters, pull 220 on the RT and some stuff first brother! :)

Try to keep your arm and hand in a straight line, feel you're forcing your fingers into the steel and tense everything through in a wave, ending at the fingers.
Use the fingers and arm as the anchor, holding them vertical throughout, using legs, hip and shoulders to lift the hub.

Also, even though you are lifting, try to imagine forcing your fingers DOWN and into the hub.
Hope this helps. :)

• Like 1

Im thinking I should do this for 3-4 months and see if it works, if it does I'll keep it up;

Gripsession 1;

Chez gripperprogram.

Extensors.

Gripsession 2;

Hub and forearms.

Gripsession 3;

Clamp for dynamic thumbwork.

Extensors.

Train everything every 8-10 days.

Im doing forearms hard to keep RTstrength and maybe even increase it, and also to get my forearms bigger :)

While doing RT I could not do any other forearmwork, it interfered with RT.

Edited by PeterSweden

Try to keep your arm and hand in a straight line, feel you're forcing your fingers into the steel and tense everything through in a wave, ending at the fingers.

Use the fingers and arm as the anchor, holding them vertical throughout, using legs, hip and shoulders to lift the hub.

Also, even though you are lifting, try to imagine forcing your fingers DOWN and into the hub.

Hope this helps. :)

Oh, Im wrighting this down, putting it on a wall in the gym to remember it.

My memory is like the one a goldfish :)

Any thoughts on training on the hub?

Sets, reps, weights etc.

I usually do 3-4 time holds of 5-10 seconds with whatever weight feels appropriate. Once I did not feel like going to gym so that workout was done in home. I did not have much weight at home so i did not use chalk, problem solved!

I lifted hub with relatively easy weight and hold few seconds ,then let it slip of my hand and caught with other hand did same thing. Again and again until i was near failure. I recall doing this about 5 times. I also did some curls with hub and wood blocks and stuff like that. Fun day.

Not sure if this helps you but i advanced from not lifting 25kg in 29.03 to successful lockout with 29.26kg in 17.05.

Edited by FJM
  • Like 1

I guess training the 1 armed rim lift with a 45# plate and added weight would help too.

It takes the thumb out of the equation and trains your fingers in the same way as the hub lift.

Just be careful with that, some good, seasoned grip guys blew ring tendons on the grip topz rim.

Edited by honk