Can Belt Squats Be A Viable Substitute For Back Squats?

Jones1874

i was looking on youtube and it seems like alot of people only squat this way. some for safety reasons, while others have suffered with herniated disks. it looks to be an effective and safe way to blow up your quads with high reps, using much less weight.

anyone have experience with these?

their really appealing to me right now. there seems to be less of a learning curve with them compared to back squats, and flexibility seems to be less of an issue which is a problem for me right now.

i should mention that i am taking steps to improve my flexibility / mobility and correct my APT which all add to the problem.

im curreently using these as a means to correct the problem:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130876763

I've been doing all of my squats with a hip belt for almost two years now due to a lower back injury. Can't say that I really gained any size on my legs, but I also haven't lost any size either. For anybody with back issues, I highly recommend using these in place of regular back squats. They've been a real lifesaver for me. The nice thing is you don't need a whole lot of weight to make them effective. When I first made the decision to stop doing back squats, I started doing the belt squats with a dip belt and a loading pin, but it didn't work very well. I looked at a few different styles of hip belts, and finally ended up purchasing one from Ironmind. I love the belt, and would have to say that it's one of my favorite pieces of training equipment.

I use them quite a bit in alternate months. Don't have time to be extensive here Alex but they

are a good substitute for those with questionable lower back issues.

How old are you Alex?

I use them quite a bit in alternate months. Don't have time to be extensive here Alex but they

are a good substitute for those with questionable lower back issues.

How old are you Alex?

im 23. although i dont have lower back issues i do have some serious flexibility issues, like i said, i am working to fix it. im just looking for an alternative incase i cant get use to back squats. ive read that long femurs can make it more difficult while squatting, and ive definately noticed this myself. it causes extra forward lean but to try and counter that i have to stand with my feet wider so im squatting more upright, which inturn demands more flexibility from the adductors, which is where im at my tightest! absolute knightmare..

as far as im concerned, if a less technically demanding exercise like belt squats can give me just as good results then im all for it. right now i dont care much for strength in my legs, if you seen how scrawny they are youd understand that its all about gaining mass for now! :)

• 1 month later...

I used to do them a lot w/the low pulley off my lat pull machine - good exercise and much cheaper than the real machine. Definately more of an isolation type movement. You wont get the same "neuroendrocrine" response that you will w/squatting though.

Heres how I did mine -

• Like 1