Palm Side Handle Position For Negatives

wobbler

I've searched and come up empty. When you do negatives with an extended handle gripper, where do you usually put the palm side handle? Like a deep set, or back on your thumb like TNS?

This video pretty much sums up how I understand negatives to be done with extended handle grippers. The extended handle is toward your fingers, and you can brace it against the floor, or use your other hand to close it.

Yep, got the idea. But I've done some with a deep set for awhile, and some with no set set at all (tns style) for the last 2 weeks and have found that the last 1/4" of close has more strength doing the tns style negatives. Hard to describe, but there is a bit of strength that comes from folding your hand, if that makes sense, that is there from a tns position.

Close your hand with straight fingers, and put your thumb above your pinky, and you can feel what I'm talking about.

There is a big difference between the both positions. I depends on what your goal is. Do you want to cert on the #3 eventually? Than I would recommend placing the dogleg as far behind as possible like you would have when doing a TNS.

When you are nowhere near closing a #3 at this point I would do both positions. Work up in grippers and gradually increase the ROM of closing grippers, but don't concentrate solely on MMS. It works for some but I have to undo some programming now because of focusing on MMS too much.

I work more tns or very wide set than anything else, not great at setting and the extended handle won't help me improve that at all. I'll probably stick with the handle all the way back on my thumb pad, just curious what other people do. Not ready to close anything impressive yet, so slow and steady it is.

Train how you're going to close grippers. Then train other movements as well. I don't think this matters as long as you're tracking progress either way.

this is how I like to do negatives, initially it's more of a hold and then a negative as slow as I can manage.

So yeah, that's basically up on your thumb pad. Essentially it's a hold that you know you won't keep shut for too long, so a deep set with the palm handle just delays the inevitable. And I feel like it just works better letting that handle slide to the thumb.

Did a little bit of everything, one far back on the thumb, one further up like a deeper set, one upside down, alternate hands in between, then repeat. No closes at all on negative days.

My stronger (right) hand is actually weaker with the gripper upside down, index and middle are a weak point that I hadn't noticed before. I've had some pain in those two fingers that is getting better, found some adhesions that I've been working on. A lot of heavy rolling on top and in between those fingers with a highlighter, feels like little bb's in my right hand, and nothing in the left. Painful at the time but I notice less and less pain when using grippers or doing block weights. Helping improve strength on wider sets.