Met-rx Odd Haugen Strength Classic

Kashtan

Outstanding numbers by all!

Yet especially to Amy and hubgeezer! Your performance at your age is very motivating I hope you continue to be apart of the grip community for many more years to come and continue to see progress! I'm going to show the numbers Amy put up to my sister to get her to start training grip again so she can see just how strong a women can get with grip strength to motivate her.

Great write up also by ironmind, if anyone has videos of the contest please share them also.

Okay, good. Then I may have over-reacted.

I'm really not bent out of shape, i was actually joking a bit there.

Okay, good. Then I may have over-reacted.

I'm really not bent out of shape, i was actually joking a bit there.

It's okay, your just cranky in your old age hahaha (i joke i joke) no nice performance, an actually grip is really becoming an older man (and woman!) sport. A lot of the strong guys are 40 or 50+ now

First, I wish Randall the best of health. I am a firm believer that squats cure almost everything, but this retina is an exception to the rule. Please be careful and follow the advice of your doctors.

Second, Congrats on a great hub performance, Mike. That is a big pull, and done in a contest, no less.

Third, if Randall doesn't know if it was an official #4 cert attempt, and the judge of the attempt doesn't know if it was an official attempt, then who does know? Can you imagine if he did close the #4? What then? The legend of Joe Kinney would pale in comparison.

The article Ironmind maybe inaccuracy...
Alexei told me that he won the axle.
Burke took start weight and immediately ordered it failed to record weight.
And Alex took all the approaches that in turn announces.

Three guys got 210 kg. Haugen and Alexey failed at 220. Burke passed. Burke failed at 235. Three guys tied for 210.

I think the IronMind News got it right.

Thanks.

kashtan - 1 minutes 6 second, and yes (mobster), back in 2009 i think. He did 10 full deadlifts in a couple minutes, probably the most impressive lifting i have ever seen or very close.

That's impressive. There is a video? This can be repeated? Both of achievement? Sounds like something incredible.

First, I wish Randall the best of health. I am a firm believer that squats cure almost everything, but this retina is an exception to the rule. Please be careful and follow the advice of your doctors.

Second, Congrats on a great hub performance, Mike. That is a big pull, and done in a contest, no less.

Third, if Randall doesn't know if it was an official #4 cert attempt, and the judge of the attempt doesn't know if it was an official attempt, then who does know? Can you imagine if he did close the #4? What then? The legend of Joe Kinney would pale in comparison.

Maybe this will be an excuse not to try to squat at least 140 kg x 20 before turning 62 later this year! Seriously, thank you, but the biggest drag was having to miss almost all of Odd's contest, but LA next year will be even bigger and better.

As for Paul's goal of certifying on the Captains of Crush No. 4 gripper, I continue to wish him well—when he asked in early June about having an attempt at David Horne's contest in August, Paul said he wasn't yet able to close a CoC No. 4 according to the rules (“The #4 with credit card i am yet to master”), but now, a few weeks later and a month out from that contest, I hope that Paul is further along and on track to reach that goal.

On international certification attempts, please be sure to give us a couple of weeks to get the gripper to the referee.

kashtan - 1 minutes 6 second, and yes (mobster), back in 2009 i think. He did 10 full deadlifts in a couple minutes, probably the most impressive lifting i have ever seen or very close.

That's impressive. There is a video? This can be repeated? Both of achievement? Sounds like something incredible.

I will give the silver bullet a go on video at some point probably later in the year for you but i don't think Steve will repeat his mellenium repping anytime soon as i think Laine still has the dumbbell.

• Like 1

I think Randy is being a nice guy by not chewing me out and asking me what I was thinking. I "sort of assumed" that Burke and Randy had discussed it in advance. And, Randy not being 100% (and having left) it was a bit confusing. RJS left after the 3rd event. After the Silver Bullet and before the Hub. So, if he closed it, I doubt if it would have flown. Tragically, he injured himself trying.

Maybe this will be an excuse not to try to squat at least 140 kg x 20 before turning 62 later this year! Seriously, thank you, but the biggest drag was having to miss almost all of Odd's contest, but LA next year will be even bigger and better.

As for Paul's goal of certifying on the Captains of Crush No. 4 gripper, I continue to wish him well—when he asked in early June about having an attempt at David Horne's contest in August, Paul said he wasn't yet able to close a CoC No. 4 according to the rules (“The #4 with credit card i am yet to master”), but now, a few weeks later and a month out from that contest, I hope that Paul is further along and on track to reach that goal.

On international certification attempts, please be sure to give us a couple of weeks to get the gripper to the referee.

I think it will be next year for me now Randall. My palms have taken a beating after so long doing heavy grippers now (i went well above 4 level recently deep set, the HG500 in video is very heavy) so I'm not actually planning on any gripper training till well after the contest.

Edit - 20 repper squats do cure almost everything

Edited by Paul Savage

I think Randy is being a nice guy by not chewing me out and asking me what I was thinking. I "sort of assumed" that Burke and Randy had discussed it in advance. And, Randy not being 100% (and having left) it was a bit confusing. RJS left after the 3rd event. After the Silver Bullet and before the Hub. So, if he closed it, I doubt if it would have flown. Tragically, he injured himself trying.

Ok, got it. You were just trying to help, considering the circumstances with Randall leaving early.

Let me be perfectly clear about this: if Mike Burke had told me he wanted to try to officially close the Captains of Crush No. 4 gripper, I'd have given him a shot and I'd have probably whistled in Mike Corlett or Odd Haugen to referee it, so Mike C. (sorry, Hubgeezer) should not apologize for anything—although I was a little surprised to hear about this for the first time earlier today.

Same goes for Rich Williams, if he'd made it to the contest: if he'd said he was ready and wanted a shot at it, I'd have let him try it too.

What both of these guys have in common is casually certifying on the Captains of Crush No. 3.5 gripper in a very public setting and both have officially done over 500 lb. on the Apollon's Axle, for starters, so the leap from that zone to saying they are ready to destroy the CoC No. 4 is not huge.

So, don't blame Mike C. for doing what I'd have done too and never believe him if he ever says anything good about me because rumor has it that he's my cousin.

On the travel thing for Paul, I can fully understand that getting to Los Angeles is a bit of a hike from England, but David Horne lives within about a hour, I think, so maybe David would be willing to let Paul attack the CoC Silver Bullet world record under official conditions, as well as make an official attempt on the CoC No. 4 if he's prepared.

• Like 1

If I am chosen for any gripper cert by IronMind I will always help out.

As for a Silver Bullet event at a contest; yes I'm absolutely sure there will be one, maybe in November or next year.

Did Clay Edgin not show up?

Dammit, looks like he hurt himself. Hope he's alright.

If I am chosen for any gripper cert by IronMind I will always help out.

As for a Silver Bullet event at a contest; yes I'm absolutely sure there will be one, maybe in November or next year.

David -

Many thanks and it would be terrific for Paul to be able to get credit for a world record on the CoC Silver Bullet if he really can beat Mike Burke's time.

Also, as ever, I am more than happy to arrange an official attempt so that Paul can certify on the CoC No. 3, No. 3.5 and/or No. 4 if he still feels he is ready for any of these at your upcoming contest.

I think it will be next year for me now Randall. My palms have taken a beating after so long doing heavy grippers now (i went well above 4 level recently deep set, the HG500 in video is very heavy) so I'm not actually planning on any gripper training till well after the contest.

Paul -

Sorry to be slow here, but the brouhaha got started because you originally said you wanted to try to certify on the Captains of Crush No. 4 gripper at David's contest in August—that's what you told IronMind in early June, when you also said you couldn't yet close a CoC No. 4 according to the rules. So then we (as in IronMind) asked you to check back when you had mastered the gripper and we wished you good luck reaching your goal, etc.

For a variety of reasons, some guys mistranslated this into you were robbed by IronMind, even though the situation was clear to anyone who took the time to read the rules and your statements of where you were on grippers.

Now, roughly halfway between then and your target date, just when I would hope you were drawing very near to your goal, you are saying that you're out until next year.

Anyway, I continue to wish you well with your training—hope you can seize the opportunity to break the world record in the CoC Silver Bullet and certify on the CoC No. 4 in the near future . . . it would be a tremendous achievement in the grip strength world.

Paul -

Sorry to be slow here, but the brouhaha got started because you originally said you wanted to try to certify on the Captains of Crush No. 4 gripper at David's contest in August—that's what you told IronMind in early June, when you also said you couldn't yet close a CoC No. 4 according to the rules. So then we (as in IronMind) asked you to check back when you had mastered the gripper and we wished you good luck reaching your goal, etc.

For a variety of reasons, some guys mistranslated this into you were robbed by IronMind, even though the situation was clear to anyone who took the time to read the rules and your statements of where you were on grippers.

Now, roughly halfway between then and your target date, just when I would hope you were drawing very near to your goal, you are saying that you're out until next year.

Anyway, I continue to wish you well with your training—hope you can seize the opportunity to break the world record in the CoC Silver Bullet and certify on the CoC No. 4 in the near future . . . it would be a tremendous achievement in the grip strength world.

The thing is this, now that I've read and understood the actual rules, i don't want to do it any other way (as said, i have no issues with it personally). People might say I'm crazy but i fully believe I'll be double no setting 4's in my 30's, and will be 'any place, any time' on full strength 4's ccs over the next 1-2 years. I don't need to keep pushing (keep in mind i initially started training for a may cert at bodypower expo) right now an risk injury/further injury as i have been going hard for several months. The tendons need time to adjust. I have seen good progress focusing this much, especially my left hand, hitting a bunch of personal records etc but it's also taken it's toll on my body and at this level you have to be smart. My body wasn't really designed to crush 365lb grippers in my hands. I will have holiday after worlds strongest hands, take some time off, see how my body responds and go from there. Maybe bodypower expo next year will work, maybe earlier, i don't know.

Thank you for your kind wishes.

• Like 2

Paul -

The thing is this, now that I've read and understood the actual rules, i don't want to do it any other way (as said, i have no issues with it personally). People might say I'm crazy but i fully believe I'll be double no setting 4's in my 30's, and will be 'any place, any time' on full strength 4's ccs over the next 1-2 years. I don't need to keep pushing (keep in mind i initially started training for a may cert at bodypower expo) right now an risk injury/further injury as i have been going hard for several months. The tendons need time to adjust. I have seen good progress focusing this much, especially my left hand, hitting a bunch of personal records etc but it's also taken it's toll on my body and at this level you have to be smart. My body wasn't really designed to crush 365lb grippers in my hands. I will have holiday after worlds strongest hands, take some time off, see how my body responds and go from there. Maybe bodypower expo next year will work, maybe earlier, i don't know.

Thank you for your kind wishes.

Smart thinking Paul - slow and steady wins the race - Luck to you.

• Like 1