OLD Qualification List For North American Championship

Jedd Johnson

On ‎2016‎年‎4‎月‎9‎日 at 0:14 PM, anwnate said:

Totally have no dog in this fight...but plates vary wayyyyyyyy more than the IM hub does.  

Some 45 hubs are unliftable, yet others can be snatched. 

That doesn't even address that fact that there are documented cases of 45lb plates being 42lbs or 48lbs.

Regardless...the way I understand the hub qualifier is that it's similar to the MM0.  It's a cool feat and a decent accomplishment, regardless if you have a 139lb or 160lb #3.

I agree, but Jedd just meant that hub devices - from ironmind to DH to Sorinex - vary a lot.

1 hour ago, Jared Goguen said:

Will any axle do or does it have to be an Ironminds axle?

This should be any axle, as long as it's the size of 1.5"ID steel pipe or larger. 1.875" and up.

I don't have a source for this but I'm pretty sure since I used to obsess over the lists.

12 minutes ago, Electron said:

I agree, but Jedd just meant that hub devices - from ironmind to DH to Sorinex - vary a lot.

Yah, I get that. The point pretty much stands though.  I had a 45lb plate I could add 18lbs to...and some I can't pick up.  That's some serious variance.

26 minutes ago, Electron said:

This should be any axle, as long as it's the size of 1.5"ID steel pipe or larger. 1.875" and up.

I don't have a source for this but I'm pretty sure since I used to obsess over the lists.

Yeah I remember that being discussed and it can be any axle

On April 9, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Cannon said:

I'm wondering if Jedd or Brent would be willing to consolidate clarifications into the original post.  It's confusing when some substitutions are allowed and not others.  For example: 

Answers already posted:

• Iron pipe is allowed as an axle substitute (LINK)
  • IM Hub is not allowed for hub lifts (LINK)
  • V-bar lifts must be on FBBC or LGC version (confirmed in this post)

Finally, a couple questions:

• Why not allow IM Hub as long as you still use the required plate as weight?  The lift would actually end up being overweight considering the hub and pin.
  • Why no brackets for grippers?  150# is practically a world-class feat through the 74kg class and a joke in the higher classes.  Considering the availability and popularity of grippers and the role they play in Elite totals, this chance especially should be available and scaled to all competitors.  Just throwing this out as an idea:
    59k: 120#, 66k: 135#, 74k: 140#, 83k: 150#, 93k: 155#, 105k: 160#, 120k: 165#, 120k+: 165#        

In general, thanks to the NAGS and IGC leaders who work on this stuff and maintain it.  Your efforts are greatly appreciated!  

Any thoughts on adding gripper brackets?

I've recently put forth some changes to some of the qualification criteria to the NAGS membership. It's just a matter of everyone finding some time to provide their input.

This is what I've proposed for grippers. Thoughts?

Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set):
59k: 110lbs, 66k: 120lbs, 74k: 130lbs, 83k: 140lbs, 93k: 150lbs, 105k: 155lbs, 120k: 160lbs, 120+k: 160lbs Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

I've recently put forth some changes to some of the qualification criteria to the NAGS membership. It's just a matter of everyone finding some time to provide their input.

This is what I've proposed for grippers. Thoughts?

Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set):
59k: 110lbs, 66k: 120lbs, 74k: 130lbs, 83k: 140lbs, 93k: 150lbs, 105k: 155lbs, 120k: 160lbs, 120+k: 160lbs Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set)

Eric, when did you do this?  Our recommendations are similar with mine being slightly higher overall. 

Two or three weeks ago. It's up for discussion on the NAGS message board.

4 hours ago, Tom Scibelli said:

Yeah I remember that being discussed and it can be any axle

Can we use any axle in competition as well?

11 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Can we use any axle in competition as well?

For competition, I'm pretty sure it has to be the IM, but to qualify for nationals it can be any axle.

• Like 1

^Not if the results are to be counted in the NAGS database.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2016 at 2:14 PM, anwnate said:

Totally have no dog in this fight...but plates vary wayyyyyyyy more than the IM hub does.  

Some 45 hubs are unliftable, yet others can be snatched. 

That doesn't even address that fact that there are documented cases of 45lb plates being 42lbs or 48lbs.

Regardless...the way I understand the hub qualifier is that it's similar to the MM0.  It's a cool feat and a decent accomplishment, regardless if you have a 139lb or 160lb #3.

Good point, I never thought of it that way.  But still, the original intention of the qualification was supposed to be a plate, lifted by the hub, because it's a challenging feat.

On 4/16/2016 at 8:38 PM, Cannon said:

Eric, when did you do this?  Our recommendations are similar with mine being slightly higher overall. 

Been through a very busy stint with my business.  Just now got a chance to check that out.  We're actively discussing it now.

• Like 1