Do You Prefer Index Or Middle Fingers?

Anthony C.

So my whole bending journey so far I have bent with the bar over my index fingers, and have really had to work on shoulder flexibility along the way. Well the other day I was bending with a friend who is certified on the red and he prefers the bar over his middle fingers. I tried this and can get it into position waaaay easier than index fingers. Of course my middles are not tough at all so I couldn't really bend anything without excruciating pain, but I can probably work on that. The thought of starting over with a new style scares me since I'm so close to the red right now as well. What style do you guys prefer?

Besides dude, you got to red levels with you're current technique, i dont think you need to switch anything up, youre doin great my man.

• Like 1

Index.

I tried a few bars with my middle fingers as the fulcrum but I didn't like it and I don't have nearly the same "hold" on the wraps...when my hold isn't extremely tight on a really tough bar the wraps slip through my grip instead of the bar bending.

• Like 2

Index wrapped over bare steel. It puts a nice beating on the finger

• Like 2

I have my index fingers on the wraps and use them as a fulcrum.

• Like 3

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll stick with what I'm used to.

Who's your friend?

I was referring to brian b.

Ah. Just wondering because the middle kinkers I've seen generally have giant meaty paws, like Chad R.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just seeing this. I've always bent over the middle fingers. Just found I could get into better position like this when i started and just kept doing that ever since. 

Index on bare steel and middle on the wraps typically. 

I kink on the index finger.

For the middle finger kinkers:

1) how hard to you wrap your index finger around the bar

2) how does the index finger hold up when in contact with bare steel? As mentioned earlier, I kink with my index fingers on the pads and my index fingers are pretty swollen and torn up. 

2 minutes ago, aaronb41 said:

2) how does the index finger hold up when in contact with bare steel? As mentioned earlier, I kink with my index fingers on the pads and my index fingers are pretty swollen and torn up. 

1 - The bigger the pads, the "lighter" my middle finger makes contact with the wraps. In IMP's the joint is very tight against the wraps/bar with a lot of torque even before the bend starts.  Doubles my fingers rotate 'away' from my body more, so the actual bend takes place over the second bone in my middle finger, rather than on the joint itself.  

2 - Not very well for anything but doubles.  I have some tears from time to time, but the other issue I have is a tendency to sneak the index finger in deeper than i should on the bar, and it ends up bearing more stress than it should.  Nothing major, but I think it's a minor stress on the tendons/ligaments as the bend isn't actually happening over the index finger, but they're involved nonetheless.  

10 hours ago, aaronb41 said:

For me, none of my fingers are on the bare steel as such. The index finger is close to the inside edge of the wraps and then the middle finger is where i find the pressure is when i bend through the wraps. In my case, the index finger really doesn't do much apart from sit in position. You can see where I put the pressure on the photo attached.

I have been recently looking at other benders techniques which led me to finding this thread...so might look into changing or adapting if my technique isn't optimal.

For the record I would have smaller hands also.

11758940_10206254649461684_1500656929_n.jpg

Index generally works better for most guys... unless you have huge meaty paws!   

Can't get a tight grip on the wraps bending over the middle finger either imho... good luck brother! 

When I was bending I was doing index. But when the index is so beat up and torn I used the middle finger.