Crush How-to With Some Tips And Trick

EJ Livesey

A few guys have asked me how to get past certain sticking points. So instead of me trying to describe through PMs, i made a video. Its 18mins long and i tried to hit as much as i could. But as we all know, there is always more to learn/teach. I go through common sticking points and freeze points. i hope this helps at least one of you.

• Like 15

Awesome, can't wait to go home later, crack open a cold one and watch this video on my tv. Thank you very much for doing this bro.

PS: Nice haircut.

• Like 1

Thanks Homie. Let me know if it answers any questions or helps.

Can't wait to sit down and watch this. Bending has been terrible for me lately, seems like I have lost the ability to move anything at the moment.

Excellent video, bro. I don't know exactly where I get stuck on the heavy bars, but I know that I'll be thinking of these techniques next time it happens.

It will also be nice to know how to try and avoid punching myself in the face. Thanks for the great information.

What is the cause of off-center bends? It happens to me a lot, I always figured it was from putting more energy into the bar from my right hand than my left. Not sure.

Thanks again!

Jared, off center bends happen for a couple specific reasons. The first one that is not so common, the wrapping is off from one side to another. The bar may be 1/4" too deep or too shallow. Another reason is we favor our strong hand. They are not equally applying force to the bar. You can see this in many videos, guys that are constantly turning the bar from one hand to the next. I felt the off center bend right away. Usually I can feel one side vs the other and force being applied and I will compensate to make it equal. This time I just wrapped too deep one side too shallow the other.

Edited by EJ Livesey

A lot of good info packed into 18 minutes.

Thanks for doing that.

Sean

"Hold your hit, hold your hit, hold your hit!" - Tommy Chong 1976, revised by EJ Livesey 2015.

• Like 1

Just watched this on YouTube.

Easily the most informative and detailed video on bending I've ever seen!

Thank you for making this and posting it EJ...very cool.

Excellent video, thank you!! So many subtle nuances I was missing with technique. Looking forward to seeing how these changes will work for me!

Thank you for sharing your tips. I'm looking forward to trying them on my next bending session.

Good tutorial ej. Around 90deg is always my sticking point. When I try to bend something again I will remember pointing the bottom out. Never tried that. Thanks for the vid

Great video, very good information!

wow we joined the EXACT same day lol. Almost 11 years ago we were both signing up here. Weird! Edited by king crusher

Thanks for checking it out bro. I know it was very long winded hopefully it helps some one.

A lot of good info packed into 18 minutes.

Thanks for doing that.

Sean

"Hold your hit, hold your hit, hold your hit!" - Tommy Chong 1976, revised by EJ Livesey 2015.

I laughted out louder when I read that. Next how to video will be shorter. I'm glad you checked it out.

Awesome video. Thank you.

No problem bro. Just looking to do me little part to contribute to the sport I love.

Just watched this on YouTube.

Easily the most informative and detailed video on bending I've ever seen!

Thank you for making this and posting it EJ...very cool.

Thanks for checking it out Frank. That's a huge compliment considering how many videos there actually are out there. Thank you

Excellent video, thank you!! So many subtle nuances I was missing with technique. Looking forward to seeing how these changes will work for me!

Let me know if they help you at all. im interested to see how you adapt these techniques to your style. I've only seen a few of your bends, but from what I saw your style will tweak this just a bit and I think you will get over your sticking points with less practice than you think.

Thank you for sharing your tips. I'm looking forward to trying them on my next bending session.

I'm here to help. I want to see everyone strong and injury free.

Good tutorial ej. Around 90deg is always my sticking point. When I try to bend something again I will remember pointing the bottom out. Never tried that. Thanks for the vid

wow we joined the EXACT same day lol. Almost 11 years ago we were both signing up here. Weird!

You will also need to tweak this technique a little to fit your style. You'll see what I'm talking about. You have a whole lot of strength that needs to be concentrated a little better. Hand placement is the key with your issues.

Can't wait to sit down and watch this. Bending has been terrible for me lately, seems like I have lost the ability to move anything at the moment.

Don't get discouraged bro we have all been there. I have a few suggestions that would help you greatly. If you would like to discuss them put the issues you are having here, because you are not the only one having them. I have a few suggestions for you specifically based on your strength and bending style.
  • Like 2

I put my thumbs on the edge of the wraps when chest crushing last night. That was a priceless tip. Thank you.

• Like 1

Awesome vid EJ... thanks for all the info bud! Hope you can do a kink vid next time maybe?

That's where I have problems with heavier stock such as 9mm or 3/8" stuff. I'm a fairly big guy around 260-ish & its tough to get the bar in position under my chin for the kink sometimes. Thanks again for a great vid!

Awesome vid EJ... thanks for all the info bud! Hope you can do a kink vid next time maybe?

That's where I have problems with heavier stock such as 9mm or 3/8" stuff. I'm a fairly big guy around 260-ish & its tough to get the bar in position under my chin for the kink sometimes. Thanks again for a great vid!

This is something I could do, kink vid for bigger guys. I was also thinking about how to make bullet proof hands video

Excellent video EJ! Ton of top stuff in this.

Thanks Carl, I tried to touch on the stuff that has really helped me. The next videos won't be so long. I'm already getting a bunch of requests for different how to videos.

Thanks Carl, I tried to touch on the stuff that has really helped me. The next videos won't be so long. I'm already getting a bunch of requests for different how to videos.

Add me to that list of people!

EJ, here is my problem and abit of back ground:

About a month back i ordered some iron grip steel, 115kg-145kg bars. I waited a week or so for it to arrive and tried the 115kg bar, i bent it but i felt as if i lost the ability to kink anything, technique was completely off and couldnt put any power into the bar. I tried adjusting the wraps but no good. If you watch my 115kg iron grip cert you can see this happening! the kink just wasnt happening, but after about 15-20 degrees i could incorporate my chest strength and plow through the rest of the bar. I think its just the kink i am having trouble with. Its annoying as a few weeks before i was kinking grade 8's and 400lb 6" bars -.- after about 15-20 degrees the 120kg bar is easy throughout the rest of the bend.

i feel as if the strength is there but technique and motivation are well off, and i have no idea why.

Hope you can help and any specific advice you have for my bending style and strength. Thanks brother!

Josh

I'm gonna have to watch a couple of your videos again. But if remember correctly you bend over a fair amount and try to push the ends of the bar together Instead of using your pointer fingers as a fulcrum to bend the bar. Let me watch a couple of videos and I'll get back to you.

Awesome. I do bend down and try push the ends together definitely. Plenty of videos on my channel, both good and bad!

EJ, fantastic video! Thank you for taking the time and effort to put this together. A very, very good resource for all benders regardless of their level.

I agree this should be a sticky. Brilliant stuff mate!

Thanks.