Gloves To Help Recovery Times

richcottrell

I was working an NBA game last night and one of the players from Toronto was wearing gloves/mittens on the bench during the game. They looked like they were quilted like the moist heat pads that they use in Physical Therapy.

The venue here in Philly is very cold.

Sometimes, Very very cold!

That said, I have never seen anything like this before. I have yet to see a player who was not in the game with gloves on.

This player, Patrick Patterson, played in the game. He did not go off the court injured or anything, but maybe he has a lingering finger injury he is nursing?

from a fast google search i found this picture from the game i am talking about:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2382921-toronto-raptors-patrick-patterson-wears-mittens-on-the-bench

Searching the internet, these look a little like the gloves Pattrick Patterson had used last night, but i have no idea for sure...

http://www.amazon.com/MICROWAVEABLE-BUCKWHEAT-HEAT-THERAPY-MITTS/dp/B00FQQYJKK

I do not really "bend" but last year after I bought David Horne's Wrist Developer, it did not take me long before i bruised a finger. It took months to feel better. While I tried TigerBalm, it was always a pain in the butt as I had two kids still in diapers at the time, so I would not get to keep the TiagerBalm on as much as i would have liked.

So if these are Heated Therapy Gloves, and they are good enough for the NBA, I was wondering if any of you "super benders" think they would be something worth trying for the grip athlete?

rich

Lots of guys wear gloves or sleeves during comps. It's not a new idea to keep the joints warm. Personally I don't care enough to do this. Bending and grip is a hobby. But some of the more serious guys I know do this.

i dont bend but i do a lot of grip. i sleep with gloves on most of the time. it does seem to help with recovery especially if something is tweaked in the fingers. also it seems to help with my skin condition.

i dont bend but i do a lot of grip. i sleep with gloves on most of the time. it does seem to help with recovery especially if something is tweaked in the fingers. also it seems to help with my skin condition.

Moist skin seems to heal quicker. Keep the joints physically warm and it circulates clean blood faster. I see the benifits for sure.

For the record, squats are great for "waking" everything up including the CNS. But will not promote healing.

I used to sleep with gloves on at times when I was heavy into steel bending. Trying to boost recovery between workouts.I don't know if it actually helped or not.

I wear arthritic compression gloves when I sleep to aid recovery. Last thing I do before bed, lately, is put on the working hands cream and put the gloves on. Skin feels firm and supple when i wake up, slight tears and callouses mostly heal overnight. I'm beginning to really understand the connection between healthy skin and performance on friction based lifts. Hard, calloused, and torn skin IS detrimental to performance - despite the popular connotation of rough hands to hand strength. Take care of the skin and it will reward your hard work and hold up under the abuse of pinching or anvil lifting.

• Like 2

I have a pair of winter gloves

I'll wear in between sets of block weights or grip training , they Definately help circulate the blood

Lots of bebefits to doing this

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread Rich... good info from all. I have to agree with Jon regarding rough,rugged hands being synonymous with hand strength. I've done some form of mechanics or construction most of my life & hardly ever used lotion. Thick callous were always there.. when I started grip training & pinching esp. I started using some lotion at the suggestion of some veteran grip guys on my hands & it really helped imo! Esp. With friction lifts like pinch.. never tried the glove thing but I'd be willing to give it a go. Also Rich... 2-words. "Contrast baths" brother. Got that tip from one of the best.. Kody Burns! Best thing I've tried for hand recovery. Cheers mate!

Lots of posts on here about wearing gloves at night to promote recover. I've used it in the past and no doubt it helps.

• 2 months later...

I've attempted wearing them whilst sleeping and just wake up with my hands hurting? Almost like they were overheating. Anyone have this problem?