Racing Towards The Red Nail, Who Will Be First?

Jared Goguen

Yes I agree. But of a guy doesn't have a super strong base he probably won't be able to apply enough force to get hurt. So it will come naturally anyway. Listening to your body is a good plan.

Not true at all. Muscles will always grow stronger and faster than tendons and bones. Ask me how I know.

I certainly know this from climbing. It's very easy for beginners who have a strong upper body to get injured because the tendons and ligaments in their fingers just aren't strong enough.

Since I mostly climb, I really can't afford any injuries from bending, so I'm all for taking it at the correct pace. I hit a wall with the I sized O1 at 6", so I'm glad to know where my current ceiling is, and I can train accordingly.

Once my new stock comes in, it's all 7" bars to get me to the red nail. Meanwhile, I think I'll be taking a few days off to let my shoulders recover from my last workout.

Thanks again for the advice. I know there is a lot of experience in this forum.

• Like 1

I'm working on getting videos up. I've never uploaded videos, so I am still getting the hang of formatting and uploading and all. It doesn't seem like anything likes .avi files, but I'll get them up. In the mean time, here is my workout from 12-5-14. (I'll spare the boring details about my climbing workout and fill it in with boring details about my bending workout)

12-5-14 Bending

• O1 DR 5/16” very easy in IMPs (2/10)

• 0.1875” x 6”

• 1.13” final bend

• A rod easy, off center bend (4/10) *2.5 inch wrap, no good

• 0.234” x 6”

• 1.49” final bend

• D rod some effort (7/10) *2 inch wrap, much better

• 0.245” x 6”

• 1.49” final bend

• G rod extra effort (9/10) *2 inch wrap, the way to go so far

• 0.260” x 6”

• 1.85” final bend

• I Rod impossible effort (10/10) *roughly 10 degree final bend

• 0.271” x 6.25”

• 6.08” 170 degree final bend (pfft)

• Put in best possible effort on initial kink. Minor pain in middle and ring fingers after initial effort, probably just bruising. Every additional attempt was totally useless.

• Worth it to put in a maximal effort and fail to see where my limit is.

I'm going to give the 6" I rod a break for a while and get more work in on the G size range. But once the 7" stock arrives, the 6" A or D might just be some volume work.

Be gentle on your criticism! I'm sure there is a lot I can work on. Videos to come (once I figure out this 'youtube' thing you crazy kids are using these days).

• Like 1

His Red took like 8 seconds.

Wow that's fast!

I Rod impossible effort (10/10) *roughly 10 degree final bend

This bar is your new best friend. Confirm with EJ but iso work is pretty crucial for progress.

His Red took like 8 seconds.

Wow that's fast!

I was never especially fast, but you reach a level of power you go through things very quickly. EJ can probably bend a Red in 3 hits.

You are bending 5/16" drill rod in IMPs with ease?

I was wondering about that. It's probably 1/4" or 3/16". 5/16" 0-1 can be around 500# on the kink.

0.1875” = 6/32th or 3/16th.

Also you might want to try the format .mp4 for videos.

Edited by Oldrustystuff

0.1875” = 6/32

Also you might want to try the format .mp4 for videos.

Yes, indeed. I keep flipping 3/16" and 5/16". Glad I put all the actual measurements anyway. Tried to get back to edit my post, but cant.

I would add a caliper measurement to my videos, but the battery in my digital pair died, and I use dial calipers otherwise, which seems more difficult to get a good shot of.

You really don't need to measure your bars on camera. Unless you are doing something world class... that's a different story.

Or if you are trying to cert something not world class. Example something for Iron Grip.

You really don't need to measure your bars on camera. Unless you are doing something world class... that's a different story.

Or if you are trying to cert something not world class. Example something for Iron Grip.

Absolutely. But if someone is bending 3/16", we'll believe them.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Once I need people to believe me, I'll start measuring on camera.

measure with a caliper? 5/16 Will be hard

It's for sure 3/16". I just keep putting the wrong conversion from decimal.

Okay so still having some editing trouble, but in the meantime, here is my O1-A x 6" attempt.

Hope it doesn't look TOO terrible.

*Shoutout to my cat in the background, rolling around like an idiot.

Edited by JaredWith1R
  • Like 1

Show us a harder bend to get better feedback. Looks like you need to get the bar up and under your chin, it is too far out in front of your body.

• Like 1

Show us a harder bend to get better feedback. Looks like you need to get the bar up and under your chin, it is too far out in front of your body.

I agree. Getting the bar up high and keeping it high, tons of chalk, and posting videos of myself struggling to bend something so I could get good feedback helped a lot.

Yeah I definitely notice I pull back more under my chin with the harder stuff. I'll get them up as soon as I can

Thanks for the note.

Also goto EJ's youtube channel and watch how he bends.

Yeah get that bar up under your chin and closer to your body. When you throw down on a harder bar that far away from your body and it slips out of groove you could tweek a muscle or something. Just very unstable

Okay so still having some editing trouble, but in the meantime, here is my O1-A x 6" attempt.

Actually, I see a lot of good things in this bend. I don't need a harder bend to offer advice.

I like the thumb adjustments prior to the bend, that showed me you are really thinking about where the steel is sitting in your fingers and looking for the ideal spot. You have nice long climber arms that are great levers for bending. You'll definitely need to add a bit of chest and shoulder strength to reach the Red Nail. Even just high rep sets of push ups I think are great. Heavy one handed rows are ideal for contraspecific work. Its the opposite motion of the kink.

I like your natural push forward into the kink, just restrain that motion a bit so the steel stays under your chin. You got the bar plenty high, you just dropped as you added force. EJ will tell you to tuck your chin over the bar. So, tuck your chin over the bar. All in all an excellent start. Don't be afraid to bend light steel and amp up gradually. The hand toughness will serve you well.

Actually, I see a lot of good things in this bend. I don't need a harder bend to offer advice.

I like the thumb adjustments prior to the bend, that showed me you are really thinking about where the steel is sitting in your fingers and looking for the ideal spot. You have nice long climber arms that are great levers for bending. You'll definitely need to add a bit of chest and shoulder strength to reach the Red Nail. Even just high rep sets of push ups I think are great. Heavy one handed rows are ideal for contraspecific work. Its the opposite motion of the kink.

I like your natural push forward into the kink, just restrain that motion a bit so the steel stays under your chin. You got the bar plenty high, you just dropped as you added force. EJ will tell you to tuck your chin over the bar. So, tuck your chin over the bar. All in all an excellent start. Don't be afraid to bend light steel and amp up gradually. The hand toughness will serve you well.

This is all very much excellent advice, thank you.

I started to add a max rep sets of push ups to my climbing workout, so that will be very helpful. I am fairly weak in the chest, so I was already looking to work on that. I can also certainly add rows to my gym workouts. I am also trying to add dips and other triceps work to my gym routine.

From watching some of EJs videos, I can see that I am moving an awful lot. And I pay a lot of attention to my hand positioning in climbing, so it carried over naturally, which I guess I'm, lucky for. Definitely going to keep working in this range and a little lighter.

Thanks again for the help.

• Like 1

Jared,

Sharkey is right, I agree with him. I like the fact you are conscious of your hand placement. Tuck your chin over the bar. Bring the bar in to your chest as close as possible. Don't be afraid to put the bar (as long as it's CRS or O-1 drill rod) right up next to your throat. I personally would like to see something you have to work for. When guys starting out have to work for a bend it shows me exactly what needs to be tweaked and where you need to focus on getting stronger.

Also EJ doesn't like to move anymore than he has to. He believes any extra movement is wasted strength not going into the bar. Some guys lean forward, others bend over and some just put it all into the bar. You have to find what feels best and gives you the most power. You need to experiment, it's not something that comes over night. One more thing, make sure you're eating good and sleeping well. Otherwise the chances of getting a CNS shock flu/cold is high.

• Like 2

I started to see serious gains in my bending when I started doing more row, and deadlifts. Also when I took EJ's advice of tucking my chin I felt like I had more power and I felt less pressure in my elbows which was nice.

• Like 1

Jared,

Sharkey is right, I agree with him. I like the fact you are conscious of your hand placement. Tuck your chin over the bar. Bring the bar in to your chest as close as possible. Don't be afraid to put the bar (as long as it's CRS or O-1 drill rod) right up next to your throat. I personally would like to see something you have to work for. When guys starting out have to work for a bend it shows me exactly what needs to be tweaked and where you need to focus on getting stronger.

Also EJ doesn't like to move anymore than he has to. He believes any extra movement is wasted strength not going into the bar. Some guys lean forward, others bend over and some just put it all into the bar. You have to find what feels best and gives you the most power. You need to experiment, it's not something that comes over night. One more thing, make sure you're eating good and sleeping well. Otherwise the chances of getting a CNS shock flu/cold is high.

are you talking in the third person? Nip that in the butt right now lol
  • Like 1

Finally just decided to put some free YouTube music on my videos instead of screwing around trying to mute the audio. SO here is my 6" O1 G size attempt from 12.5.14, with some great Van Halen knockoff tunes for you. 6" O1 G is my current PR, and this is my second bend at that weight. Nothing compared to the I size.

I can see a lot of movement in my sets, which I would like to tone down, a lot. I want to take my kink more slowly and controlled, so I can avoid having to keep resetting when it doesn't feel right. Going to switch to 7" working stock today, after I make all of the cuts.

Thanks for the advice, in advance.

• Like 1