Easiest-hardest Wrenches

JakeNS

Just curious if anyone has tested the poundage it takes to bend different types and lengths of crescent wrenches? Or does anyone know/have a list of the easiest to hardest crescent wrenches to bend, along

With brand, length, thickness ect...

To my knowledge no one has ever took the time to do this. It's one of those things that is trial and error. But I can tell you right off the bat, Lowes brand (cobalt) are the easiest. Then craftsman and the absolute hardest are Fastenal brand, at least those are the few I have tried.

• Like 1

Ok great thanks, I'll get a few different brands and try and see what I come up with.

From my limited experience - wrenches (even of the same model and brand) are all over the place. One will be easy - the next one crazy hard to impossible - with the occasional one that "snaps". I will try the Lowe's brand as the ones from Harbor Freight are getting very inconsistent - thanks EJ.

I've been wanting to try some wrenches for sometime now. What's a good length to start with?

From my limited experience - wrenches (even of the same model and brand) are all over the place. One will be easy - the next one crazy hard to impossible - with the occasional one that "snaps". I will try the Lowe's brand as the ones from Harbor Freight are getting very inconsistent - thanks EJ.

Harbor freight is garbage. Years ago there was a brand on Amazon called "Buyers Choice". The 8" were crazy easy and bent like a dinner fork. The 10" however was a whole new animal. Stick with the Lowes brand, they are easy and cheap enough, plus I personally have never had one snap. But I'm very sure if you really lace into it, it will snap for sure. So take extra special care when wrapping and go slow.

Most solid wrenches around here are pretty much unbendable. There are a few of those with the rubber handles that have a much smaller inner frame that I've snapped. But I don't really count them as proper wrenches. Any solid steel wrenches I've tried, I've not been able to put more than a bow in them. :cry

Trust me when I tell you that wrenches are all over the place. If you look back in my gallery you'll see an old pic with a bunch of different wrenches I've bent in sizes from 8 inches to 12 inches.

Unbendable:

Craftsman

Snap on

Crescent

Husky

Cobalt used to be pretty hard but now people are saying they are easier but make no mistake about it, you might get one that surprises you.

Buffalo tools used to be doable and very consistant.

Pittsburg has varied in my experience.

Menards has some blue handled ones that are very doable but I've had one snap late in the bend.