Some Heavy Grips Ratings Data

Cannon

We rated some to get averages and also took down more information. I must say, I'm impressed at the consistency so far:

HG100 = CPW average 50. Low was 49, high was 50

HG150 = CPW average 70. Every one we rated was 70

HG200 = CPW average 95. Low was 92, high was 95

HG250 = CPW average 125. Low was 122, high was 125

HG300 = CPW average 155. Low was 149, high was 158

HG350 = CPW average 190. Low was 189, high was 195

Also, we took measurements of the spread out of the package and then after reps and rating for all of them.

On average the grippers lost 5mm of spread.

The average spread out of the package was 65mm or 2.56 inches.

The average spread after reps and rating was 60mm or 2.36 inches.

Overall, not too shabby stats for a $14.95 gripper. :)

• Like 6

Those are some pretty consistent numbers Matt, regardless of what brand TSG's they are. Thanks for sharing the new ratings...Let alone all the work it takes to obtain them. Just placed another order today! Keep up the good work. :rock

P.S. Is CPW the same, or similar to RGC?

Yes, Matt RGCs grippers. You can either buy them from him already RGC-ed or send him your grippers to be RGC-ed.

• Like 1

P.S. Is CPW the same, or similar to RGC?

Yes, Matt RGCs grippers. You can either buy them from him already RGC-ed or send him your grippers to be RGC-ed.

Nah. I was confused by the "CPW". But then, a big "Doh!" escaped me as I realized that CPW stands for Cannon Powerworks. Never mind the newb.

• Like 2

About 6 months ago I tried to TNS a buddies 300 and no wonder it felt like a brick!! At the time I thought they were all easy store bought grippers. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

my hg 250 is only 116lb. spread is narrow and easy for TNS attempts. It should have carryover to CCS heavier grippers as its spread is only a few mm wider than a credit card

• Like 1

my hg 250 is only 116lb. spread is narrow and easy for TNS attempts. It should have carryover to CCS heavier grippers as its spread is only a few mm wider than a credit card

This sounds more like my HG250. I don't think mine is in the 120+ range at all.

just measured its spread 60mm

I can't help but comment on the pre rated CoCs. I noticed a CoC 2 117, CoC25 137lb and a CoC3 161! those are unusually high # compared to previous ratings.

• Like 1

Just checked the pre-rated grippers too and seems it will be more harder to cert in future. Lets say its like ~5lbs increase in average.. a lot of work!

• Like 1

I can't help but comment on the pre rated CoCs. I noticed a CoC 2 117, CoC25 137lb and a CoC3 161! those are unusually high # compared to previous ratings.

I noticed this too. A few weeks back 2 x ~135 #2.5's went up in the pre rated section briefly, now as you say everything from 2 to 3.5 is higher.

they are almost overlapping, theres a 117 #2 and according to the ratings data there has been 117 #2.5('s), and theres only 1lb difference between the 137 #2.5 and the 138 #3

the 117lb #2 is probably the biggest jump, imagine if a woman went for a cert and got one of those, over 10% harder!!

• Like 1

I noticed this too. A few weeks back 2 x ~135 #2.5's went up in the pre rated section briefly, now as you say everything from 2 to 3.5 is higher.

they are almost overlapping, theres a 117 #2 and according to the ratings data there has been 117 #2.5('s), and theres only 1lb difference between the 137 #2.5 and the 138 #3

the 117lb #2 is probably the biggest jump, imagine if a woman went for a cert and got one of those, over 10% harder!!

Or that 161 #3! I want to, one day, cert on the CoC #3. It looks like a person has to train well above the target just to be safe.

Good points all....Not to start a conspiracy theory thing lol...but with more and more people certifying on the #3 maybe its Ironminds way of "raising the bar" (???)

Having said that...I want to fully disclosure...that I purchased several of those 2.5's in the 130's lol lol

• Like 1

I really wish manufacturers would start to offer calibrated grippers. It's almost impossible to get rated grippers, the demand is just too high.

I dunno. Rated grippers can be useful I guess, like in a competition setting. As for training though, I have more of a Strossen view: if a #3 is harder than another, just squeeze it harder. I have a 150# gripper and a 180# gripper and I use those as approximate references for the rest.

I think people stress too much about ratings.

Yes just press harder, doesn't matter if you're benching 200 kg or 210 kg :yikes

The reason IM has that view is because their business tactics are poor. Just look at how fast rated grippers sell and you'll understand what I mean.

If you order weight plates you'd want a 5 kg plate if you order one not a 10 kg or 2.5 kg plate. I really don't get why people think it's any different with grippers, because it really isn't.

And I also don't think that people stress too much about gripper ratings. It's more that IM's certification process is poor and extremely unfair.

Well, rant over. I also wish that there was more pre-rating from Cannon but I understand that he has a life also and can't rate grippers all day every day. Thats why I would love to see calibrated grippers from the factory, just like there's calibrated weight plates available.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1

Yes just press harder, doesn't matter if you're benching 200 kg or 210 kg :yikes

The reason IM has that view is because their business tactics are poor. Just look at how fast rated grippers sell and you'll understand what I mean.

If you order weight plates you'd want a 5 kg plate if you order one not a 10 kg or 2.5 kg plate. I really don't get why people think it's any different with grippers, because it really isn't.

And I also don't think that people stress too much about gripper ratings. It's more that IM's certification process is poor and extremely unfair.

Well, rant over. I also wish that there was more pre-rating from Cannon but I understand that he has a life also and can't rate grippers all day every day. Thats why I would love to see calibrated grippers from the factory, just like there's calibrated weight plates available.

I like rated grippers as much as the next guy...heck I just purchased 9 of them ...but there is no way (in my opinion) Ironmind or Matt would rate every gripper they sell...lets use a COC #3 as an example... they would quickly sell every sub 140lb #3 ...followed quickly by the 140-145 lb #3's and the very heavy #3's also would sell....however the other poundages the 147's - 151's - 155's which are the majority I'm sure... would just sit on the shelves for a LONG time ...because people would just wait for a number they're looking for to come out....we are all very fortunate that Matt every few months does this for us...AND doesn't charge a premium for the more desirable ones ...Thanks Matt ! Edited by Dreadnought

I like rated grippers as much as the next guy...heck I just purchased 9 of them ...but there is no way (in my opinion) Ironmind or Matt would rate every gripper they sell...lets use a COC #3 as an example... they would quickly sell every sub 140lb #3 ...followed quickly by the 140-145 lb #3's and the very heavy #3's also would sell....however the other poundages the 147's - 151's - 155's which are the majority I'm sure... would just sit on the shelves for a LONG time ...because people would just wait for a number they're looking for to come out....we are all very fortunate that Matt every few months does this for us...AND doesn't charge a premium for the more desirable ones ...Thanks Matt !

Not asking anyone to rate every gripper they make. Just as Eleiko or any other professional manufacurer doesn't calibrate every weight plate they offer.

The thing is, Matt could charge extra money for pre-rated grippers if he wanted to, I would still buy them and I bet most people wouldn't mind paying extra for that either. But this is really not about retailers it's about production.

There's no point calibrating everything since there's both amateurs and professionals, same thing as with other training equipment. Beginners or amateurs doesn't need equipment with super tight tolerances.

I like rated grippers as much as the next guy...heck I just purchased 9 of them ...but there is no way (in my opinion) Ironmind or Matt would rate every gripper they sell...lets use a COC #3 as an example... they would quickly sell every sub 140lb #3 ...followed quickly by the 140-145 lb #3's and the very heavy #3's also would sell....however the other poundages the 147's - 151's - 155's which are the majority I'm sure... would just sit on the shelves for a LONG time ...because people would just wait for a number they're looking for to come out....we are all very fortunate that Matt every few months does this for us...AND doesn't charge a premium for the more desirable ones ...Thanks Matt !

Not asking anyone to rate every gripper they make. Just as Eleiko or any other professional manufacurer doesn't calibrate every weight plate they offer.

The thing is, Matt could charge extra money for pre-rated grippers if he wanted to, I would still buy them and I bet most people wouldn't mind paying extra for that either. But this is really not about retailers it's about production.

There's no point calibrating everything since there's both amateurs and professionals, same thing as with other training equipment. Beginners or amateurs doesn't need equipment with super tight tolerances.

I can't see any manufacturer offering calibrated grippers anytime soon, for them to do that it would mean admitting that there are differences (i'm not sure ironmind admit to the differences do they?) and the certification process would have to be changed (in ironmind's case)

It won't take long for you to find what you are looking for, a while back (from my perspective anyway) i needed something in the 130-140 range and there was nothing available. the main mid 130's gripper (GHP6's) were coming in at 125-130, and everthing else was jut too far out or a massive long shot. fast forward to today and i have 130, 133, 136 and 139 in my collection, and loads of 130's were up for grabs in the pre rated section from CPW last week.

The ratings will sell more grippers, why else would you buy multiples of the same thing? But the logistics of it don't make sense for mass production.

• Like 1

We rated some to get averages and also took down more information. I must say, I'm impressed at the consistency so far:

HG100 = CPW average 50. Low was 49, high was 50

HG150 = CPW average 70. Every one we rated was 70

HG200 = CPW average 95. Low was 92, high was 95

HG250 = CPW average 125. Low was 122, high was 125

HG300 = CPW average 155. Low was 149, high was 158

HG350 = CPW average 190. Low was 189, high was 195

Also, we took measurements of the spread out of the package and then after reps and rating for all of them.

On average the grippers lost 5mm of spread.

The average spread out of the package was 65mm or 2.56 inches.

The average spread after reps and rating was 60mm or 2.36 inches.

Overall, not too shabby stats for a $14.95 gripper. :)

Average of how many?

• Like 1

On the website it says the Matt brought in about 600lbs of IM grippers and about 300lbs + worth of heavy grips?

Correct me if I'm wrong!