Finished My Calibration Rig And Tested Some Steel

Tim71

Ordered in a special order batch of 3/8 and at gold nail dimensions it hit 530 pounds which is exactly what I was wanting.

This should be a good last bar to conquer before the Gold.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more tonight.

Triangle 1/4 inch by 6 inch G5. 382.5 pounds.

"S" 1/4 inch by 6 inch G8. 495 pounds.

I was really hoping this Chinese G8 would be lighter and around 450 or so but that was not the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Tim. You are very serious about this and I am eager to know more about your calibration. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Tested some 70ds that I have.

#395 pounds

#415 pounds

#445 pounds

#445 pounds

#520 pounds

That last one is freaky hard for a 70d.

Also tested a mutant hard Canadian 80d that hit 630 pounds. Second hardest one I've ever bent.

Of the calibration rig? I'll try to take one or next video I make I'll pan over to it. You can see the end of it in most of my videos. It's setting on my benchpress spot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got some steel from EJ to calibrate and first up is a mean looking black 5/16 by 7 inch G5 bolt with a triangle on the head. It hit a whopping 585 pounds.

Very nice bolt.

Got some steel from EJ to calibrate and first up is a mean looking black 5/16 by 7 inch G5 bolt with a triangle on the head. It hit a whopping 585 pounds.

Very nice bolt.

And I just bent one of those in IMPs. I knew they were tough but not that tough. Holy shit!

This is just from what I've personally experienced. But I think the Edgins have gotten harder over the years. I remember 5-6 years ago when almost all of them were in the 540ish range. It used to be just a small step up from the FBBC shiny bastards. But now the Edgins are almost all consistently over 570, some even a tad over 600 from what I've read over the recent years!

David, I would say that even 1/4 inch G5 and G8s have gotten harder as well. Used to be 500 pounds was a freak of a G8 and the G9s hit 485 but now it's not that uncommon.

I've got some old ones put back as well and they do feel different so it's not just calibration differences.

• 1 month later...

Tested a batch of 5/16 CRS tonight from another supplier and it hit 291 pounds at 7 inches. Lowest I've ever had or heard of.

• Like 2

Yeah I couldn't believe it at first.

I would also love to see some photos of your testing setup.

I'll try to take a photo and post it. When I'm home it's just not something I think of.

Here's the pics of the calibratinator.

Also, after input from Eric, I now know why I was having to move my clamps further out to the ends than he was and even then, I always felt like my numbers on the 8 3/8 inch stuff were on the high side.

Turns out the 2 chains connected to the ends were twice as long as the ones Eric was using. On the 7 inch and shorter stuff, moving the clamps out made it come out the same but on this longer stuff the angle of the force was making some difference.

How much difference could small change like this make?

Well, I just calibrated another Gold nail and it was 550 pounds compared to the 600 plus pounds I got the first time.

post-8847-0-63108900-1410916305_thumb.jp

post-8847-0-78787500-1410916375_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Calibrated a gold nail from an older batch that EJ sent me and it hit 575 pounds.

Red nail with new setup = 435 pounds.

My 5/16 CRS @ 7 inches - 450 pounds.

You're welcome.

Thanks. I bet I built and reconfigured this thing 100 times in my head before landing on this design.

Once I beef up the attachment point on the left side, I could go up to 1500 pounds or better. I've went up to 827 as it is.

This final setup is turning out numbers dead on with Eric's which is what I want because it's what we're all used to. Really it's best to keep at a certain length like 7 inches as much as possible because at 8 3/8 inches, the 3/4 inch from the ends of the bar is a different percentage of the total length of the bar. Then you have to look at the chain length. Realistically, I could increase the chain length the same percentage that the bar increases to keep the angle the same, but how neurotic do I want to take it?

So what I'm saying is this even though the Gold nail hit 550 to 575 pounds at 8 3/8 inches, realistically, that number would increase if it was all scaled up so to speak. As Eric said many years ago in his calibration thread, it's useful to get a comparison of stock of the same length and I agree with that 100%.

Now that I've nerded out and took this to an unhealthy level, here's another calibration:

Triangle G5 6 inch by 1/4 bolt. 391.5 pounds. Eric calibrated this years ago at 390 for me.

Red nail with new setup = 435 pounds.

My 5/16 CRS @ 7 inches - 450 pounds.

Thanks for the info, Tim. Is this a newer Red Nail that rated at 435? My Reds are from about three years ago, do you have an idea what those might rate at?