Race To The Red Nail

Chez

tried the grade 5 in Ironmind pads tonight. I did a gripper workout earlier today so I'm not sure how much that affect me but I could only kink it. Pissed off now and vow revenge.

tried the grade 5 in Ironmind pads tonight. I did a gripper workout earlier today so I'm not sure how much that affect me but I could only kink it. Pissed off now and vow revenge.

Haha, revenge.

I'm in on this. I will throw the red nail in on this years goals. I did a GR5 in IMPS yesterday, a bit tougher. If anyone can critique my bending I have a video posted in my training log.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=38440

Great topic! Im in!

This is what I can do to a G5 bolt in suede:

IM wraps should make it a bit easier.

On to the red!

:)

very nice guys. I figure I need to add a video since I started this topic. I ran out to home depot during lunch and picked up 60d 6 inch galvanized timber ties. They feel slightly harder than a blue nail. I just finished bending 3 DO in IMPS. Here is a video of the second one:

IMPS:

Last week with suede wraps:

http://youtu.be/3ze_o1aapbc

Did a couple of GR5 bends after dinner. Forgot to hit play on the first one which sucked, because I did not want to do a second. Much tougher in IMPS!!

wow, you guys are destroying grade 5 bolts. I need to catch up. Very impressive guys.

Volumework this morning, to practice the DO. Reverse is much easier for me at this point!

Bent 12 cut 60D nails, 1 greenie and 1 EN1 CRS 8mm 6inch.

http://photo.net/pho...5595212&size=md

Great work!

I tried to bend a G5 that FrankD gave me, and I couldn't even get a slight kink in it. It didn't even budge! I even tried bending it over my leg, but no matter what I did, it was still straight as an arrow. Darn :blink

I can't kink a G5 bolt DO either, yet. Reverse style is just what I practised exclusively in bending so far.

We'll get there!

:)

Volumework this morning, to practice the DO. Reverse is much easier for me at this point!

Bent 12 cut 60D nails, 1 greenie and 1 EN1 CRS 8mm 6inch.

http://photo.net/pho...5595212&size=md

Great work!

I tried to bend a G5 that FrankD gave me, and I couldn't even get a slight kink in it. It didn't even budge! I even tried bending it over my leg, but no matter what I did, it was still straight as an arrow. Darn :blink

very nice guys. I figure I need to add a video since I started this topic. I ran out to home depot during lunch and picked up 60d 6 inch galvanized timber ties. They feel slightly harder than a blue nail. I just finished bending 3 DO in IMPS. Here is a video of the second one:

Those are the same ones I bought from Home Depot but you found them harder than the blue? In your vid you made that blue look like it was made out of rubber. Based off my experience and what I've read so far the 60D timber ties are good for warm ups. Maybe you ended up getting a really strong batch. I've heard a few people getting surprisingly strong timber ties but I think it's by chance. Remind me before the tourney and I'll bring some of the ones i got so you can see if it's the same strength or not.

Maybe the 6 inch timber tie's aren't as hard as the blue. It is honestly really hard to tell since I'm so new to bending. Some days I feel super strong and others crazy weak with bending. My hands need to get conditioned to it so I'm more consistent like I am with grippers. I'll just destroy the whole box of these and get my form down then go after the Grade 5 bolt.

So all my bending stock came today. I was surprised by how much bigger the yellow is than the green. I can destroy the green, but I can't even kink the yellow. I pre-bent one to maybe 30* and it took me maybe 5 minutes to finish it using my whole body. It turned into a cardio day. :laugh

Hub turned out good though. It came today and managed to get some good weight up.

All of you benders are crazy!

So all my bending stock came today. I was surprised by how much bigger the yellow is than the green. I can destroy the green, but I can't even kink the yellow. I pre-bent one to maybe 30* and it took me maybe 5 minutes to finish it using my whole body. It turned into a cardio day. :laugh

Hub turned out good though. It came today and managed to get some good weight up.

All of you benders are crazy!

ya, the jump from green to yellow is huge and so is the jump from blue to red. Wait to you see how scary a red nail is.

All,

buy lots of grade 5's, grade 8s, 5/16th x 7" HRS, 5/16ths x 7" Grade 2s and 5/16th x 7" Steelworks CRS ... not sure about other brands, but if you have access to a homedepot, they have steelworks there. Steelworks will get you used to the 5/16th" stock but is easier than Reds ... also get some leather, for sure, because there is nothing better than gaining confidence knowing that you've bend some 5/16ths stock in leather and then working your way to thinner wraps like IMPS. Feel yourself out ... if your hands/fingers start to hurt bad, lay off. Then go for a PR once you've had plenty of rest ... if you don't hit your PR, work back down to something managable and train volume for that workout. Repeat. Plenty of stretching and chest workouts will help also. In addition, I like to bend at the end of other grip work ... it gets me and my hands primed. Chop chop

• Like 1

I am in on this. I was Training for the Red and got to a Grade 8 X 6" DO in IM Pad's. But I am Training for the WSH 2012 at the moment and I only Reverse Bend. After the WSH I will return to DO Bending and start Chasing the Red again.

Edited by Jarrod Riordan

I am in on this. I was Training for the Red and got to a Grade 8 X 6" DO in IM Pad's. But I am Training for the WSH 2012 at the moment and I only Reverse Bend. After the WSH I will return to DO Bending and start Chasing the Red again.

Welcome aboard Jarrod. Sounds like you were getting close to the red so I'm sure you will take it down soon. I did a little more volume today. I bent 5 of those 60d timber tie's DO in IMPs. I experimented with the wrapping a little. I bent in one IMP, 2 IMPs with a tri fold and 2 IMPs with a four fold. The top guys recommend the tri fold so I'll stick with that. I'm going to take a run this weekend to AC Moore and pick up some suede wraps. bending still hurts a little so I need to keep doing volume work to toughen up my hands.

All,

buy lots of grade 5's, grade 8s, 5/16th x 7" HRS, 5/16ths x 7" Grade 2s and 5/16th x 7" Steelworks CRS ... not sure about other brands, but if you have access to a homedepot, they have steelworks there. Steelworks will get you used to the 5/16th" stock but is easier than Reds ... also get some leather, for sure, because there is nothing better than gaining confidence knowing that you've bend some 5/16ths stock in leather and then working your way to thinner wraps like IMPS. Feel yourself out ... if your hands/fingers start to hurt bad, lay off. Then go for a PR once you've had plenty of rest ... if you don't hit your PR, work back down to something managable and train volume for that workout. Repeat. Plenty of stretching and chest workouts will help also. In addition, I like to bend at the end of other grip work ... it gets me and my hands primed. Chop chop

Thanks for the heads up. How hard are the GR2's compared to the IM nail?

Welcome aboard Jarrod. Sounds like you were getting close to the red so I'm sure you will take it down soon. I did a little more volume today. I bent 5 of those 60d timber tie's DO in IMPs. I experimented with the wrapping a little. I bent in one IMP, 2 IMPs with a tri fold and 2 IMPs with a four fold. The top guys recommend the tri fold so I'll stick with that. I'm going to take a run this weekend to AC Moore and pick up some suede wraps. bending still hurts a little so I need to keep doing volume work to toughen up my hands.

Thanks. I was getting Close to the Red and making good gain's Every Week. Once the WSH is over I will get back to chasing the Red. Yes I also did Volume Bending to Toughen the Hand's & Also only Bent in IM Pad's & Single Horne Suede. At the moment I am Working My way up the World Of Grip TORQUE Reverse Bending Cert List.

Edited by Jarrod Riordan
  • Like 1

The 60D timber ties definitely vary like crazy. I bent some more today and one as completely easy (I barely hard to do anything) and another I had to work hard for. They noticeably different lengths as well when they are suppose to all be 6 inches long.

All,

quite a bit easier unless you get a "freak" grade 2, but most are pretty darn easy.

If you guys are willing to spend the money, I would buy all 7" stock ... just buy drill rod from Fastenal that way you can buy all different diameters, but I would stick with 7" if you plan on certing on a 7" red nail

All,

quite a bit easier unless you get a "freak" grade 2, but most are pretty darn easy.

If you guys are willing to spend the money, I would buy all 7" stock ... just buy drill rod from Fastenal that way you can buy all different diameters, but I would stick with 7" if you plan on certing on a 7" red nail

That makes sense. Thanks for the advice Paul.

All,

I am going make a order from Fastenal this week. On their website they have A2, O1, and W1 drill rod. Which ones should I order?

• Like 1

All,

Tips to live by :bow

All,

I am going make a order from Fastenal this week. On their website they have A2, O1, and W1 drill rod. Which ones should I order?

I bend 0-1 drill rod ... That's what I would get