Question About Super Squats Hip Belt

Anthony C.

Hello,

I was hoping to hear from mr. Strossen on this one, as well as anyone who owns this belt. I have owned the super squats hip belt for years now, but for whatever reason, never got to using it until now. The problem is, I bought it when my size was a small, and now I would need it in a size medium. The belt fits around my waist snugly, but the blue strap isn't long enough to double around the back like it says in the instructions to do. I'm wondering, could the belt hold let's say 400.pounds without doubling the the strap around the back? I'd hate to have to buy a new belt.

I should also mention that I attach the weight via loading pin on the front of the belt.

Thank you!

Edited by Anthony C.

My first question would be: do you really need the belt to handle 400 lbs? I use my IM hip squat belt the same way you are using yours (with a loading pin in the front), and although I'm fairly strong in a regular back squat, I can't handle anywhere near 400 lbs on the belt squats. For some reason, I find that the weight feels a whole lot heavier on the belt than it does when I have a bar across my back.

My first question would be: do you really need the belt to handle 400 lbs? I use my IM hip squat belt the same way you are using yours (with a loading pin in the front), and although I'm fairly strong in a regular back squat, I can't handle anywhere near 400 lbs on the belt squats. For some reason, I find that the weight feels a whole lot heavier on the belt than it does when I have a bar across my back.

good point. I guess I was asking more in terms of if I ever get to that level. My max squat is around 350 (barbell squat) so no, I probably won't. I havent really had a session of squats with the hip belt yet, so I don't know what to expect. So you think I shouldn't have a problem with not double looping?

I'm not IronMind so take this for what it's worth. Your hip belt is 1" climbing webbing (and I'm VERY familiar with that). Breaking strength is 4000# or so depending on brand, age etc. So the webbing is not going to break with any load you will squat with it - double or single. What I don't know is the slippage rating on the buckle with single pass - at what load will that happen? But my guess is at a much greater load than you will ever belt squat. Perhaps if you use it for something like a hip lift? But even then you can back pass the buckle and be fine I feel. Contact IM and ask Randall - I'm sure the thing is so overbuilt you'll never hurt it.

• Like 1

good point. I guess I was asking more in terms of if I ever get to that level. My max squat is around 350 (barbell squat) so no, I probably won't. I havent really had a session of squats with the hip belt yet, so I don't know what to expect. So you think I shouldn't have a problem with not double looping?

I don't think you'll have an issue, but I would start real light just to make sure everything is okay. I really enjoy training with my hip belt. I use lighter weights and high reps and it's a nice change of pace from heavy back squats. One thing to consider is that you may want to find yourself some blocks to stand on while using your belt..........it's going to be tough to get a good range of motion without them. Best wishes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, guys. I will definitely start light. I never plan on doing hip lifts with it, so that shouldn't be a problem. I also foresaw that ROM issue and so I made some blocks out of milk crates and wood. They seem fairly sturdy. Again, thank you for your responses!

Anthony -

Very sorry for the delay in answering, but I just saw your post.

Are you sure you can't do a couple of passes through the "eyes" on the belt and then double-pass the buckle? If you can, you are probably still in the 4-figure load range (in pounds). And yes, 400 lb. used in the traditional hip belt squat style (i.e., straddling a bar) is very difficult—in the early days of selling the SUPER SQUATS Hip Belt, we had 2 customers who could squat about 800 lb. as powerlifters and neither could do 200 lb. on the SUPER SQUATS Hip Belt in this style, so this is why we always say to people, If anyone is laughing at the weight you use on hip belt squats, let them it.

Hope this helps and I will try to check back if you have more questions, and always feel free to contact sales@ironmind.com if you have questions about IronMind products—the people there are friendly and helpful.

Anthony -

Are you sure you can't do a couple of passes through the "eyes" on the belt and then double-pass the buckle? If you can, you are probably still in the 4-figure load range (in pounds). And yes, 400 lb. used in the traditional hip belt squat style (i.e., straddling a bar) is very difficult—in the early days of selling the SUPER SQUATS Hip Belt, we had 2 customers who could squat about 800 lb. as powerlifters and neither could do 200 lb. on the SUPER SQUATS Hip Belt in this style, so this is why we always say to people, If anyone is laughing at the weight you use on hip belt squats, let them it.

Hope this helps and I will try to check back if you have more questions, and always feel free to contact sales@ironmind.com if you have questions about IronMind products—the people there are friendly and helpful.

Thank you! Since then I have posted this thread I ran a few tests on the belt with a loading pin and just lifting it off the floor with my hips, and I'm confident that even single looped, it will always stay strong. This is a finely built piece of equipment, as is everything I purchase from Ironmind.

Anthony -

Thank you! Since then I have posted this thread I ran a few tests on the belt with a loading pin and just lifting it off the floor with my hips, and I'm confident that even single looped, it will always stay strong. This is a finely built piece of equipment, as is everything I purchase from Ironmind.

Anthony -

Thank you and good for you for running those tests.

Using the extra couple of passes through the eyes on the SUPER SQUATS Hip Belt ramps up it's breaking strength to the tons, so that's far more than most of us will ever need, and one wrap + a double pass on the buckle is likely to be strong enough for nearly everyone, but doing a test first, as you did, really is the wise thing to do.

Hope you enjoy your SUPER SQUATS Hip Belt for many years of productive training!

• Like 1

I worked up to about 185/205# range on a loading pin on the front last year with the super squats belt, and the only problem I had was the belt digging into my hips/upper thigh. I tightened it and added extra towels in those spots, and it worked out well. I will certainly rotate it into my workouts again. I was surprised at how different it felt from front squats or zercher squats, but I guess with the center of gravity set further back, it hits the muscles in a new way.

I worked up to about 185/205# range on a loading pin on the front last year with the super squats belt, and the only problem I had was the belt digging into my hips/upper thigh. I tightened it and added extra towels in those spots, and it worked out well. I will certainly rotate it into my workouts again. I was surprised at how different it felt from front squats or zercher squats, but I guess with the center of gravity set further back, it hits the muscles in a new way.

Yep, i had 170 in the same style as you are talking about, and it bruised up my hips pretty bad. A member on here told me your skin gets used to that eventually, but I must admit I'm reluctant to give it another go.

• Like 1