Domination Of The Pink Weights

dpc

4/16/16

Upper

Wide grip bench (fingers one inch outside of the outside ring)
barx6x2
65x6
85x6
100x6
115x6
125x6
could have gone up in weight but this was my limit wihout a spotter. I noticed that this wide grip really helps me feel the feeling of shoving my upper back into the bench. I felt much more stable with this super illegal wide grip. Might do them more often just to teach that tightness int he upperback.

Flat bench DB press
30x10
35x10
40x10
45x11 (I don't drop weights like a tool and I mistimed when to sit up with the weights above me so I had to do an extra rep to reset

Wide grip pulldown
85x10
100x10
115x10
120x10
This is the heaviest I've ever done on a pulldown without feeling any tension in my biceps. I was able to fully contract my lats without feeling I was working the biceps at all.

Face pull
80x15x4

4/18/16

Lower
Rack pull from about 18" (that is an estimate with my eye. Going to bring a tape measure there next time)
115x5x2
135x3
160x3
185x3
add belt
205x2 (pinched my groin between my belt and legs and then proceeded to slam the bar into it on the weigh up. Awesome)
225x2
240x2
255x1
275x1
Obviously happy about that. I actually realized during the workout that I had just done a max effort squat on Friday and usually allow more time in between. But the weights I do aren't crazy so my CNS was fine. I won't do another max effort day now for a bit.

Box squats with body weight
5 sets of 15 reps

I was really trying to work on form here. I notice that I'm kind of falling onto the box during the last few inches of the descent and feel a lot of tightness in my hamstrings. This means two things. 1) I am doing the movement correctly (to the best of my knowledge). The fact that my hamstrings are giving out and my quads aren't taking over means that I'm putting my hamstrings and glutes in the strongest position, which is good. It also means 2) my hamstrings are weaker than Erik Bommersbach.

Back extension
bodyweightx8
15x8
25x8x2

No matter how I add weight it's always uncomfortable. This gym has those premade bars with weight on them so I might try and throw those on my back like a squat while I do it.

Pulldown abs with cable stack
90x10
100x10
80x12
Now the 100 wasn't too heavy, but I've found that the heavier I go on these the less I can feel it in my abs. MATT Do you think I should just keep progressing heavier if I feel I'm not overcompensating with another muscle group or should I stay with a lighter weight where I can feel the abs working more?

QUESTION FOR YOU MATT:
This new gym is the first gym I've been to with chains. Now they don't have an extension for the chains so squats and bench press movements are out. But I could do them with rack pulls and deadlift variations. Thoughts? Anything to consider? I guess all I know about them from reading is that there should always be chains on the floor no matter what. If at anytime the chains are completely off the floor, it's bad.

Second question: I love floor presses but the two racks we have for them aren't hte greatest. The first one doensn't have pin holes low enough for me. It's about a half an inch to tall so I have to kind of press it out of the rack and lose my tightness. The second one has j-hooks that are like 5 inches deep, so I'd have to push it out and then over all of the j-hook.. anything you can think of I could do? Maybe throw a few exercise mats under me for the first rack?

16 hours ago, dpc said:

4/18/16

Lower
Rack pull from about 18" (that is an estimate with my eye. Going to bring a tape measure there next time)
115x5x2
135x3
160x3
185x3
add belt
205x2 (pinched my groin between my belt and legs and then proceeded to slam the bar into it on the weigh up. Awesome)
225x2
240x2
255x1
275x1
Obviously happy about that. I actually realized during the workout that I had just done a max effort squat on Friday and usually allow more time in between. But the weights I do aren't crazy so my CNS was fine. I won't do another max effort day now for a bit.

Box squats with body weight
5 sets of 15 reps

I was really trying to work on form here. I notice that I'm kind of falling onto the box during the last few inches of the descent and feel a lot of tightness in my hamstrings. This means two things. 1) I am doing the movement correctly (to the best of my knowledge). The fact that my hamstrings are giving out and my quads aren't taking over means that I'm putting my hamstrings and glutes in the strongest position, which is good. It also means 2) my hamstrings are weaker than Erik Bommersbach.

Back extension
bodyweightx8
15x8
25x8x2

No matter how I add weight it's always uncomfortable. This gym has those premade bars with weight on them so I might try and throw those on my back like a squat while I do it.

90x10
100x10
80x12
Now the 100 wasn't too heavy, but I've found that the heavier I go on these the less I can feel it in my abs. MATT Do you think I should just keep progressing heavier if I feel I'm not overcompensating with another muscle group or should I stay with a lighter weight where I can feel the abs working more?

QUESTION FOR YOU MATT:
This new gym is the first gym I've been to with chains. Now they don't have an extension for the chains so squats and bench press movements are out. But I could do them with rack pulls and deadlift variations. Thoughts? Anything to consider? I guess all I know about them from reading is that there should always be chains on the floor no matter what. If at anytime the chains are completely off the floor, it's bad.

Second question: I love floor presses but the two racks we have for them aren't hte greatest. The first one doensn't have pin holes low enough for me. It's about a half an inch to tall so I have to kind of press it out of the rack and lose my tightness. The second one has j-hooks that are like 5 inches deep, so I'd have to push it out and then over all of the j-hook.. anything you can think of I could do? Maybe throw a few exercise mats under me for the first rack?

First off congrats on the PR, I would agree and keep focusing on building your strength base before getting too close to max weights again.  

For the box squat bit, I would have to see a video to really put in my opinion on that but sounds about right to me.  Does Erik check your log?  Haha

I prefer to load the back extension by holding a barbell in my hands, and treating it like a fixed position deadlift (pete rubbish does these alot and these are probably why my deadlift was a strong lift for me in high school), or you can loop a band around the base of the stand and then loop the other end either around your neck or in a top curl position

With the ab machine I would probably switch the exercise to something that always has the abs fail before another group takes over.  For me this is banded incline situps, I absolutely love that exercise.  I also like high rep hanging knee raises (put your elbows in those sleeves that can hang from a bar).

If you buy a carabiner clip or can find one you can make a loop with the chain and put the loop on the loadable part of the bar between two plates for bench or squat movements.  By extension do you mean the chains are short?  I watch some of the best guys at ehop do chained deadlifts where the chains come off the floor, so I don't think it would be terrible.  I would add them on days where you are not feeling your best and use them to build a little extra strength at the top end.

For the floor presses I would try to find something as solid as possible to put under me, you want to make sure it doesn't have too much give so mats may not cut it.  Plates might be a good thing to try to put under you, maybe one under each elbow and one under the mid back for support and  a mat over that

On 4/19/2016 at 0:42 PM, MattM said:

First off congrats on the PR, I would agree and keep focusing on building your strength base before getting too close to max weights again.  

For the box squat bit, I would have to see a video to really put in my opinion on that but sounds about right to me.  Does Erik check your log?  Haha

I prefer to load the back extension by holding a barbell in my hands, and treating it like a fixed position deadlift (pete rubbish does these alot and these are probably why my deadlift was a strong lift for me in high school), or you can loop a band around the base of the stand and then loop the other end either around your neck or in a top curl position

With the ab machine I would probably switch the exercise to something that always has the abs fail before another group takes over.  For me this is banded incline situps, I absolutely love that exercise.  I also like high rep hanging knee raises (put your elbows in those sleeves that can hang from a bar).

If you buy a carabiner clip or can find one you can make a loop with the chain and put the loop on the loadable part of the bar between two plates for bench or squat movements.  By extension do you mean the chains are short?  I watch some of the best guys at ehop do chained deadlifts where the chains come off the floor, so I don't think it would be terrible.  I would add them on days where you are not feeling your best and use them to build a little extra strength at the top end.

For the floor presses I would try to find something as solid as possible to put under me, you want to make sure it doesn't have too much give so mats may not cut it.  Plates might be a good thing to try to put under you, maybe one under each elbow and one under the mid back for support and  a mat over that

I never thought of that for the back extension. I can't wait to try it. Thanks

Situps and knee raises for some reason tend to make my legs really sore, the top of my thighs where they meet my abs. I need to learn to lift my legs with my abs.

I have never used chains so when researching them a few places said to always have some chain on the floor otherwise the bar can start to sway from the chains being able to sway. This isn't first hand experience, just stuff I read. But yeah i might look into getting an extension for the chains and just bring them anytime I need to use them.

Maybe I can put a fitness box under me? Only issue would be my elbows might break parallel and that would then kind of turn into a legless bench. Thanks for all your advice.

4/21/16

Upper
Standing Pin Press with bar at mouth level
barx5
60x5
80x3
100x3
115x2
Add belt
130x1
140x1
150x1

This was my absolute one rep max on this. I couldn't have lifted 151 if I wanted to. Felt good, but I could feel the effects of this single rep for the rest of the workout.

DB Incline press
30x10
40x10
50x8
I've done 45x20 but the pin press really killed me.

Medium neutral grip seated row
70x10x2
85x10
100x10

Seated DB power clean
15x10x2
20x10
First time doing these. Liked them.

4/23/16

Extra upper body workout
Did this at my gym in the apartment complex.

Did 5 sets of lying rolling db extensions

Did 5 sets of face pulls

Did 5 sets of incline DB flys

Did some cable stack abs

4/25/16

Lower

Sumo pull (stance had the middle of my shins where the ring is)
95x5
115x3
135x3
155x2
175x2
add belt
195x2
215x1
230x1
240x1

Bodyweight box squat
4 sets of 15

Back extension
x8
30x8x3
So I tried setting the weight bar on the ground and basically holding it like a deadlift and lifting up with my back. THe only issue is my arms are way too long.... I had to basically half curl the bar and hold it there throughout the movement.

Side bend away from cable stack (held weight on low setting and then bent away from the stack)
60x10x3
Not sure if this worked well or not. We will see if I have any soreness in my obliques. My lower back was so pumped and sore that everything I did was effecting it so that may have been hiding the stress on the obliques.

4/27/16

Upper

Bench Press
barx5
65x3
85x3
100x3
120x3
135x3
150x1
160x1
175x1

My goal today was to hit 170, a PR tie. But after the 160, I felt I could do 175. Came off well and didn't really struggle through it. 25 pounds more than what I did about 5 weeks back.

Flat bench DB fly
20x10x2
25x10x2

Wide grip pulldown
100x10x2
115x10

Seated DB power clean
15x10x3

Side bends with a plate
3 sets of 12 on each side

Obviously a good day.

Public gym moment of the day:
There is this older lady who comes in to work out a few times a week. She just wears her office clothes and comes in. Whenever she gets to the pulldown machine (not the cable stack but with actual handles) she does something odd.... she basically grabs the handles, sits down, then keeps her arms perfectly straight and lets her head hang off the back of her neck as if her neck was broken. She then just hinges at the waist and brings the weight down with her arms totally straight, all while her head is hanging off of her neck like a loose tooth. Hilarious looking.

So I woke up a few days ago and my back was killing me. It wasn't any back pain I've ever experienced and it was probably about a week after my last lower body day. I didn't even do anything. I was walking around at walmart and it just hit. For 3 days I was pretty much stuck in bed. Yesterday I felt decent and today I felt almost 100%. Not sure what happened.

5/5/16
Lower

12 inch (estimate) pin pull with chains.
Weight is bar weight
barx5
115x3
135x3
155x3
175x3
Add belt
195x3
215x2
230x1
250x1 (Had more in me but didn't want to hurt my back)

Not sure how to judge the chain weight. I had it doubled up by connecting the bottom of the chain back to the top with a carabiner. I had about 26 links on each side in the air at the top of the lift. Need to remember to go and weigh the chains.

Side bends with plate
3 sets of 15

I didn't want to hurt my back so I called it there.

Check you hip mobility. Sound like you might have some issues there. Those out of the blue issue as the body is recovering can be a sign of something too tight and out of whack. Hip flexors and especially glutes. 

On 5/6/2016 at 7:10 PM, canthar said:

Check you hip mobility. Sound like you might have some issues there. Those out of the blue issue as the body is recovering can be a sign of something too tight and out of whack. Hip flexors and especially glutes. 

Thanks a lot for the advice. I was born with a spine issue in the lumbar region that is kind of unheard of so it could be a number of things. But I never felt pain like that so I'm leaning towards it being one of your ideas.

• Like 1

5/6/16

Upper

Floor Press with bench grip
barx5
65x5
85x3
105x3
125x3
140x2
150x1
160x1

I know that I probably had 10 more pounds in me, but didn't have a spotter so didn't want to tempt it.

Seated db press
25x10
35x10
40x10

Freemotion one handed row (weight per arm)
50x10
70x10
90x10

Planks
2 sets of 30 seconds

Back is pretty much normal now.

On 5/8/2016 at 4:28 PM, MattM said:

Rack Pulls and pressing are going through the roof!  I love it, good work man :rock

Thank you sir

5/11/16

Lower

Pulldown abs with cable stack warm up
70x10x2

Box Squat
barx5
95x3
115x3
135x3
155x3
add belt
185x3
205x2
225x1
235x1
Still feel like my midsection is my weakest point

Speed sumo deadlifts
95x3
115x1
135x1
155x1x6

Back extension
bodyweightx8
20x8
30x8x2

90x10
100x10

5/14/16

Upper

Close grip bench press
barx5
70x3x2
95x3
115x3
135x2
150x1
160x1

Free motion chest fly
35x12x3

Mid length neutral grip pulldown
85x10
100x10
115x10x2

Tricep extension with rope
60x12x4

Side bends with plate
3 sets of 12

• Like 1

Extra workout today that involved 

5 sets of dB extensions 

4 sets of side raises 

5 sets of wenning shrugs (not sure what else to call these. They are bent forward sitting down and shrugging with the lower trap and rhomboids)

3 sets of cable stack abs

3 sets of cable stack side bends

5/17/16

12 inch pull pin (I think 12 inches. Need to measure next time I'm there)
95x3
125x3
155x3
Add belt
185x3
205x2

Did this at 8 am and didn't have time to do anything after  

5/20/16

Upper

Wide grip bench press

Barx6

65x6

85x6

105x6

120x6

135x6

Close neutral grip pull down

85x10x2

100x10

Face pull

60x12x2

70x12x2

Tri extension with straight barbell

60x12

70x12x3

Lots of family here for a wedding so haven't been eating the best. Felt drained the whole day. 

• 2 weeks later...

5/28/16

Lower

Front Squat
barx3x3
75x3
95x3
115x3
135x1
This is the first time I've ever done a front squat. It took me a while to learn the hand placement and I'm still not happy with it. I think next week I'll try wrapping straps around the bars and holding them. Either way, I liked the front squat. Really had to use my midsection to hold myself up.

Box jumps to a height about 2 inches above my knees
4 sets of 5 jumps

Back extension
bodyx8
30x8
40x8x2

Leg raises out of the chair thing
4 sets of 8

5/29/16

Upper

Pin press at mouth level
barx3
75x3
95x3
115x2
130x1
Add belt
145x1
155x1

DB bench
35x20
35x15

Lying rolling tri extension
15x10x5

Freemotion cable pulldown
70x15
80x15x2

Face pull
60x15x3

6/3/16

Lower

Front Squat
barx3x2
70x3
95x3
115x3
add belt
135x2
150x1
165x1

A 30 pound PR from last week, but obivously not 30 pounds stronger. This was the second time I did this lift and felt much more comfortable with it. I also wrapped straps around the bar and held them and that felt more comfortable than holding the bar steady with my hands.

25" Box jump
4 sets of 5 jumps

Pullthrough
60x10
70x10x2

Side bend with plate
3 sets of 12

6/4/16

Upper

Close grip 45 degree incline bench
barx5
65x3
85x3
105x3
125x2
First time doing this lift. Did much more than what I thought I could do so happy with that.

Flat DB bench
35x20x2

Cable stack extension with rope
70x10x2
60x10x2

Seated cable stack row with neutral V-grip
85x10x2
100x10x3

DB seated power clean
15x10x3

Leg raises
2 sets of 8
Torso is sore from yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

6/13/16

Lower

So today I went with the intention of doing rack pulls. There is only one rack with guards on the side to do rack pulls with and a guy was squatting in the rack. He likes to max out so I knew it would be awhile so I changed it up.

Ab warm up

Sumo deadlift with shins at the power rings
135x3x2
155x3
175x3
195x2
Add belt
215x1
230x1
245x1

box squat with body weight

4 sets of 20

Adduction machine (never used this)
30x12
50x12x3

My ankle has been bothering me and I'm taking action on it finally. Long story short but my tibia isn't fitting into my foot correctly. It may be from the compound fracture I had, or it could actually be from the two cases of staph infection I had in the area. Regardless, my two options are to have surgery to break my leg and put it back in place (this might not fix anything thougih) or get a special brace made that holds my leg in place. I'm going for the latter. The brace won't heal or fix anything, but it'll hold my leg in place when I wear it. This way if I walk aorund for 8 hours it will be held correctly, and then when I put on shoes to squat in I won't have the daily wear and tear of the ankle. Should have it in about 3 weeks.