Training For Grip Nationals 2013

EricMilfeld

I actually just like the taste of V-8.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Lol. J/k. My kid likes it too. I'll buy it if she likes it but I won't go near it. Kudos you two have the taste for it.

V8, tomato juice, Clamato, it's all tasty :D

Ha ha! My wife agrees with you, Daniel.

And two thumbs up for Clamato!

Sledge Hammers to Nose

Right 17 pounds x 1

Right 17 pounds x 1

Left 12 pounds x 3

Left 12 pounds x 3

20mm Block Set Grippers

Right 134x4

Right 134x5

Right 134x5

Left 112x6

Left 112x6

You wouldn't believe all the goofy looks I get when I tell people I love V8! I actually drink the low-sodium stuff, which tastes a bit bland compared to the regular, but it's by far the easiest way I've found to throw some extra veggies into the diet.

You wouldn't believe all the goofy looks I get when I tell people I love V8! I actually drink the low-sodium stuff, which tastes a bit bland compared to the regular, but it's by far the easiest way I've found to throw some extra veggies into the diet.

Yeah, my wife tried buying me the low sodium, but I guess I like my salt. It's a mystery how you never actually see anyone drinking V-8.

-ran a mile tonight in 7:07. I was pretty happy with that, even though it's turtle pace compared to the 5:20 I ran when I was thirteen (and half my current weight).

Nice work Eric your showing more dedication than myself. I'm weighing about 186 right now thought a split second about cutting a lttle to compete at 183 and thought na that's way to much dedication I'm doing good just to be traing regular again. I'll be in the 93k

Edited by stew2

Nice work Eric your showing more dedication than myself. I'm weighing about 186 right now thought a split second about cutting a lttle to compete at 183 and thought na that's way to much dedication I'm doing good just to be traing regular again. I'll be in the 93k

Man, you're too close to not eat one less milk shake a day and be more competitive. :grin: But that is cool your're competing! Last time I competed in a contest with you was in... 2007.

Hammer Curls (elbow braced on hip)

54x3 (both arms)

54x3 (both arms)

- Also, I played around with the forefinger lift on the FBBC loading pin w/ 115 pounds. It felt easy, but I figured that was enough weight for now, being a one-finger lift.

1 finger lifts burned me out last year.

I did it for a few weeks and then all my training went to hell. I had to take like 2 weeks off and then start light again.

1 finger lifts burned me out last year.

I did it for a few weeks and then all my training went to hell. I had to take like 2 weeks off and then start light again.

Whoa. Well, fortunately I'm not intending to do much more than a sub-maximal single or two once in a while, which is just enough to make the the 100 pound weight in the medley feel easy.

HIIT:

jumped rope as fast as I could for 15 seconds, then rested for 45 (repeated this cycle 8 times)

- then 20 pushups on fists with a very narrow hand placement

Menu:

2 scoops of protein powder

banana

can of pinto beans

five strawberries

half a bottle of sake

6 pieces of sushi (tuna, red snapper, squid)

Bodyweight 185.4

-15 minutes of jumping jacks, jumping rope, leg lifts, crunches, pushups, and 45lb. military presses

I've lost 5.2 pounds in six days.

Is that not a bit too fast of a weight loss or are you aiming for the 163? I am trying to loose no more than a pound each week (174.6 this morning btw).

You're doing it the ideal way, Mikael. I'm doing it the "I got a wild hare and now I barely have enough time" way. Yes, I'm trying for 163.

One Hand Hangs from an Axle w/ 50 pounds

several efforts with best be left hand for 7 seconds and right hand for 4 seconds

Blob 50 faced difficult direction

three sets each hand w/ best being 3 reps right and one rep left

2 scoops of protein

two carrots

apple

two tiny oranges

6oz V-8

6oz raw mixed nuts

sugar-free Red Bull

banana

four strawberries

• Like 1

Body weight: 185.0

-10 minutes of jumping rope, pushups, and jumping jacks

the cut off is 165?

are you going to play with water weight at all with the 2 hour weigh in?

the cut off is 165?

are you going to play with water weight at all with the 2 hour weigh in?

The cut off is 163. I will most likely have to play with some water weight, but hopefully not more than two or three pounds.

Deadlifts

473x3

Not far after leaving the floor on my third rep I pulled either one of my teres muscles or lat on the left side, which is my supinated grip side. First time I've ever pulled anything deadlifting. Been pulling no less than every other week for over three decades, so this is a big warning sign. I thought I've been getting enough water, but perhaps not. I could certainly stand to back off on all the pushups I've been doing. Maybe just stick with the running, without over doing it. Been trying to keep up the protein. I can't even do a pullup right now because of the pain. Wish I knew the exact cause so I can prevent any further injuries. Never thought this weight loss would be easy...

Hang in there champ. Wish you a speedy recovery too, but don't jump the gun and play it safe.

Thanks, Yori. I will definitely play it safe. Too close to the contest not to. I'm hopeful it's only like a one week deal. But fortunately I have very little personal experience with strains, so it's hard to say. No bruising yet, though.

Just jogged a mile with my youngest son, cuz we got new running shoes today. Then I ran one alone in 7:20.

hope you recover quick man. if there's no bruising that should be a good sign that its probably not a tear.

hope you recover quick man. if there's no bruising that should be a good sign that its probably not a tear.

Thank you. No, still no bruising, and today there is less pain. Very relieved and optimistic I can hit deads and pull-ups soon. Upping my water intake even more and taking care not to overwork the higher rep stuff.

I'm pretty confident it was my teres major I pulled.

Body weight: 184.6

2 scoops of protein powder

can of garbanzo beans w/ chipotle sauce

3oz. of peanuts

4oz. of cod

6oz. of V-8

granny smith apple

small bowl of Uncle Sam cereal with soy milk

Excellent work Eric! I hope you make it to 74kg at the contest. That would be very cool to see your results in that weightclass.

Excellent work Eric! I hope you make it to 74kg at the contest. That would be very cool to see your results in that weightclass.

Hey, Stranger! :)

Thank you, Ben. I'm not really sure myself what to expect in terms of numbers, but there's only one way to find out.

If the weight loss gets too stubborn my plan is just to run, run, run.

Hope to see you at an event one these days and finally meet you...

Bodyweight: 183.4

Grippers Block Set-Right

151x1

155x1

Grippers No-Set-Right

134x2

Grippers Block-Set- Left

134x0

134x1

Grippers No-Set-Left

112x1

-ran a mile with my son in 8:58

-ran a solo mile in 6:59

1 1/2 scoops of protein

6oz. V-8

granny smith apple

3oz. mixed raw nuts

6oz. non-fat greek yougurt

two small carrots

6oz. cod w/ garlic

chocolate chip Cliff Bar

4 small crackers with hot sauce

Body weight: 182.8 (that makes 7.8 pounds lost in ten days)

- jogged a 5k

6oz. of fat-free Greek yogurt w/ molasses

banana

granny smith apple

two carrots

banana

V-8 juice

4oz. of walnuts

8oz. of cod

-25 Pushups on fists placed shoulder width

Wooden Pinch Block

190x2

190x3

Axle

323.6 x3

Wrist Roller

175x1

9oz. fat-free Greek yogurt with honey

6oz. V-8

granny smith apple

banana

3oz. walnuts

carrot

scoop of protein powder

- ran a mile with Timmy in 8:12

- ran a solo mile in 6:55 (temp in the low forties, with heavy clothing on)

bowl of fat-free Greek yogurt with molasses

6oz. v-8

granny smith apple

3oz. walnuts and peanuts

two small carrots

two tiny oranges

bowl of fat-free Greek yogurt with honey and strawberries