Donati's Log Of Steel Bending, Grip And Powerlifting

Buccos1

I've been keeping a log on Bender's Battlefield for a few years. The sites been down for a few days, so I figured what better time than now to start a log here!? :grin:

Some background info:

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 195

I've been weight training for 27 years and competing in powerlifting for seven, having done about 20 meets. I started competing as a 242 (weighed 235) then decided to drop some weight, and cut down to under 200lbs. I've been about 195 for close to two years now. I also figured I'd be a lot more competitive as a 198er than 220 or 242. I competed in the Beast in the East steelbending championships last summer and took first in the LHW class. I've been bending steel for close to five years, and messing around with grippers for about the same. I recently got more involved in pinch grip and have been working a lot with the Ironmind Hub and the GripTopz, trying to improve my numbers. I'd love to do a grip comp. or two next year!

To give a perspective what my levels are (and where I'm trying to go) ...

My best numbers in powerlifting (single-ply):

Squat - 550

Bench - 440

DL - 550

My best bends/grip:

5.5" Red Nail - IMPs

505lb. x 7" drillrod - IMPs

Red Nail (DU) - BBW

5/8 x 21.8" A36

SCF Reg. Plain #000

IM Hub - 57.5

With grippers, I've come within 2-3 mm from closing the COC #2.5 with a MMS. Recently, I got a few GHP grippers and have been doing some work with the GHP5, which has been great.

• Like 5

Great to see you posting here. Look forward to following your log.

• Like 1

Great to see you posting here. Look forward to following your log.

Thanks bro! Keeping a log these past few years has really helped me push through some days when I really didn't feel like it.

Edited by Buccos1
  • Like 1

Sun (8/11)

Bench Press
(1x8) 135
(1x3) 185
(1x3) 225
(1x1) 275
(1x1) 325

(1x3) 365 - add Slingshot
(1x0) 400
(1x1) 400

The 400 was a PR with the Slingshot! Took a second attempt after missing about 1/2 way up.

• Like 1

Mon (8/12)

DU - IMPs
Yellow Nail
1/4 x 7" Grade 5

DU - BBW
Red Nail biggrin.gif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDssTb-jMVQ

Ironmind Hub
(1x1) 40
(1x1) 50
(1X1) 55

GripTopz Stub
(1x1) 15
(1x1) 25
(1x1) 30
(1x0) 32.5

Grippers
(1x3) #1.5
(1x1) GHP5
(1x20) #1.5

The double underhand Red Nail bend in single wraps was a first and a huge PR today! I've been after this one for well over a year and my previous best was around 25 degrees. I bent a Red double underhand about two years ago, but it was with double wraps.

• Like 1

nice to see you over here. If you ever want to get together after you bench, Me and another guys have been getting together most sundays at 1. pm me if interested.

• Like 1

nice to see you over here. If you ever want to get together after you bench, Me and another guys have been getting together most sundays at 1. pm me if interested.

Thanks Brent! PM sent.

• Like 1

good to see this log live on. i look forward to much more destruction.

GHP are beautiful grippers. even though Chez lent me his 5 i had to have my own ha. the 6 is pretty legit.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 1

good to see this log live on. i look forward to much more destruction.

GHP are beautiful grippers. even though Chez lent me his 5 i had to have my own ha. the 6 is pretty legit.

Thanks Mike! I've been consistent with my training since Day 1, year-after-year, but would definitely take a day off once-in-awhile (unplanned) or back off on the weight sometimes. Since I've been keeping an online log though, I've found myself pushing through the tiredness when it comes up and pushing my boundries a little more.

Yeah, the GHPs are pretty sweet! I got the #5 and 6 from Cannon Powerworks, and got them three days after placing the order! Great service. The #5 has been a tough close for me. If I get a good set, I can get one rep with it. (I normally can get 4-5 reps with the COC#2.) I know this gripper will help me a lot though, in trying to close the 2.5.

• Like 1

Wed (8/14)

Floor Press

(1x5) 135

(1x3) 185

(1x3) 225

(1x2) 275

(1x2) 280

Speed Bench - bands

(4x3) 165

(4x3) 155

Horseshoes - 1.2" suede

SCF Lite Rim #2

Diamond Bronco PL000 - 110 degrees

I really dislike the larger horseshoes, but am trying to work them in here-and-there, just in case the BITE 3 is on. (The same thing goes for the midbar braced, which I actually love to do, but it takes so much out of you to be a year-round endeavor.) The LR2 felt pretty easy but a little awkward. I had a good kink on the PL000, but ran out of steam with it.

I just added floor presses into my routine last week, and really like them so far. My setup with them is knees bent, and pausing on the floor at the bottom.

Today, I am going to bend a Big Golden Bastard in IMPs, and put the video up later. (I've done this bend before--and a Huge Golden in IMPs--but it's been awhile!)

• Like 1

What does your GHP 5 rate at?

I didn't get it rated, but it is significantly harder than both #2 grippers I have.

... made my attempt at the Big Golden and tore a chunk of finger off on the kink. So, I ended up pulling back on the session.

• Like 1

i have 2. one is 112#, the other 118#. last 1/3 is harder sweep on GHP's.

Yeah, the spreads been pretty tough for me. But, I think it will make my set stronger in the long run.

• Like 1

Fri (8/16)

Shrugs

(1x8) 135

(1x8) 225

(1x5) 315

(1x5) 405

(1x5) 475

45-Degree Back Raise

(2x10) 35

DU - 1.2" suede

Yellow Nail

1/4 x 7" Square

FBBC Bastard

I wanted to try the DU Bastard cert but probally should have waited another few days, especially after having done the Red so recently. My hands and forearms were still beat up a little, but I wanted to give it a shot. It was a tough bend, and was taken to about 42 degrees. I used BBW plus a short piece of suede, which made the wraps 1.25" in diameter. Next up for a DU cert attempt is going to be the Golden Bastard!

• Like 4

How are you setting up for your floor presses? Just the J-hooks at the bottom and chains for safety or no safety?

• Like 1

How are you setting up for your floor presses? Just the J-hooks at the bottom and chains for safety or no safety?

I do them in my power rack, putting the pegs up four slots, and the safety bar on the bottom hole, which sits right at chest level. My rack placement prohibits me from having my legs completely flat (and turning the other way won't work 'cause of the cross bar at the bottom). So, I do bent knees, tucking on the descent, and pausing for a second at the bottom. I don't think I'll be able to do too much over 300 by myself, especially getting it out in a good position. I hope to be doing good rep work with 275 and 295 soon.

• Like 1

Sat (8/17)

Squats

(1x5) 135

(1x3) 225

(1x2) 315

(1x2) 385

(1x1) 405

(1x1) 425

Today, I was going to do a deload, raw session, but continue to experience some hip pain with anything over 315. So, I went through my "garbage" and found an old pair on Inzer Power Pants (similar to Groove Briefs). Anyone that has trained in these know they are about as thick/strong as a good pair of boxers. These things fit me when I weighed 230 (I'm about 195 now), so they were on the looser side. :ohmy

I brought my normal stance in a little, and was planning on stopping at 385. But 385 felt awesome and I decided to try 405. Same thing with 405. So I tried one more set at 425, which felt solid. I haven't really gone over 405 without briefs or a suit in years, and have no idea what my actual raw max is right now. But, todays reps felt pretty strong. (It seems like my raw #s have been climbing, in my exclusive training with single-ply briefs for the past year.)

425 Squat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncqv9e4-NBE

Good stuff Carl. I just ordered a Inzer TRX suit for fun. I was reading up on briefs and power pants but figured I had more options with a suit with the straps down when my hips bugging me. I hope it fits lol!

Good stuff Carl. I just ordered a Inzer TRX suit for fun. I was reading up on briefs and power pants but figured I had more options with a suit with the straps down when my hips bugging me. I hope it fits lol!

That's awesome! I have a TRX, but I haven't been in a suit that much the past few years ... just briefs. It's a really solid suit! Not too much of a change in technique to hit the groove either. I've had my stuff altered a lot too. Lots of stuff tightened up from when I weighed 230+ to 195-200 now.

You've done really well at knocking the weight off, keeping it off and continuing to get strong. Good stuff man!

You've done really well at knocking the weight off, keeping it off and continuing to get strong. Good stuff man!

Thanks bro! I'm going to try to stay in the 195-200 range. Feel pretty strong all-around here. The one area where I may have suffered a little is with DO, as I felt the strongest at 210.

Mon (8/19)

Bench Press

(1x8) 135

(1x3) 205

(1x3) 255

(1x2) 315

Reverse-band Bench Press

(1x3) 365

(1x1) 405

(1x1) 415 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VMawTO6RNg

Adjustable Thick Bar

(1x1) 75

(1x1) 110

(1x1) 130

(1x1) 145

(1x1) 170 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNuGEk_rD5Y

Grippers

(1x5) #1

(1x3) #1.5

(1x1) GHP5

This was my first time with the adjustable thickbar, and I had no idea of where to start, so I started really low. I also alternated between the two middle handles up until 130, and then went with the second smallest. This was a fun workout, and I am anxious to see what I can max out at the next workout! The 415 reverse band was a PR.

Tue (8/20)

DO - IMPs

Blue Nail

1/4 x 6" Grade 5

Big Golden

Ironmind Hub

(1x1) 40

(1x1) 45

(1x1) 50

(1x0) 55

(1x1) 55

GripTopz Stub

(1x1) 15

(1x1) 25

(1x0) 30

(1x1) 30

Heavy Bag/Speed Bag

Abs - just started to experiment with a routine

I attempted the Big Golden again today (revenge bend from last week). This was the third one I've taken down in IMPs, and each one's been tough. I'm uploading the video now and will post it soon.