Vertical Bar Pointers

Strongmanpharmd

The guy who welded up my pinch block made me a loading pin and I decided to give vertical bar lifts a try this evening. I tried to go up to 210lbs but only broke it off the ground.

Any pointers from you more seasoned grip guys?

That's a good lift. It only needs to come up a few inches off the ground. The only advice I cand give is get an actual v-bar. Not w ginormous loading pin.

1" and 2". Not easier on yourself, it's harder and your actually doing yourself a disservice bending over that far. On an actual v-bar the ROM is much much shorter. You could probably pull another 15-25lbs on an actual v-bar.

The standard 2" vbar is 24 inches that looks 18"... 200 is solid for a shorter vbar.. Gotta be careful with the heavy vbar stuff. I don't make a point to max on mine, I just do sub maximal work for the anvil carryover... Focus on a weight that you can hold without rotation.. Or do holds and spin the bar with wrist rotation. Vbar work is one of the key reasons I worked up to a 210+ ironmind anvil lift within 4-5 months of working w/ the anvil.. Again, easy with the max attempts.. Bicep gets vulnerable at heavy attempts

Good tip on being careful with the bicep...I try and do a bunch of curls to protect them doing strongman stuff but didn't even thing about it on this lift. Thanks!!

So this should have decent carry over to the Little Big Horn for King Kong?

I see that the FBBC site is still up. I wonder if I could still get a v bar from them? I might have to make my own.

Looks like the USAWA has a 2" vert bar lift on their record books...maybe I'll try and work on a record lift since there's quite a few meets out here

That's a solid lift, Keith! If you come over before I sell my 2" vbar I will give you some solid pointers that will have immediate carryover to heavier poundage. I used to be pretty decent on vbar. Haven't touched a vbar in a long time.

I think it would have good carryover to the anvil.

Keith, I am quite familiar with the USAWA 2" vbar. I have an official USAWA 2" vbar. And the FBBC 2" vbar. I would be happy to show you the differences in USAWA rules and standard grip contest rules between vbars. The USAWA 2" vbar rules are much stricter than the standard grip contest rules. I have pulled 310lbs on the FBBC 2" vbar (2011 contest) and my USAWA record was 251lbs around the same time. Just to show you the difference in poundages between the different vbars and contest rules.

Ben - I saw you still hold the USAWA record for the 2' vertical bar lift...I work this weekend and then next weekend I'll be in St. Louis, but after that if you want to come to my gym I've got 3 out of 4 of the King Kong implements now and should have a Circus Dumbbell with a 3' handle made by Al Myers by then!

I also found out I currently have the USAWA 105kg records for the 2 Fulton Dumbbell deadlift, Dumbbell walk (don't ask haha), and pretty sure after they put in the last Postal results I'll have the 110kg One Hand Barbell DL record.

Edited by Strongmanpharmd

I see that the FBBC site is still up. I wonder if I could still get a v bar from them? I might have to make my own.

No dude, sorry. The site is still up until the web hosting payment is due. Jerry isn't making or selling anything anymore, that's what he told me. And I was the judge for them for years.

• Like 1