Newbie Beginning Program

wojo

You are getting up to the #3 quick. Very strong. Also your axle lifts are great.

You seem to be at a similar level of strength to me as far as grippers go. I'm trying to get my #3 closed MMS by the end of this year too, i'll be an interested spectator on your progress, good luck!

Thanks Chez....my long distance Mash Monster mentor...lol....

Thanks Rich!

Thanks Patrick! Let's get it by year's end!

• 1 month later...

This past weekend I accomplished one of my goals for 2011 and deadlifted 600lbs at the 2011 APA Apollon Winter Iron Bash at Apollon Gym in Edison, NJ. I was hoping to end up around 625 for the day and I considered taking a third attempt...but felt that I only had maybe 10 more pounds in me and figured I'd leave it on the table rather than beat up my lower back any more than necessary just to go from 600 to 610.

Because of this competition, I had laid off on some of my grip training the week before....but I've still been hitting my Vulcan gripper hard every Sunday and so far I have a best close of Level 12...so I'm getting closer to a #3 level close...it's just a matter of time.

Sometime next week, I'll go for a PR attempt at a DO Axle Deadlift and take some video.

Congrats Man! 600 is no joke.

Thanks Chez...I'm definitely happy to have cracked 600....but I was hoping for more out of the day. The good news is that it's only served to motivate me even more to kick *ss preparing for my next competition (probably in July).

2012 is gonna be a great year!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I did some TSG singles...something I haven't done in a while since I've been focused on training with the Vulcan II. I closed the #2.5 so easily that I had to immediately double check to make sure I didn't pick up the #2 by mistake! The close was so immediate and so solid...it left no doubt in my mind that training with the Vulcan II has brought me to another level. I went for a #3 close and honestly thought I may have closed it until I watched the video. I'm still a good solid month or two of training away from closing it, but the attempt was very encouraging. I finished up with a set of 5 solid 20mm block set reps with my #2.5, which was a PR by two reps.

All in all, it was a very postive workout to close out the year. I've learned a lot and made a lot of progress over the past four months thanks to the help of the guys on this board...thank you!

http://youtu.be/OWkjlv76awE

Edited by wojo

TSG workout last night:

CoC#1: 8 sets of 3 ballistic reps each hand

CoC#2

RH - 1 set of 25 20mm block set reps - new PR

LH - 1 set of 20 20mm block set reps - new PR

CoC#2.5

RH - 1 set of 3 20mm block set reps (pretty psyched I could still manage 3 reps with the #2.5 after repping out with the #2)

LH - 1 x miss (left hand is just weaker)

RH - 1 x >10 second overcrush

Moved onto some hex block weights...45lb block went up easily with both hands, but no air with the 50lb block.

Finished with a bunch of thumb work on my pony clamp.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my goals this year is to certify as a Captain of Crush on the #3 gripper and I figured I'd post my current gripper training template in case anyone wants to share their feedback. I've borrowed (i.e. - stolen) the best ideas I could find from these boards and I've incorporated them into my training.

Dynamic Day (Thursday)

The idea here is borrowed from what Tim Struse does, so I've decided to follow a 3-week pendulum wave here alternating between 8x3 and 12x2 every three weeks.

Example:

Wave #1

Week #1: 12x2 with CoC #1 (55% of estimated 1RM based on RGC ratings)

Week #2: 12x2 with CoC #1.5 (61% of estimated 1RM based on RGC ratings)

Week #3: 12x2 with CoC #2 (73% of estimated 1RM based on RGC ratings)

Wave #2

Same as wave #1, but using 8x3 instead of 12x2 to switch things up

I'll follow up my dynamic work with some work sets in the 5 rep range using a CCS since all my other work will be from a parallel set (20mm block set).

Max Effort Day (Sunday)

This is my Vulcan V2 workout doing singles, doubles and triples followed by some higher rep work sets if I'm feeling it...all using a 20mm block set.

This is just the gripper portion of my grip workout. Both days will be followed up with all the usual other stuff we do.

I've been making good progress following this routine and I'm really close to my first #3 close from a parallel set....I'm hoping to post a video soon.

Hope you will get your goal! Sounds like a good plan, your approach. You can only figure that one out yourself. I think I have thrown away at least one year

by overtraining and working without a plan on grip. I also do the dynamic effort approach.

Thanks Geralt....The Gripboard has been an incredible place to learn and it's been great to be able to borrow from everyone's experiences and best practices.

Tonight's workout:

CoC #2.5 CCS Attempt - this was very close...I may have even shut the handles for a split second, but I can't say for sure.

CoC #2 x 12 CCS reps - this was my first time trying for CCS reps so it's automatically a PR

CoC #2.5 x 3 20mm block set reps - my best is 5 reps...but to still get 3 after the above sets is pretty good.

359lb DO Axle Attempt - 349 is my best, so I went for 359 and came pretty close.

http://youtu.be/SlowJyoLs74

dude. Your getting crazy strong in the axle. The 800lb elite total for grip comps factors in a 400 lb axle DL and your inching towards that in a short time.

dude. Your getting crazy strong in the axle. The 800lb elite total for grip comps factors in a 400 lb axle DL and your inching towards that in a short time.

Thanks man....that really fires me up! I haven't really worked out on the axle per se....I just try for a new max every once in while. I need to do some research and see how other guys train to increase their axle strength. I guess you can only basically do two things....reps and holds for time....but it would be nice to see some routines.

Gripper training is fun and my strength is coming along....axle deads are fun and strength is coming along.....but my two-hand pinch is nothing to write home about (maybe 145lbs) AND I don't like training for it, which is a bad combination! lol

I did my Vulcan V2 workout today followed by DO axle holds for time. I had several really close attempts at level 13 and I hit level 12 for a double with my left hand, which is a new PR.

On the axle I worked up to 299 for three sets of holds...9 seconds, 10 seconds and 6 seconds. I was surprised these were so hard....so lots of room for improvement.

I'm going to focus on making serious progress on the axle this year, so I'm about to order myself a real 2" Apollon's Axle from Ironmind.....it's not cheap, but I hear it's bullet proof and will last forever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great workout tonight:

Explosive Gripper Work

CoC#2 - 12x2

I felt great after all my explosive work so I picked up the #2.5 and hit a new PR of 8 reps with a 20mm block set.

Next up was double overhand timed holds on my brand spankin' new Ironmind Apollon's Axle. I'm trying to work out a routine similar to my grippers where one day I'll do max effort axle work, but the other day I'll do lower weight and higher reps in lieu of dynamic work.

Since I almost maxed out at 359, I used that number as my max and figured as a max effort workout tonight I'd do 328 or 91.3% for 10 sets of 3 second holds (lifting off a pair of saw horses). Well, I could only manage 3 sets and crapped out on the fourth so I lowered the weight to 308 or 85.7% and completed the last 7 sets. This was much tougher than I thought it was going to be but at least I know where I stand. Next week I'll go up 5 pounds and see how that goes.

Depending on how I feel, I'm going to see if I can get my first CoC#3 close on video on Sunday, February 5th and go for a new DO Axle PR in about a month from now on Thursday, February 23rd.

Another great workout tonight:

Vulcan V2 singles and doubles....no new PR's, but I had several super close Level 13 attempts with both hands....the closest I've ever come.

Next, I decided to rep out on the CoC#2 with a 20mm block set to switch things up and I hit new PR's with 30 reps righty and 22 reps lefty.

Lastly, I slid a length of PVC over my homemade 1-7/8" to make a 2-3/8" axle and did a bunch of 10 second axle holds at 160, 180, 200 & 220 and then crapped out on 240 at 5 seconds. I dropped back down to 180 for 28 seconds and wrapped things up with some sand bucket extensor work.

I figured alternating workouts between the 2" and 2-3/8" axle is a nice way of keeping things fresh and I'm hoping that the 2-3/8" axle work will also have some carryover to the Rolling Thunder.

There's a possibility that I might make it out to Ohio in March to check out the Arnold Fitness Expo, so if IronMind is going to be out there and continuing their recent Crushed-to-Dust Challenge...I'd like to be sure my Rolling Thunder is up to par (I have no idea where my hub lift is...I guess that's next on the shopping list).

Nice man. I use fat gripz sometimes for axle pulls to give me a different thickness. Are you micro loading your Vulcan with rubber bands to help make the jump to level 13? If not, you definitely should give it a try.

Nice man. I use fat gripz sometimes for axle pulls to give me a different thickness. Are you micro loading your Vulcan with rubber bands to help make the jump to level 13? If not, you definitely should give it a try.

I haven't been microloading the Vulcan, but I'm gonna start next workout. It's getting old just trying and failing at level 13.

Arggghhhh.....I'm a bit frustrated tonight because I really thought I'd be able to close my #3 and submit it for my MM0 Cert. I had several decently close attempts, but no success. It's still that last little bit that's killing me. Afterwards, I tried a no-set attempt with my #2.5 and missed by about the same distance.

After my gripper attempts, I did DO Apollon's Axle holds....313 for 5 sets of 3 second holds and 323 for 5 sets of 3 second holds.

To wrap things up, I grabbed by #2.5 and did one close with a 13 second overcrush.

I'm going to skip my usual Vulcan gripper work this Sunday to give myself a little mental break because I really thought I had a #3 close in me tonight. I'll focus on my axle work and some pinching and I'll start hitting my gripper work next Thursday again with a renewed vengeance.

I don't care how long it takes...weeks....months....but the next #3 gripper video you see from me will be me closing it with authority!

How does the ironmind axle compare to your home made pipe axle and the PVC pipe that you used a few workouts before? I'm just curious because I have never tried an official ironmind axle and the comp that I am doing next week will have one. Is the ironmind axle harder? I'm using PVC pipe that is 1 7/8 outside diameter to practice right now.

The homemade metal pipe axle I've used was also 1-7/8". I haven't maxed out from the floor on the Apollon's Axle yet....I've just been doing holds lifting up from a pair of saw horses....so I can't make a direct comparison with what I'm able to lift from the floor. I'm sure 1/8" must make a minor difference...however...the Apollon's Axle essentially feels the same in my hand....I don't notice the 1/8" difference....so I wouldn't be worried or pysche yourself out thinking you won't be able to lift the same weight on it.

The PVC axle I'm using is 2-3/8" (the same diameter as the rolling thunder handle) so it's significantly larger than the Apollon's Axle. This definitely makes a difference in the weight I'm able to handle, but I'm hoping it has some carryover to my performance on the Rolling Thunder. This Sunday, I will actually start training on my Rolling Thunder again...so I'll see if any of this axle work has had any carryover.

Same here, my pipe axle is 1.92" OD but feels the same as the Ironmind axle. It is a great $20 investment in lue of the full price of an IM axle w/ shipping costs.

I made up for last night's gripper disappointment tonight by hitting a new multi-rep max on the deadlift with 545x5, which is a MRM of 625. Hell, I'd be (or would've been) satisfied pulling 625 at my next competition....but I'm only three weeks into my serious training with about 5 months still to go. If things continue to go well, I'll have to adjust my goal.

http://youtu.be/r7OZqOIpiqk

Edited by wojo

I was planning on skipping gripper work today and just focus on supporting grip and pinch, but I'm still pissed and feeling like a big fat vagina for not closing my #3 the other day...so I decided to just jump right back into the water....

Rolling Thunder - I worked up to 171 each hand for a single (counting 6 lbs for pin and handle). This equals my left hand PR, so I jumped to 181 and missed with each hand. I dropped back down to 178-1/2 and again missed with both hands so I dropped back down to 161 and did 4 sets of singles with each hand and moved on.

Gripper work - I wiped the cobwebs off my Beef Builder Super Master with 5/8" handles this morning to work on my finishing strength.

Right Hand: 6 sets of 5 second overcrushes with BBSM5/8", 1 drop set BBSM5/8" x 5 second overcrush > #2 x 5 second overcrush, 1 drop set BBSM5/8" x 10 second overcrush > #2.5 x no close > #2 x 10 second overcrush - DONE

Left Hand: 2 sets of assisted 5 second overcrushes with BBSM5/8", 4 sets of 5 second overcrushes with CoC#2, 1 drop set #2 x 5 second overcrush > #1.5 x 5 second overcrush, 1 drop set #2 x 15 second overcrush > #1.5 x 6 second overcrush > #1 x no close - DONE

Afterwards I did some pinch work with my own homemade pinch block, some wrist roller work and finished with a set of sand bucket extensors.

Sometime before my next workout, I'm going to file the handle on my BBBSM5/8" just a little bit....I'm thinking that it's all about spending more time under tension in the closed position.

• 2 weeks later...

I had filed my Beef Builder Super Master with 5/8" handles last week and then filed it some more for yesterday's workout and this is what I did:

Right Hand: 4 sets of 5 second overcrushes with heavily filed BBSM5/8", 4 sets of assisted close and negative with CoC#3

Left Hand: Nothing - I tweaked something in my Brachialis or Brachioradialis while squatting heavy the other day...so it hurt enough just setting the gripper for my right hand.

Apollon's Axle Holds for time (lifting off a pair of heavy plastic saw horses) - 333lbs for 3 sets of 3 seconds....on the fourth set I just crapped out and dropped the weight onto the saw horses which proceeded to explode and shatter into a bunch of pieces...I figured this would eventually happen! I need to get a damn squat rack. My lower body was still sore from doing legs, so I wasn't going to be deadlifting 333 from the floor....so I just moved on.

Bending - I picked up some 3/16" and 1/4" round steel from Home Depot and cut them to the equivalent lengths of the IronMind white, green and yellow nails. I don't have wraps, so I was awkwardly using a pair of leather gloves....which sucked. Anyway, I closed two "white" nails very easily, the "green" nail was pretty easy too....but by the time I tried the "yellow" nail, my arm was hurting and I just didn't have the fight in me....I made a nice starting bend in it and that was all I had. I was pretty happy and I can see why people like to bend.

IronMind Hub Lift - I bought this figuring I need to practice on it if I want to do the Crushed-to-Dust challenge. If you count the loading pin, carabiner and hub as 7lbs per their website (actually 7.25lbs), then I worked up to 49.5lbs with my right hand.

Rolling Thunder (counting apparatus as 8lbs) - I was tired at this point, but I worked up to 148 in each hand and then jumped to 173, but failed with both hands. 178 is my PR with my right hand...so I have a ways to go.