Hex Block Weights -Removing Rubber Coating?

Jonathan McMillan

Hey all,

Around my local area no one is selling the metal hex dumbells anymore, they all have the rubber coating on them. Has anyone tried to remove this rubber coating?

Jon@han

Throw them in a bonfire.

Honestly, do take pictures when you take the coating off, I wonder how finished the casting inside the rubber is.

someone here did this already and I remember it not being very pretty they had large areas of lead fill. you should go for Craigslist or Ebay or wait till someone on the board at selling hex heads

Yah...I seen some ugly pics without the coating.

Try and think outside the box on this one.

Play it Again Sports is an easy go-to if the one in your area deals with weights. Most of the managers are even willing to give you a call when they get a bunch in. You can leave an index card for them with your contact info on it.

Craigslist is awesome for picking up hex's. Okay...so your area temporarily sucks...expand it.

Don't you have to visit your wife's Aunt in upper New York?

Don't you have to visit your sister in Maryland?

What about your wife's family in North Carolina?

These are just a few examples from my own successful Craigslist Searches.

Basically I check out Craigslist the moment I know I'm going somewhere (by car).

Additionally, you could ask gripboard buds for help. I've gotten my hands on a few obscure items because a fellow gripster (nearby location) was willing to pick it up for me. Sure it may mean waiting til you both meet at a contest (to avoid the dreaded shipping), but it can work out.

• Like 1

Yah...I seen some ugly pics without the coating.

Try and think outside the box on this one.

Play it Again Sports is an easy go-to if the one in your area deals with weights. Most of the managers are even willing to give you a call when they get a bunch in. You can leave an index card for them with your contact info on it.

Craigslist is awesome for picking up hex's. Okay...so your area temporarily sucks...expand it.

Don't you have to visit your wife's Aunt in upper New York?

Don't you have to visit your sister in Maryland?

What about your wife's family in North Carolina?

These are just a few examples from my own successful Craigslist Searches.

Basically I check out Craigslist the moment I know I'm going somewhere (by car).

Additionally, you could ask gripboard buds for help. I've gotten my hands on a few obscure items because a fellow gripster (nearby location) was willing to pick it up for me. Sure it may mean waiting til you both meet at a contest (to avoid the dreaded shipping), but it can work out.

Just don't let Nate know where you live. He might "help you out" and search craigslist for you.

What size blockweights are you looking for?

Buy them on amazon, cut it up, sell the other half here.

Rich tried this a while back. I think if you search the threads here, you can find his pics from the ordeal.

Long & short of it is this: 1.) you'll have exposed lead 2.) the shape is not very conducive to lifts 3.) you'll have to figure out a good coating to get it to have some sort of texture.

Rich gave me his when he sold me a bunch of his grip stuff a few years ago. To date, nobody has been able to lift it, because of the shape, and the lack of texture to the paint. Someday I may give it a try again, but I have plenty of other blob challenges ahead of me.

I should also mention - anyone who lifts it in one of our comps down here gets to keep it.

It is pictured in this photo (upper right compartment of the box):

gallery_19587_1292_177209.jpg

see also this part of his log

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=36649&hl=+richaz%20+bondo&page=13

Thanks guys, I had no idea what was lurking under the surface :sick: Dang, sorry for rehashing as well, should've done a search first, I should know better.

I would like to have half a 90lber and 95lber, right now I've been traing with a 40 from a 80lb hex but adding weight with platemates and homemade plate mates gets to be an issue over 12lbs. My best is 17.5lbs ontop of the 40, meanwhile my 50blob is a giant paperweight unless I throw it on my band deloader.

Jon@han

Jonathan - here's two ideas that may help you make some progress:

1.) ramp slides - once you can drag around your blob50 on a level surface, setup a small ramp, and start dragging it up the ramp. Increase the slope as you get more proficient. This will be a good intermediate challenge.

2.) try two hand holds for time of the blob50. I have been able to lift my 50# blob from time to time, but I found this kind of endurance work helps make progress, and helps keep the performance more consistent.

Don't worry about the search - this was probably not going to come up unless you knew the exact words to search for. It took me 3 or 4 searches, and I knew what I was looking for.

Jedd Johnson has like 10 hex blocks of various sizes...what are you looking for exactly and I'll see if he has one that he may want to sell.

Jedd Johnson has like 10 hex blocks of various sizes...what are you looking for exactly and I'll see if he has one that he may want to sell.

half a 90lber and half a 95 would be perfect

Jon@han

half a 90lber and half a 95 would be perfect

Jon@han

If you still live up North, I hope you have a friend just over the border. USPS will flat-rate a block weight anywhere (cont. US) for $13. Otherwise shipping is gonna really suck.

if you can swing it lift the smaller blocks by the face with weight added. the straight sides aren't the same but, you can still get some good training in.

• Like 1

Martin,

I've seen a lot of "unliftable" block weights in my day. I'd love to try that one.

My sister is having a baby soon. We are already talking about coming out to Tuscon to visit. Hopefully, I can arrange it around the time of your contest next year.

Have you discussed dates?

Jedd

• Like 1

Hi Jedd,

Let us know when you think you'll be out. Aaron was thinking we would possibly do it in Tucson next year, in part because we get less attendance in Phoenix (I'm not good at drumming up interest). Regardless, let us know when you'll be out. We can always do a 'records day' contest on short notice as well.

The blob is yours if you can lift it. Right now it's slicker than owl snot. I think Daniel Reinard has tried to lift it. I have been thinking of repainting it with something with more texture, or getting it powder coated.

Also, Aaron's place is full of wondrous stuff that has to be seen first hand to be appreciated (not to mention you have to sign your life away to agree not to tell of the gadgets).

Martin

• Like 1

if you can swing it lift the smaller blocks by the face with weight added. the straight sides aren't the same but, you can still get some good training in.

I haven't done much face training Brent, thanks for reminding me of that. I did get my 35hex that way, so I could work with it thanks

Jon@han

The blob is yours if you can lift it. Right now it's slicker than owl snot. I think Daniel Reinard has tried to lift it. I have been thinking of repainting it with something with more texture, or getting it powder coated.

Also, Aaron's place is full of wondrous stuff that has to be seen first hand to be appreciated (not to mention you have to sign your life away to agree not to tell of the gadgets).

Martin

This is starting to sound like the gold ingot thread :upsidedwn

Jon@han

Hi Jedd,

Let us know when you think you'll be out. Aaron was thinking we would possibly do it in Tucson next year, in part because we get less attendance in Phoenix (I'm not good at drumming up interest). Regardless, let us know when you'll be out. We can always do a 'records day' contest on short notice as well.

Martin

I'd love to give it a try as is.

I realize that I've said I might come up a couple years now. One thing or another has always come up. One of them Mighty Mitts, other trips, etc. But I do really think I'd like to make it out there for the event, and an "unliftable" blob is always an attraction.

One thing you could do is put a friendlier coating on the other end of the block, so its easier on one end and tougher on the other, essentially two block weights.

• Like 1

Hi Jedd,

Martin

I'd love to give it a try as is.

I realize that I've said I might come up a couple years now. One thing or another has always come up. One of them Mighty Mitts, other trips, etc. But I do really think I'd like to make it out there for the event, and an "unliftable" blob is always an attraction.

One thing you could do is put a friendlier coating on the other end of the block, so its easier on one end and tougher on the other, essentially two block weights.

Bloody brilliant! Now I have to paint my blocks.

Jedd, train to lift my fat blob. 30kg from heavygriptools. But I think it's almost same as blobzilla?

Jedd, as additional motivation, I have a blobzilla that has never been lifted either. Daniel tried it, but he mentioned mine has a smoother finish than his does. However, if you do lift that one, you cannot have it. ;-).

No worries about not making it out here, in spite of expressing intention. We realize how expensive it is to come out, and how busy life is. Anytime you can make it out, just let us know.

I took a look at Rich's blob again last night, and did a few attempts. One thing I noticed is that the paint itself seems to separate. In other words it has kind of a dusty texture, and trace amounts come off on your fingers as you attempt to lift it.

Good point about painting one side of it. Next time I am in lowe's I will see what I can find.