Starting To Lose My Patience With The Setup

Sonofwolf

I start to lose my (bad word filter)ing patience with coc setup, i need 20 tries to do a good setup.I watched setup videos and i still cant do it, i get angered to the point i feel like throwing the gripper through the window.Lets take coc 2 for example, how the hell am i suppose to chest fly 90kg into position?Not to mention that when i do it i have no room for my pinkie

Don't try to rush grippers, stay on a gripper you are comfortable on. Try posting a video of your set and others will help out!!

A coc #2 is only going to be about a 100lbs RGC so as long as your technique is right it will get easier for you.

Have you watched paul knights set video? If not watch it

Practice setting on a #1 or a #1.5 set it parallel and do reps of just setting the gripper, the more you do it the better you will be at it, like most things in life.

A coc #2 is only going to be about a 100lbs RGC so as long as your technique is right it will get easier for you.

Practice setting on a #1 or a #1.5 set it parallel and do reps of just setting the gripper, the more you do it the better you will be at it, like most things in life.

I cant even setup the 1 sometimes, if i setup the 2 after 10 tries , i do like 12 reps

I cant even setup the 1 sometimes, if i setup the 2 after 10 tries , i do like 12 reps

What is the problem? Do you not know how to position handles in first place? Does handles slide off from correct position? Are you not strong enough to set properly?

How do you fare in TNS closes? Just asking since doing those might help to gain strength for setting.

Dude, it's hard. That's why there arent thousands of guys out there closing 3.5s.

• Like 3

Yeah, just stick with it. Don't work with harder grippers until you get this down with ones you are able to handle, and then start working up a little. My set isn't that great, but is used to be horrible. Now, after 4-5 years, it is getting better, and I've seen consistent progress over the past year. (This is after being stuck at a COC #2 for well over a year.) The first time Chez showed me the proper way to set, I tried it and it felt weak … actually dropping my numbers down from mid-120s to around 115. But I kept working at it and blew that old number away.

yes, as Josh said post a video so we can see what it is that you are doing wrong if anything.

Close easier grippers with TNS so you get stronger in the closing hand. Also do other types of grip training to get better open hand strength. Like blob lifting (take any random stone you can find which is hard to lift with one hand) and also work on your pinch grip. Rolling thunder is also very good grip training.

My setting also sucks, on the other hand my TNS is almost as good as any set I do, thats both good and bad I guess :)

Lately I've started to practice set only, without actually closing the gripper, just setting it. I'm using the Ironmind Zenith grippers for that since they don't have knurlig and a little bit thicker handles.

Don't be intimidated by numbers, a COC#2 is no way near 90 kg (that would be close to a COC#4) at the end of the handles, it's around 50 kg, plus the setting range is not the heavy part, it's the closing range that is the hard part.

I meant Sam when I said Josh above.

Also, how do you do 12 reps with CoC2 once you set it but you have such a hard time setting it? I don't get it.

Post a video. Also, how long is your hand? Are you chalking your palm? Paul Knight knows his shit on setting grippers, so definitely watch him. We can help you, but we need to see what you're doing first.

• Like 2

Just do what Doc did and cert TNS and train that way. He hated setting too.

Post a video. Also, how long is your hand? Are you chalking your palm? Paul Knight knows his shit on setting grippers, so definitely watch him. We can help you, but we need to see what you're doing first.

My hand is 8.25" but on setup the pinkie to fingers relative lenght is more important, i can barely put a card betwen handles...

My hand is 8.25" but on setup the pinkie to fingers relative lenght is more important, i can barely put a card betwen handles...

Sounds very strange considering my hand is just bit over 7 long and pinkie is shorter than it used to be due to accident. CCS closes do not feel optimal but they are doable.

Sounds very strange considering my hand is just bit over 7 long and pinkie is shorter than it used to be due to accident. CCS closes do not feel optimal but they are doable.

Hand lenght doesnt matter, its pinkie that matters, mine is 6 cm barely

Please send a video of what you are doing, you might be doing something drastically wrong without knowing. I can promise you it will be fixed if you post a video of your technique on this topic we will sort it for you

And mine is 4,5 cm. Are you trolling?

You're either trolling or your program is full of excuses.

When all else fails, squeeze harder.

• Like 3

Why is this even up for discussion? Practice practice practice this isn't rocket science.

Dude I stuck up for you before when it sounded like you were a troll. Now I'm starting to believe it.

• Like 4

(I really don't know why I'm posting this....For all I know this could be a thread started by a troll)

Sonofwolf please post a link to a video with your problems with setting a gripper (or setup as you call it). There are people here who understand gripper setting in and out, they can point you in the right direction to improve what you are doing wrong and you can progress faster.

But if you are a troll: STOP WASTING EVERYBODY'S TIME WITH POINTLESS THREAD THAT GOES NOWHERE!!!

• Like 1

Don't use the pinky then, use only three fingers like Magnus Samuelsson :D

You're stronger in those fingers anyway. Normally you would just use half of your pinky.