Crushed To Dust Race

Evan Raftopoulos

How much more difficult is the new RT handle compared to the old one?

Wasn't the criterias for this challange set with the old version? Maybe thats why the RT is so far off from the other two?

What is the difference between the 2? Anyone have photos to compare?

Did a quick search and found this: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=39440

It doesn't really tell which is the more difficult but the better spin you have on the handle the harder it should be right? I've only seen people claim that the new handle is more difficult. It would be interesting to know if someone has both and can compare exactly how much their one rep max differs.

In.

I hope to attempt CTD in Sept. at Tom's comp.

I don't have a RT so I will be training on a 2.5 Crusher. I am horrible at the IM hub so I will have to work for 45.

Since the Ccs#2 & hub seem to be so easy for everyone, feel free to post funny video doing these in the most ridiculous way possible, like on a party bus while being sprayed with a hose.

• Like 4

#2 gripper must be completely covered in lubricating oil, handles and all before closing :D make it slightly more challenging right?

Maybe just do a 2-finger TNS close with it. Of course while you're on a party bus being sprayed with a hose :)

Managed to get some metal netting to abrade the surface enough to hold chalk and it's a massive improvement. Will try the hub again tonight or tomorrow, current PR is #24 but that was without chalk on the smooth surface

Ill give this a shot. I've been almost exclusively doing blobs/block weights for the past few months and need a break

Old IM hub has a smooth paint which holds very little chalk, the new one holds chalk pretty well with average use, or you can really rub it in and it will stick really well.

If you start modifying the surface of these implements you won't really be able to compare numbers.

• Like 1

Old IM hub has a smooth paint which holds very little chalk, the new one holds chalk pretty well with average use, or you can really rub it in and it will stick really well.

If you start modifying the surface of these implements you won't really be able to compare numbers.

Mine is defiantly the old style

It is the same with the Blockbuster Pinch Grip Block!

It is the same with the Blockbuster Pinch Grip Block!

Yes they are. I have two versions of the Blockerbuster pinch block (the older model which is slick and then the newer version that holds chalk)

Unfortunately

Only genuine IronMind® products may be used and they must be the current model of each

(note especially the current model)

and of course

it cannot have been modified or tampered with in any way.

Quoted from http://ironmind.com/certification/crushed-to-dust-challenge/rules-for-certification/.

In this race the rules can be changed but then the race is not using the IronMind CTD rules. The changes must be made explicit here.

When I can start training again I wouldn't mind attempting this race, hub will be nothing for me but rotating handle and gripper might give me some troubles; should be fun since I've done 200+ before in the past. Don't have a current model rolling thunder (old version) and a RB 2.5 handle (just my opinion but it spins way better than any rolling thunder I've tried).

I'd love to get in on this...going to focus on MM1 first...I'll check back in after MM1 falls...the only part that I can't currently do is the rolling thunder...my best is 165

CTD Challenge felt weird to me years ago. I think that 200lbs @ RT is not easy with handle which is perfect with Ironmind rules and spinning really good. Also #2 @ CCS and 45lbs @ Official IM Hub sounds too easy. Nowdays I have noticed that some dudes has real problems with IM#2 or 45lbs hub but 200lbs RT lift is easy for them.

and gripper might give me some troubles;

:getlost::getlost: :getlost:

• Like 1

Freaking injury has made my elbows to hate me when I use grippers. Just need to rebuild myself to where I was.

Freaking injury has made my elbows to hate me when I use grippers. Just need to rebuild myself to where I was.

Oh, I thought you threw that in there to see if anyone was paying attention lol

• Like 1

John-

How have you hurt your elbows?

John-

How have you hurt your elbows?

It was back in November of 2014. I was working newspapers at the time (thankfully I'm done with that line of work), the company had the bundles in stacks of 20's and they weigh 25-30 lbs each, each paper when rolled came out to 4 inches. I wasn't thinking about safety and kept bringing each bundle up from my floorboard with a straight arm. Doing that for close to 4.5 hours took a toll on my arm (plus bagging and throwing), at one point I heard a snapping sound from my arm when it went from straight to bent; it's right above the elbow where the forearm and bicep meet. I've been rehabbing it ever since then. Using Jedd's Fixing Elbow Pain.

Left arm has some nagging pain because of the heavy throwing I did that night.

Had a go on my hub with chalk and pulled 24kg so guess that is ticked off the list now. Just to concentrate on the RT figures

• Like 1

Don't have a current model rolling thunder (old version) and a RB 2.5 handle (just my opinion but it spins way better than any rolling thunder I've tried).

Hi John! The 2.5 RB handle you mean the 60 mm one? If yes, I think that's 2.36 inches which I believe is as thick as the RT, to be exact the RT is 2.37 when I did the math. Correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't tried a RT yet but indeed the RB handles seem to spin very well.

Don't have a current model rolling thunder (old version) and a RB 2.5 handle (just my opinion but it spins way better than any rolling thunder I've tried).

Hi John! The 2.5 RB handle you mean the 60 mm one? If yes, I think that's 2.36 inches which I believe is as thick as the RT, to be exact the RT is 2.37 when I did the math. Correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't tried a RT yet but indeed the RB handles seem to spin very well.

I checked it out (when I bought it, it was advertised as 2.5), measuring it came out to 2.36 inches. Simple mistake on my part.

I checked it out (when I bought it, it was advertised as 2.5), measuring it came out to 2.36 inches. Simple mistake on my part.

thanks John, have you noticed much difference when doing max lifts between the RT that you have and the RB handle? I assume the good spinning makes it a bit harder?

thanks John, have you noticed much difference when doing max lifts between the RT that you have and the RB handle? I assume the good spinning makes it a bit harder?

From what I could tell the big difference between the 2 handles is the spin the texture of the gripping surface: the RB handle does spin way more than the Rolling Thunder, but the Rolling Thunder can hold chalk whereas the RB Handle is smooth.

I've modified the RB Handle by putting athletic tape (I don't know which brand, just something I grabbed at my local Wal Mart) and wrapped it around the handle, it started holding chalk really good and gave me the same feel as a Rolling Thunder.

The last time I used a current model Rolling Thunder was after King Kong and the big differences of what I can pull is almost no difference at all.

Here's my max lifts with both: RB Handle - 206 lbs....Rolling Thunder - 215 lbs.

• Like 1