New To Bending?

EricMilfeld

Mac, I powerlift and the only reason I started bending was because a non powerlifter was doing something that took more strength than I had...

its all about strength...

Mac bending is a great upper body, hand and wrist workout and it takes a hell of a lot of strength. Give it a try and you'll be hooked. Try using DO and DU grips to get a better workout. You'll need a strong grip for big dead lifts.

• 2 weeks later...
Mac, I powerlift and the only reason I started bending was because a non powerlifter was doing something that took more strength than I had...

And it made him angry....

• 2 months later...

I have been in to bending for a few weeks now and I was wondering where my latest PR bend falls on the Ironmind nail scale. It was a 5 inch long and 5/16 inch diameter fully threaded grade 5. Is it better than the green nail? :help

• Like 1

I have been in to bending for a few weeks now and I was wondering where my latest PR bend falls on the Ironmind nail scale. It was a 5 inch long and 5/16 inch diameter fully threaded grade 5. Is it better than the green nail? :help

Check your Dimensions again. Not to cast doubts but the nail you are describing has me scratching my head :blink a 5"X5/16" Grade 5 bolt would be crazy. How does it compare to the thickness of a blue nail? Or a Green nail for that matter. Not to be a skeptic but just check it again for me.

-Sean

Check your Dimensions again. Not to cast doubts but the nail you are describing has me scratching my head :blink a 5"X5/16" Grade 5 bolt would be crazy. How does it compare to the thickness of a blue nail? Or a Green nail for that matter. Not to be a skeptic but just check it again for me.

-Sean

His post said it was fully threaded. Maybe that is what is causing the confusion. Could it be fully threaded like a carriage bolt? That would make it quite a bit easier, no? It would still probably be very hard to bend. Anyway, just a thought.

Chris

Hi guys, and thank you for your interest about my question. I checked it and double checked it, it is 5 inch long and 5/16 inch diameter fully threaded grade 5.

Edited by jäpälä

Japala,

No offense but can you get a photo of this bolt? It would be great to have one of the head, and the side to get a good look at it. Start a thread in the forum section of bending and post the picture with it so we will all look at it. Eric Milfeld is great at identifying bolts. Looks can be deceiving. Fully threaded can also play into it. I am really just curious man, not nay saying, just curious.

-Sean

• 4 months later...

hello

im new to bending an d have a technique question.

by what ive read on dieselcrew and elitefts i should bend double overhand, but my arms are too long to get it 'high under my chin'. i have to get a wierd ass grip with my wrists far from being in a straight line with my elbows. if everything is lined up straight, my hands are positioned about 3 inches below my collarbones. should i work with this or just double underhand? also what is reverse grip?

thanks,

Gabe

• 1 month later...
hello

im new to bending an d have a technique question.

by what ive read on dieselcrew and elitefts i should bend double overhand, but my arms are too long to get it 'high under my chin'. i have to get a wierd ass grip with my wrists far from being in a straight line with my elbows. if everything is lined up straight, my hands are positioned about 3 inches below my collarbones. should i work with this or just double underhand? also what is reverse grip?

thanks,

Gabe

Gabe, DO was very difficult for me to learn (and I still cant bend DO). Acorn tried to teach me, but it just didnt work for me. I started bending DU a few years back w/mild success. Recently, the reverse style as sparked my interest again and it seems to work well for me. It'll take more work for me to bend a red reverse style vs. DO, but I dont care, as my wrists and forearms will thank me later (for the added strength).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey,

quick question for everyone! Fairly new to this and have been mainly doing nails from my local hardware store - 6mm x 150mm - (while i wait for some stock from John at fatbastardbarbellco), and have recently bought a pack of two carriage bolts (M8 x 150mm - bright zinc plated) as something to aim for in months to come. Well i decided to give one of them a go tonight just for the hell of it.

ended up snapping the end off the first one, and then managed to bend the other one by switching the bolt head end to my right hand. I did use extra wrapping on the bolt to protect my hand but just wanted to know from someone if i had bought some really cheap bolts or something? cos surely i shouldn't of been able to do them so soon? they were a lot (lot) tougher than the nails i've been doing but i still managed them.

any thoughts? wish i could post a pic of it here as i have one (as well as a pic of the packet i got them in)

thanks for reading this!

• 4 weeks later...

Question

On the Grade 2 bolts what do the letters mean.

Did some dull bolts with BL on them last week.

Did some shiny stuff with BBB on them. what is the difference? also does the Shiny finish make it harder? They felt harder.

They were 1/4 x 5.5 hex bolts.

Thanks for your help.

yeah diff companies probably, at least its like that here with the g5s, I presume its the same with the g2s.

different brands?

Yes. And if you ever find some Grade 2s with "HKT" printed on the top, buy as many as you can afford. I used those to help me finally bend the Blue Nail. They're very close in strength to the Blue, and harder than any other Grade 2 I've bent.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am a newbie..

OK, so excuse the ignorance and I will read up on this also but just wanted to post a quick newbie question

I just got a nail from the house I'm about to buy.. new construction.

How do I bend it? :tongue I'm sayin.. do you just hold it in one hand and bend it with your thumb? pointy side up? Thanks.. this place rocks

I am a newbie..

OK, so excuse the ignorance and I will read up on this also but just wanted to post a quick newbie question

How do I bend it? :tongue I'm sayin.. do you just hold it in one hand and bend it with your thumb? pointy side up? Thanks.. this place rocks

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles/gregdavebend2.pdf

I am a newbie..

Lol you have to do some research man.

>>Click Me<<, that link is probably the best article written on how to start bending..

Get some pads, a sledge hammer and research this stuff. Bending can and will be a short game if you decide to start bending nails without the proper technique, pads and patience

I am a newbie..

Lol you have to do some research man.

>>Click Me<<, that link is probably the best article written on how to start bending..

Get some pads, a sledge hammer and research this stuff. Bending can and will be a short game if you decide to start bending nails without the proper technique, pads and patience

Thanks, I am., thus posting here. :shifty I was hoping someone could tell me, one hand or two?

Thanks, I am., thus posting here. :shifty I was hoping someone could tell me, one hand or two?

Once again go to that link is probably the best article written on how to start bending.. It has pictures on what to do as well..

Once again go to that link is probably the best article written on how to start bending.. It has pictures on what to do as well..

thanks

maybe it will tell me one hand or two, that's all I really wanna know

..it depends on the type of bending you want to do.

If you want to bend with your teeth, use one hand. If you want to do braced or unbraced bending then you need two. Youtube videos, Gripboard Gallery there are a ton of videos showing how people bend

I'm sorry I realized I just sounded like a prick.. I did not mean to. I guess it's just I am on some other boards.. I have been a fighter my whole life and trainer as well.. and some newbies come on with questions and get flamed or told to do searches and read this and that.. which people should. but I think sometimes simple questions awnsered help out people too..

I will read up on it, I'm already somewhat obsessed.. I have been working my dumbells and gripper but I got this nail, held it in my hand and tryed pushing it with my thumb to bend it and it's pretty hard! lol I was thinking "Dayum! these guys are STRONG" but then on that PDF link it shows a guy holding it with 2 hands..

anyway.. Thanks..

LOK

I'm sorry I realized I just sounded like a prick.. I did not mean to. I guess it's just I am on some other boards.. I have been a fighter my whole life and trainer as well.. and some newbies come on with questions and get flamed or told to do searches and read this and that.. which people should. but I think sometimes simple questions awnsered help out people too..

I will read up on it, I'm already somewhat obsessed.. I have been working my dumbells and gripper but I got this nail, held it in my hand and tryed pushing it with my thumb to bend it and it's pretty hard! lol I was thinking "Dayum! these guys are STRONG" but then on that PDF link it shows a guy holding it with 2 hands..

anyway.. Thanks..

LOK

how were you trying to bend it with one hand?

be careful with nails first time out, they can puncture through a lot of stuff. Make sure you wrap the ends well with something and be careful with your wrists as well, even if you've been training weights before then that doesn't necessarily mean you will have the wrist strength to bend steel.

best to start doing some sledge levering to get your wrists use to the different positions they'll be in for bending - more so with reverse or double underhand bending.

i know it's tricky to find out what you need quickly sometimes but all of what you want to know is on this site, i guarantee within 5 minutes or so you'll find what you're looking for (give DU, DO and reverse a go in the search function at top of page to help you out).