Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

Nice meet man! Congrats to you!!! :sorcerer:

Thanks, Matt! It feels good to compete again after a six year hiatus. And it feels even better to know I'm still learning and improving at preparing and peaking.

Squat

320x8

341x6

269x10 (belt less)

Bench

227x8

237x6

207x12

Sit Up

35x12

Curl

116x8

Body weight 209

• Like 1

Military Press

143x8

153x6

127x10

body weight 210

Great job at your meet!

Great job at your meet!

Great job at your meet!

Thank you, Parris!

Deadlift

416x8

442x6

Shrug

497x8

Row

245x5x2

Body weight 211

• Like 1

How do you shrug that much weight? I cant imagine doing that much, you have traps of steel btother!

How do you shrug that much weight? I cant imagine doing that much, you have traps of steel btother!

Thanks, Parris, but I never really considered that to be too unusual, relative to my deadlift. I perform them slow and controlled, but I don't think my range of motion is quite my anatomical limit.

Are you going to a gym or do you have all the weights at your house?

Do you you use straps when you shrug? Or a mixed grip?

Usually mixed grip, but I do mix it up occasionally.

I've done all my lifting in the garage since I gave up commercial gyms in 1996. Before '96 I only used gyms because I was a cross country trucker. Different gym every week!

I've done all my lifting in the garage since I gave up commercial gyms in 1996. Before '96 I only used gyms because I was a cross country trucker. Different gym every week!
I like my setup at home, but I like the gym too, im a people person, so I like a little BS now and then.
  • Like 1

I like my setup at home, but I like the gym too, im a people person, so I like a little BS now and then.

I hate waiting and crappy music to much for commercial gyms.

• Like 1

Company is nice. Crappy music is not nice. I do miss the days when we had a weekly grip workout at my place. But I have no trouble psyching myself up for heavy lifting. And there's never a line.

• Like 2

Company is nice. Crappy music is not nice. I do miss the days when we had a weekly grip workout at my place. But I have no trouble psyching myself up for heavy lifting. And there's never a line.

true true

I always find it very hard to psych up when I occassionally do something at home. To comfy I guess. It's about a 7min. walk to my gym and I really use that to psych up. But it probably just depends on what your used to.

Wouldn't mind if they played rock/metal instead of dance/pop though...

I always find it very hard to psych up when I occassionally do something at home. To comfy I guess. It's about a 7min. walk to my gym and I really use that to psych up. But it probably just depends on what your used to.

Wouldn't mind if they played rock/metal instead of dance/pop though...

Sounds like the ideal situation you have, being able to walk to the gym and clear your mind while getting the blood pumpin'.

And I agree psyching up with an enthusiastic audience is easier than going solo. But I guess it builds character.

• Like 1

And I agree psyching up with an enthusiastic audience is easier than going solo. But I guess it builds character.

I've been training alone for so long now, I don't think I could do some of the stuff I do in front of others (meets and the occasional bench session notwithstanding). LOL

I've been training alone for so long now, I don't think I could do some of the stuff I do in front of others (meets and the occasional bench session notwithstanding). LOL

Have you noticed any extra psyche from video taping a lift?

Not really. If anything, it has messed me up, as I tend to worry about camera positioning, battery, etc. I do my best to pretend like it is not filming, and tune it out. The one exception would have been some of the cert. bends for Bender's Battlefield and long bars for David Horne's WOG vert list. With these, I knew it was a do-or-die thing, and in some cases, there was only one rated bar. I think with this too, I had a set-routine with the camera, wraps, calipers, which made it automatic. For some of those bends, I got so amped up, I was wired all day; I think the camera added to it with the bending.

I can give a little more with the camera rolling I think.

The camera did seem to give my bends a little extra speed and I noticed greater pain tolerance. But like Jason, usually a camera seems to add an element of urgency and importance to my lifts in general. My last few workouts before a contest get the same kick, camera or not.

• Like 2

Since this had turned into a discussion thread about psyching, I categorize people into "silent psyche" (Eric, this is all of us in the Texas crew) and "loud psyche" (Jedd and Luke come to mind).

• Like 3