Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

I have just gotten over a pretty bad case of tennis elbow myself. What I did that really seemed to help was "roll out" my triceps and forearms about twice a week, and Ice my elbow every night while watching TV for about an hour. For the roll out session I would set my barbell up on the safety pins in my rack at about chest level when I sat down on a bench and roll the bar with all my weight on my forearm and upper arm. Good luck.

I have just gotten over a pretty bad case of tennis elbow myself. What I did that really seemed to help was "roll out" my triceps and forearms about twice a week, and Ice my elbow every night while watching TV for about an hour. For the roll out session I would set my barbell up on the safety pins in my rack at about chest level when I sat down on a bench and roll the bar with all my weight on my forearm and upper arm. Good luck.

Thanks man. I do something similar using a wooden roller and pressing/rolling it between my forearm and the wall using most of my weight to push into it.

Not my triceps though, I will start doing those also.

How long did it take you to get rid of it?

Thanks man. I do something similar using a wooden roller and pressing/rolling it between my forearm and the wall using most of my weight to push into it.

Not my triceps though, I will start doing those also.

How long did it take you to get rid of it?

It took about three months to get rid of it. My main advise would be to ice it at least once every day cause that seemed to help the most. Good luck bud

Training saturday 15-3

Energy is back up! Really glad I skipped a training now. The sunny weather this last week in holland might have helped too.

TENNIS ELBOW

Something seems to shift there. Fat bar doesn't seem to hurt very much anymore, but grippers hurt big time now. Even the trainer hurts. So fat bar is back in and grippers are out for now. Which sucks. At this rate I will never get to the #3!

Doubles 5x2

Overhead press strict

2x70kg/ 2x72,5kg/ 2x75kg/ 2x75kg/ 2x77,5kg/ 1x80kg

Really happy with this! Got a bit carried away with the 80kg. Might have gotten it though if I tried it two sets earlier.

Dead bench press

2x100kg/ 2x105kg/ 2x110kg/ 2x115kg/ 2x117,5kg

Basically put the barbell on pins 1cm from the chest and than pressed out coming back for a dead stop for the second rep. Very similar to a floor press but you can get the barbell much closer to the chest. Really like these! The diffference in weight with my normal bench is ridicously small. Which means I'm definitly doing something wrong there.

DO deadlift

First sets with fatgripz

2x100kg(fg)/ 2x120kg(fg) / 2x140kg/ 2x160kg/ 4x 2x170kg

Lifts with the fatgripz didn't hurt! Happy with that! Next time I will see if I can get up to 130kg with them (140kg is my PR).

Vertical bar holds (5cm thick)

10sec. x65kg/ 10sec x75kg/ 10sec x75kg

Haven't done these in 2 years but I thought I try it and they didn't hurt my elbow! Still was very carefull and didn't go anywhere near my max.

Fixed wrist roller

3x 100cm x40kg

These were fairly easy but I didn't dare go any heavier with my flimsy pvc wristroller. I will make a metal one.

One legged calf press

20x60kg/ 20x65kg/ 20x70kg/ 15x75kg/ 12x80kg/ 10x85kg/ 6x90kg

+

Plate curls

10x10kg(medium size)/ 10x10kg(full size)/ 4x15kg (small plate)/ 1x 20kg(2x10kg) right hand - 3x20kg(2x10kg) left hand ugly reps/ 2x15kg(full size)/ 15x10kg(small plate super strict)

Side lateral raises

30x10kg/ 20x14kg/ 20x16kg/ 15x18kg/ 12x20kg

Haven't done these in ages, but I have been doing a lot of shoulder work with tubing back home. Which really paid off. This movement did hurt my elbow however...

On a different note, I'm contemplating finally buying a smart phone - which is long over due anyway - so I can start making some workout videos. Might make this log a bit more interesting for the 2 or 3 people reading it. :-)

Haha, it's time to get yourself a good phone brother. Sorry to hear about the grippers. Take some time away from them and work the thick bar hard. If your hands are strong, you'll get that 3 eventually when the tendontitis is all gone. I know it sucks. I hurt my back and couldnt deadlift or squat for years. Recovery was long and frustrating, but here i am, back. You will do this man.

Haha, it's time to get yourself a good phone brother. Sorry to hear about the grippers. Take some time away from them and work the thick bar hard. If your hands are strong, you'll get that 3 eventually when the tendontitis is all gone. I know it sucks. I hurt my back and couldnt deadlift or squat for years. Recovery was long and frustrating, but here i am, back. You will do this man.

Thanks for the encouragement man! Sometimes I'm just about ready to throw in the towel but then I get a good training session like this and I'm all happy again. That #3 will go down eventually! Race you to it.;-)

• Like 1

Training tuesday 18-3

Heavy doubles

Have been working late for a couple of days now doing a freelance job. Bit tired.

Dips

10xBW+25kg/ 6xBW+35kg/ 2xBW+45kg/ 2xBW+50kg/ 3x 2x55kg/ 10xBW+30kg

Making some progress but felt heavy.

Dumbbell rows One knee and hand on flat bench

10x43kg/ 6x53kg/ 6x58kg/ 5x 6x63kg

Actually seemed to get easier the more sets I did. So I just kept on pumping out sets with 63kg.

Double Kettlebell bottom up press

2x 10x16kg/ 3x 10x20kg

This one is a real balancing act. Great for all the stabilizing muscles. Unfortunatly the kettlebells at my gym don't go any heavier than 20kg.

Kettlebell crush curl (see picture for explanation)

3x 10x16kg

Got this one from a John Brookfield book. Thought I try it out. It's tough! It works your chest, arms and wrists all at the same time. Next time I will try the 20kg kettlebells but I'm not sure if I will be able to pull that off.

Fingercurls in front

15x60kg/ 12x70kg/ 6x80kg/ 7x80kg/ 7x80kg/ 4x85kg

+

Seated calf press one legged

3x 10x80kg

Wrist curls with rollout to fingertips

4x 6x38kg

+

Dumbbell lunges

4x 10x24kg

Took it easy on this one. Not much energy left. Want to do it more often, this always leaves me with a sore butt and hamstrings for days.

Still no videos... I haven't made up my mind yet about which smart phone to buy. Most of them are way to expensive and the cheapier ones mostly have crappy cameras.

post-22763-0-69104200-1395222140_thumb.j

Whatever you do, don't buy from ebay or amazon. It's all refurbished junk being sold as new.

I recently bought a second hand Iphone 4s for my wife, it's as good as new and works great .I must say, it's a very nice smartphone.

I have one for my work also.

Training Saturday 22-3

Overhead press strict

5x 2x75kg/ 10x60kg

I guess this could be a volume PR with 75kg. :-)

DO deadlift no straps

Also couple of sets with Fatgripz

2x100kg(fg)/ 2x120kg(fg)/ 2x140kg/ 2x160kg/ 2x170kg/ 2x175kg/ 2x180kg post 30 PR!/ 3x 2x120kg(fg)

Really wanted to get that 2x180kg bad! So I did, but I couldn't hold proper form all the way up. Still very happy with this, but it feels like a loooong way to go to get to my 220kg goal.

Cable row

10x100kg/ 10x115kg/ 8x125kg/ 8x135kg

Dumbell hold with Fatgripz

36sec x40kg/ 40sec x40kg/ 39sec x40kg

This was a bit too light but the dumbbells don't go any heavier than 40kg at my gym. Next time I will bring my fatgripz extreme or empty dumbbell to load up.

Plate curl

10x10kg(small plate) strict/ 4x10kg(full size olympic plate) strict/ 3x10kg(full size olympic plate) strict

Mounted wrist roller 5cm

50cm x 50kg/ 100cm x50kg/ 100cm x 50kg

Wasn't focused enough the first set. Love the intensity of this exercise. And strangely it doesn't hurt my elbow at all!?

Don't think I can go much heavier than 50kg though.

Kick backs + standing one-arm dumbbell extensions

2x10x14kg/ 2x10x16kg/ 2x10x18kg

Seated one leg calf press

10x80kg/ 10x85kg / 10x85kg

Sunday:

Ab wheel rollouts + hanging leg raises

4x 15+10reps

Training tuesday 25-3

Dipping

3x50kg/ 2x55kg/ 2x55kg/ 2x57,5kg PR! / 2x57,5kg/ 9x40kg PR with 40kg!

Bench press

2x110kg/ 2x110kg/ 2x115kg/ 2x115kg/ 2x115kg/ 7x100kg

Arms a bit heavy from dipping so don't really know if I should be happy with this or not.

+

Keypinch holds on 3mm pinch plate

Right hand 10/7/12/12/12 sec. x17,5kg/ 4sec. x20kg

Left hand 15/15/9/27/16 sec. x17,5kg/ 6sec. x20kg

Barbell row overhand

10x90kg/ 10x100kg/ 8x110kg/ 5x120kg PR!/ 16x90kg

Some how I can now lift heavier with barbell row than with benchpress even with my elbow bugging me.

Two kettlebell crush curl

4x 10x16kg

Tried the 20kg Kettlebells but they were impossible for me to do.

I think my hand are too small to control the kb in that manner. Or too weak... probably both.

5cm Vertical bar holds

Right hand 7/10/12/10 sec. x70kg

Left hand 10/10/14/13 sec. x70kg

Didn't have much left for these. My vertical bar is made of wood by the way, but I've clear coated it, making it very slippery. Chalk doesn't stick to it at all, just makes it harder to hold. Slightly damp hands works best.

Barbell lunges

10x40kg/ 10x50kg/ 10x60kg/ 10x70kg (per leg)

My elbows hurt when holding a barbell on my back. However knees felt great. Bit sore today though.

Training saturday 29-3

Near max workout. Next training will also be near max. Than a week off and a true max workout. After that I will start go lighter again with 5x5 and slowly work up to a max again.

Dead bench press

1x115kg/1x120kg/ 1x125kg/ 1x125kg/ 1x125kg PR

Overhead press strict

1x75kg/ 1x80kg/ 1x80kg/ 1x80kg/ 1x80kg

Not too bad. Should be able to do 85kg if I do overhead first. Still a long way to 100kg.

DO deadlift no straps

2x110kg(fatgripz)/ 1x130kg(fatgripz)/ 1x150kg/ 1x170kg/ 1x180kg/ 1x185kg/ 1x185kg/ 1x185kg post 30 PR

Deadlifting for me is very much about fighting mental blockades. Because I've had to deal with so many injuries over the years handling these kind of weights sort of scares me. Not a good place to be to lift heavy.

Mounted wristroller (5cm)

100cm x45kg/ 100cmx55kg PR

Wristroller started buckling with 55kg. Really have to make a metal one now!

Vertical bar hold (5cm)

Right 15sec x70kg/ 10sec x75kg/ 4sec x80kg/ 4sec x80kg

Left 15sec x70kg/ 10sec x75kg/ 6sec x80kg/ 6sec x80kg

+

Machine side raises

10x60kg/ 10x60kg/ 10x65kg

Probably not good for anything strenght related, but who doesn't want broad shoulders?

Plate curls strict

10x10kg(small plate)/ 4x10(full size plate)/ 3x15kg (small but fat plate)/ 1x15kg(medium plate)/ 4x10kg (full size plate)

Seated one legged calf press

6x 10x80kg/ 8x85kg

Ab crunch machine

20x105kg/ 4x 20x125kg

My abs really have gotten much stronger from all the ab wheel work. The stack only goes to 105kg so I put two 10kg dumbbells on top of the stack.

Training Tuesday 1-4-2014

The slowest workout ever! Didn't do half of what I wanted to do.

Turned out to be a sort of max workout. Found out I'm benching exactly the same as 6 months ago! That sucks! Back to the drawing board.

Seems I'm mostly making progress with the stuff I don't try very hard to make progress with, like rows.

Also filmed a couple of things I did at the gym to make my very first workout video! Didn't do anything special. The only thing that went really well was rowing. Only filmed my heaviest sets, so my form could be a bit ragged.

Bench press

1x120kg/ 1x125kg/ 1x125kg/ 9x100kg

Dips

2xBW+45kg/ 1xBW+55kg/ 1xBW+60kg/ 1xBW+60kg/ 1xBW+60kg

Dumbbell row

6x43kg(fatgripz)/ 6x53kg(fatgripz) PR /3x58kg(fatgripz) PR/ 6x63kg/ 6x68kg PR / 4x73kg PR

Kick backs

10x16kg/ 10x18kg/ 6x20kg/ 6x20kg/ 6x20kg

+

Key pinch holds on 3mm plate

Right 4-5-5 sec x20kg

Left 6-7-5 sec x 20kg

Too heavy (for me) for a proper hold..

Barbell lunges

10x50kg/ 10x60kg/ 10x70kg

Time was up! Gym was closing.

1: I tended to experience the same, so I ditched the whole trainingscheme stuff, I am not competing so I don't need to max out on a certain moment or date just

because I should need to do so on that particular moment. Got me nowhere, since there always seems to be other stuff that takes my energy in those

weeks. We both know how real life can intere with trainingplanning. It's kinda fighting windmills :)

2: Nice to see you workout on video. Don't forget your maxing out on bench without a spotter. With proper setup and a spotter you could have done more.

Whole world of difference in how tight you can setup. Still good stuff.

1: I tended to experience the same, so I ditched the whole trainingscheme stuff, I am not competing so I don't need to max out on a certain moment or date just

because I should need to do so on that particular moment. Got me nowhere, since there always seems to be other stuff that takes my energy in those

weeks. We both know how real life can intere with trainingplanning. It's kinda fighting windmills :)

2: Nice to see you workout on video. Don't forget your maxing out on bench without a spotter. With proper setup and a spotter you could have done more.

Whole world of difference in how tight you can setup. Still good stuff.

1. Definitely. But I'm not giving up:-). The fact that I'm making progress with non priority lifst at least tells me that it is possible to progress with only two sessions a week.

2. Thanks you're to kind. ;-)

Ok so since I'm not getting the results I want to I will try something different for a while.

Off course not getting the results could very well be appointed to the demands of everyday family life, but still...

Since I only train twice a week AND want to get in some gripwork any program I try will always have to be customized. I've tried doing the biofeedback thing for about 1,5yr but it really made me feel I was swimming in the dark. I like a more fixed scheme, a battle plan. But I don't like having to reach certain targets or percentages every training, because that will f*ck you up if you're having an off day.

Anyway I'm going to try the WESTSIDE BARBELL method for a while. A very clear explanation here: http://syattfitness.com/athletic-performance/the-westside-barbell-conjugate-method-a-users-guide/

- I like the upper/lower body split

- I like the fact that you can do a 1-3 rep max every other training. Because you don't have to use a certain percentage. You can just lift as much as you can THAT day. Off course you're ment to try and set a PR every time, but we will see.

- I like the emphasis on using variations of movements so the body doesn't adapt. And I think it will help stay injury free too.

- I've tried using speedwork in the past. But I think I always went too heavy. The percentages used here seem more realistic AND they are just guidelines not fixed.

But unfortunately it will have to be customized:

- Instead of doing 4 trainings a week I will do 4 trainings in two weeks.

- I can't do squats so deadlifts will be my only main lower body movement

- I'm adding overhead press to the main upper body movements, just because..

- Obviously I will add a couple of gripmovements to the accesory work, which I will also try to split into heavier/lighter days

So the guys at Westside barbell will probably laugh there heads of if they ever see this, but you know I will give it a go anyway... :-)

Training 7-4-2014

Lower body max.+ grip

DO deadlift

2x110kg(fatgripz)/ 2x120kg(fg)/ 2x125kg(fg) /2x140kg/ 2x160kg/ 2x170kg/ 2x175kg/ 2x180kg/ 1x125kg (fg+hold)/ 1x125kg (fg+hold)

Happy with this. Up to 170kg was relatively easy. I'm doing a touch and go style for most second reps because it helps me make the weights feel lighter. Getting the weight off the floor isn't my weakpoint at the moment anyway.

Romanian deadlift

4x100kg/ 4x110kg/ 4x120kg/ 3x130kg

Pretty tired from the deadlifting

Barbell lunges

8x50kg/ 8x60kg/ 8x70kg/ 8x75kg PR

Finger curls - palms facing forward - high rep

20x60kg/ 12x70kg/12x70kg/12x70kg

Since I can't do grippers at the moment...

Key pinch holds on 3mm plate

4x15sec. x15kg

The only pinch movement that doesn't hurt at the moment...

Mounted Wristroller - 45mm clear coated steel

100cm 3x25kg/ 3x25kg

Made a new steel wristroller, because the pvc one was breaking down. I would've preferred a bit thicker pipe, but this was the only thing I had laying around.

Seated one leg calf press

15x60kg/ 15x70kg/ 10x80kg/ 8x90kg PR/ 5x95kg PR/ 20x65kg

I'm still working on my Westside barbell inspired new training experiment.

One 'cycle' looks like this:

Week 1 - DAY1- Max effort 1-3 reps, Upper body + accesory 8-12 rep sets + grip long holds or high reps

Week 1 - DAY2- Speed 60-85% 1RM, Lower body + accesory 4-6 rep sets + grip max effort or low reps

Week 2 - DAY1- Speed 60-85% 1RM, Upper body + accesory 4-6 rep sets + grip long holds or high reps

Week 2 - DAY2- Max effort 1-3 reps, Lower body + accesory 8-12 rep sets + grip max effort or low reps

My main upperbody exercises are:

- Benchpress

- Overhead press

Lower body will be deadlift only.

Accesory work I will chose based on what my weakpoints are, but also based on what i can't do because of (old) injuries.

Every new 'cycle' I will choose a different variation for the main movements.

For example bechpress: week 1 and 2 benchpress normal, week 3 and 4 incline press, week 5 and 6 pin press, week 7 and 8 floor press, week 9 and 10 benchpress normal again.

Accessory work will change every 2-4 weeks too.

I will try this for at least 10 weeks to see if I'm on to something here.. :grin:

Training Friday 11-04

Bench press Speed

6x4x60kg

Overhead strict speed

6x3x40kg

Weighted dips

6x BW+40kg/ 6xBW+45kg/ 4xBW+50kg/ 3xBW+50kg

Dumbbell row hand and knee on bench

6x53kg/ 6x63kg/ 6x68kg/ 6x68kg

Dumbbell farmers walk with fatgripz

22meter x 48kg/ 20meter x 48kg/ 18meter x 48kg

Finger curls front palms facing forward

20x60kg/ 12x70kg/ 10x70kg

Hand were already pretty much fried after the farmer walks...

Double Kettlebell crush curl

4x10x16kg

Battle ropes alternating waves

3x till exhaustion

Saw these lying around. Thought I'd have a go at it. Intense...

Sunday 13-04

Ab wheel rollouts on knees with 10kg backpack.

5x5reps

I felt my reps were getting too high with the ab wheel, I don't like high reps, so I added some extra resistance. Will try to built this up to 5x15 before adding weight again.

Hey some great news.

I'M GOING TO BE A DAD FOR THE SECOND TIME!

My girlfriend is due in October so I hope I can tick off some major goals by then!

If the experience with my son is any indication I won't be setting any records the first year...

I've got a wonderfull kid, but I lost 10lbs that first year due to lack of sleep and stress, even though I was eating and training (almost) as much as usual.

So time to set some PR's and then see if the new kid has the rigth amount of arm and legs and all that. :whacked

Interesting times for me...

• Like 3

Hey some great news.

I'M GOING TO BE A DAD FOR THE SECOND TIME!

My girlfriend is due in October so I hope I can tick off some major goals by then!

If the experience with my son is any indication I won't be setting any records the first year...

I've got a wonderfull kid, but I lost 10lbs that first year due to lack of sleep and stress, even though I was eating and training (almost) as much as usual.

So time to set some PR's and then see if the new kid has the rigth amount of arm and legs and all that. :whacked

Interesting times for me...

All the best! They say the second one is always easier :calm

Congrats Roy! Every now and again something comes along in life to remind us that training isn't everything. I wish your unborn baby good health and happiness. And as for you, hey, baby lateral raises and curls while the gf isn't looking. Just sayin' :)

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the new baby.

Family is definitely more important than lifting. But at the same time I need the lifting time to keep my sanity and be able to be a good dad and husband.

• Like 1

Training tuesday 15-4

DO Deadlift speedwork

10x 2x100kg

Romanian deadlift

4x110kg/ 4x120kg/ 4x130kg/ 4x140kg PR

Barbell lunges

6x50kg/ 6x60kg/ 6x70kg/ 6x75kg/ 6x80kg PR

Dumbbell deadlift with fatgripz

1x53kg/ 1x63kg / 1x68kg PR!/ 1x68kg/ 1x68kg

Very happy with this. Could perhaps have gone a little bit heavier with my left hand.

Fingercurls front palms facing forward

6x80kg/ 5x90kg PR!/ 4x90kg/ 4x90kg/ 4x90kg

I hope this will have a bit of carryover for when I can do grippers again...

Elbow is starting to feel better by the way.

8x80kg/ 8x90kg PR/ 8x90kg/ 6x90kg

Keypinch hold 3mm plate

Right 17-15-11-14 seconds x15kg

Left 23-19-20-19 seconds x15kg

This is going nowhere...

Mounted Wristroller 45mm, clear coated steel

100cm x40kg/ 100cm x60kg

...rope almost broke had to stop.

60kg felt relatively easy.

PR's all around!

Training tuesday 15-4

DO Deadlift speedwork

10x 2x100kg

Romanian deadlift

4x110kg/ 4x120kg/ 4x130kg/ 4x140kg PR

Barbell lunges

6x50kg/ 6x60kg/ 6x70kg/ 6x75kg/ 6x80kg PR

Dumbbell deadlift with fatgripz

1x53kg/ 1x63kg / 1x68kg PR!/ 1x68kg/ 1x68kg

Very happy with this. Could perhaps have gone a little bit heavier with my left hand.

Fingercurls front palms facing forward

6x80kg/ 5x90kg PR!/ 4x90kg/ 4x90kg/ 4x90kg

I hope this will have a bit of carryover for when I can do grippers again...

Elbow is starting to feel better by the way.

8x80kg/ 8x90kg PR/ 8x90kg/ 6x90kg

Keypinch hold 3mm plate

Right 17-15-11-14 seconds x15kg

Left 23-19-20-19 seconds x15kg

This is going nowhere...

Mounted Wristroller 45mm, clear coated steel

100cm x40kg/ 100cm x60kg

...rope almost broke had to stop.

60kg felt relatively easy.

PR's all around!

You can also try the fingercurls standing, I read Andrew Durniat does them that way. You can take a lot more weight that way, so you can work purely the fingerrolling and not the wrists, since you want to emphasize on a crushing movement and not so much on the wrists as I understand your purpose with this one. It's also less awkward getting the weight in position when starting and when failing on the last rep.

Edited by Geralt