The Shoggoth Basement

Shoggoth

You ever used or looked at this program off of T-nation?

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/8-weeks-to-a-record-bench

It may not be conducive if your trying to lose some bw but I've always wanted to run it and just never committed. Interesting read either way.

30# is the smallest gain seen on this program? Worth the attempt just to see. I think I'd need some food in my system for it though.

Another thought I had is I'd like to try Doug Hepburn's "C" program on squat and bench sometime for a 4 month stretch starting at a good 80%.

• Like 1

I'll have to check that squat program out. Yeah 30# minimum is what they claim I think you could do it without all the supps they recommend, probably just PB&J sandwich and double mix gatorade for intra workout would be fine.

• Like 1

I'll have to check that squat program out. Yeah 30# minimum is what they claim I think you could do it without all the supps they recommend, probably just PB&J sandwich and double mix gatorade for intra workout would be fine.

Listened to a good podcast yesterday with a seasoned lifter that got most of his gains after 35. I really liked what he was saying and found a couple articles of his on TN. His names Jack Reape. His one thing on program building is pretty interesting as he goes up in volume as intensity increases as well. I want to put it into a spreadsheet today and see what it looks like with real numbers.

• Like 1

Listened to a good podcast yesterday with a seasoned lifter that got most of his gains after 35. I really liked what he was saying and found a couple articles of his on TN. His names Jack Reape. His one thing on program building is pretty interesting as he goes up in volume as intensity increases as well. I want to put it into a spreadsheet today and see what it looks like with real numbers.

Read through that article you sent me this morning. Interested to try but definitely not for the solo basement lifter as there's so many spotter assisted exercises.

• Like 1

I'll have to sit down and listen to this pod cast tonight I'm always interested in training routines and trial and error of lifters from all stages. Yeah the T-nation program is definitely something you don't want to do by yourself with multiple sets over 90% haha. I remember you introduced me to that 7x3 until F, 7x2 so on routine about a year ago when you were using it for deads I believe. I used it for weighted dips and had success so you can't go wrong there either.

I'll have to sit down and listen to this pod cast tonight I'm always interested in training routines and trial and error of lifters from all stages. Yeah the T-nation program is definitely something you don't want to do by yourself with multiple sets over 90% haha. I remember you introduced me to that 7x3 until F, 7x2 so on routine about a year ago when you were using it for deads I believe. I used it for weighted dips and had success so you can't go wrong there either.

Here's big bench routine from Jack that looks Sheiko that'd be doable by yourself.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/500-the-hard-way

edit - I guess it is a Sheiko routine

Edited by Shoggoth
  • Like 1

August 20, 2015

Before Supper

Deload Back. Just some futzing around.

T-Bar Row w/D Handle

90 x 8

135 x 8

180 x 8

225 x 3 x 8r

McGill Chins w/Rock Rings - Slow Ecc

BW x 15r total - singles and doubles

Farmers Picks & Holds

140e x 10s

210e x 10s

260e x 10s

310e x ~13s

https://instagram.com/p/6oCTCXymMz/

Fwiw, I did the Russian bench routine back in 2011 and it took me from 365 to 385, which wasn't huge but I was also cutting at the time. If I was just going for numbers I think I could have gotten a better run out of it.

Fwiw, I did the Russian bench routine back in 2011 and it took me from 365 to 385, which wasn't huge but I was also cutting at the time. If I was just going for numbers I think I could have gotten a better run out of it.

I remember now talking with you about it. Do you have the program handy? I'll check der Google to.

I remember now talking with you about it. Do you have the program handy? I'll check der Google to.

I found this one. Seems like what we spoke about before. Any comments on your assistance?

http://www.dpease.com/russki/

Thanks man

That looks a bit different than the one I did, but same general concept from the looks of it. Here's the one I did:

post-14197-0-62448900-1440124556_thumb.j

As far as assistance, I didn't do anything besides the benching. My shoulders and triceps (mainly the tendons) were constantly sore from all the heavy volume during the week, so I just let them rest when I wasn't benching. I'd imagine that the routine you posted would be even more intense.

• Like 1

That looks a bit different than the one I did, but same general concept from the looks of it. Here's the one I did:

russian bench routine.JPG

As far as assistance, I didn't do anything besides the benching. My shoulders and triceps (mainly the tendons) were constantly sore from all the heavy volume during the week, so I just let them rest when I wasn't benching. I'd imagine that the routine you posted would be even more intense.

Did you run it with your actual 1RM or a percentage of it (90-95%)?

I did it with my actual 1RM. I did fail everything from the 4x4 week on, though, so using 95% wouldn't be a terrible idea.

• Like 1

August 22, 2015

Before Supper

An assistance day. Moved pretty quick. Thinking again after some more reading and listening. If a guy's getting stronger he should be able to handle more volume too. Going to keep my reps per set low over the next cycle as shown but I'm going to keep the assistance reps at 5 and under and increase the amount of sets. We'll see how she goes.

Spoto Press - 3s Pauses

45 x 3 x 8r

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 2

255 x 6 x 4r

Paused D-handle Pulldowns

175 x 6 x 4r

Face Pulls x 100r

BW Skullcrushers x 3 x 15r

Band Curls (hooked to the rack and using an EZ attachment. Feels like a preacher with more on the bottom)

LT x 3 x 15r

• Like 1

August 24, 2015

Before Supper

BW 261.2#

Deloading. Decided to play with high bar squats for a changed. Guessed they'd be 10% less than my low bar so about 475 for a 1RM but I haven't tested it. These chewed up a new spot on the back and took a bit to feel stable. Also was something different for figuring out depth.

Use 5x2r at 80% or 5x3r at 70% for deloading. Light enough to not be stressful but enough work that a guy shouldn't regress.

High Bar Squat

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

225 x 2

315 x 1

335 x 5 x 3r

KB Farmers Walk

90e x 4 laps, ~1:30 - 2:00

• Like 1

Your body weight's droppin' fast.

Are those running shoes you're squatting in?

New Balance Minimus. They look like normal runners but there's only a 4mm sole in them. Just as low as five-fingers without looking goofy haha!

New Balance Minimus. They look like normal runners but there's only a 4mm sole in them. Just as low as five-fingers without looking goofy haha!

Ah, so not too squishy.

Ah, so not too squishy.

Not at all. Really like them for lifting. Got two pairs as they fit a little small so my one pair I can't wear with socks so they're better for deads and have good traction for benching. These ones are big enough for socks so squats, etc.

• Like 1

August 25, 2015

Before Supper

Deload. Decided to see if I can still tear cards. Yep. Not as fast or fluid as the old days and it did hurt the skin but she still got done.

Bench Press - Ring on Ring

45 x 3 x 8r

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 2

255 x 2

275 x 5 x 2r

Dip

BW x 3 x 10r

Meadows Row

50 x 10

75 x 3 x 10r

• Like 1

August 27, 2015

Before Supper

BW 261.0#

Deload. Figured while on my deload I may as well start with a couple form changes for my next cycle; sumo and hook grip. Never done a lot of sumo in the past and my main cue is to try and tea-bag the bar. As for hook grip I don't think I've done much of it for a couple of years but I know my last deadlift PR's were with a hook.

I worked up until my last two work sets using the hook then went to the straps. First time in ages for these as well. I tried a reverse grip pull for my second rep of my first set and it felt like crap. Thumbs are nice and numb now anyways and are getting a little colour under the nails.

Sumo Deads

135 x 3 x 3r

225 x 2

315 x 2

365 x 1

405 x 1

455 x 5 x 2r

T-bar Rows

135 x 30

Band GM's

HY x 30

• Like 1

How much weight have you dropped? Thought you were just around 290ish not too long ago.

How much weight have you dropped? Thought you were just around 290ish not too long ago.

I started this drop at 273/4#. The 290 was a couple of years ago.