Igc Rules

EricMilfeld

• 11 months later...

I've no idea if this thread is open to questions, but since it's not locked...I'll have at it.

Looking over the rules, a question occurred to me.

Could a foreign (to North American that is) competitor a participate in an event such as NAGS without living here?

And along those same lines, if I were to (down the road) conveniently schedule a family vacation "across the pond", during a major competition, could I then particpate?

I realize we have several "world wide multiple site" competitions, I guess I'm curious as to the rules regarding the situation above.

Costs would probably keep the outline situation a rare event...but it would be cool to actually compete in person with so many of these great gripsters.

If the largest events are "exclusive", there doesn't seem to ever be a chance to compete face to face (beyond an invitational like Mighty Mitts).

Thanks for any responses.

• Like 1

I don't speak for NAGS, but in Britain we have always allowed competitors from other countries to compete in our contests and Nationals. We have had people from Sweden, USA, Finland, Spain, Germany, Holland, Canada, etc over the years.

• Like 4

Also not speaking for Nags, but the Nags Record lists reflect lifts that were not done in North America. That might be evidence of inclusion.

• Like 2

I wouldn't see anything wrong with it being a "director" of NAGS to allow someone not from North America to compete. It is a great opportunity to see where you stand against other countrymen and would welcome the opportunity.

• Like 2

Great! Thanks guys.

• 5 months later...

The Rules Document has been updated. The PDF in the original post is the brand new version.

Which rules have changed or been added?

Sorry, we eliminated the use of anything on the wrist, including wrist bands for lifts such as grippers and pinch. They can be worn prior to attempts, but have to come off for the attempt.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, we eliminated the use of anything on the wrist, including wrist bands for lifts such as grippers and pinch. They can be worn prior to attempts, but have to come off for the attempt.

Question is there any actual evidence that a wrist band gives an advantage while performing such events? I just don't see how it would give any edge on a lift. Thanks

Question is there any actual evidence that a wrist band gives an advantage while performing such events? I just don't see how it would give any edge on a lift. Thanks

On one of my sledge choke events, my wristband ended up touching the handle and DQing the attempt. If it wasn't worn there probably wouldn't have been any contact with the handle.

Also, ones that support the muscles can offer advantage vs the ones that just keep the joints warm. Unfortunately judges can't always tell them all apart.

Wrist bands, no. Especially not those power bracelets.

I think this is meant more as an all or nothing rule. You let one competitor wear a watch during an event, then you're bound to have somebody collide with you trying to use a wrist brace on sledge hammer.

To prevent "geared grip", which may sound ridiculous until you consider powerlifting, I think this is a great preemptive effort.

It probably does serve more purpose than just that, but I believe that grip should remain without ridiculous contraptions like wrist stabilizers for setting grippers or lat shirts for 2HP.

• Like 1

Wrist bands, no. Especially not those power bracelets.

I think this is meant more as an all or nothing rule. You let one competitor wear a watch during an event, then you're bound to have somebody collide with you trying to use a wrist brace on sledge hammer.

To prevent "geared grip", which may sound ridiculous until you consider powerlifting, I think this is a great preemptive effort.

It probably does serve more purpose than just that, but I believe that grip should remain without ridiculous contraptions like wrist stabilizers for setting grippers or lat shirts for 2HP.

Lmao! Good point

I think it's mostly so we don't have to inspect wrist wear. you could tape under a sweat easily enough.

It's for the good of the sport, and discussed at length by all members on the IGC.

The "process" used is the same with all rules (or laws). You do the best you can the first time around, trying to cover all possibilities - then if and issue of any kind comes up over time - you change it to fix whatever the issue was. This sometimes can take several tries as the absence of a rule against something particular leaves things open for interpretation, which everyone does differently. These thing can go for or against a current ruling - this is a new sport with new events with no long time history such as are found in some older more established sports. We simply do the best we can. Sometimes we hit the nail right on the head - sometimes we bend the nail and have to straighten it out and try again.

• Like 1

On a purely hypothetical basis, would you have to remove a loose fitting "friendship" or hippy bracelet?

On a purely hypothetical basis, would you have to remove a loose fitting "friendship" or hippy bracelet?

Although I love my hippie brothers, I remember seeing something from either IGC or IM cert rules that such bracelets are disallowed.

Was there talk of a cert failing because of a bracelet? I don't recall the details.

Maybe someone with more experience can remember or correct me.

"Anything" on the wrist is not a judgement call - this is how things get messed up. What if - how about etc etc. And pretty soon you have a mess - again.

• Like 1

The bracelet talk must be purely hypothetical because, to my knowledge, men don't wear bracelets.