Genetic Freaks

PeterSweden

An old schoolmate came by an hour ago and we were talking fishing.

Thats his hobby and I too enjoy it. Then I told him about grip, my hobby, and he tried some grippers in my kitchen.

I showed him the setting technique and after doing singles from coc1,5 to coc3 @ 153lbs he closed MM1 155lbs with a paralell set!

The son of a ***************** didnt even know what a gripper was before I took em out!!!!!

He has always been strong as hell, I knew he would do good, but not that good!

Then he tried some RT, he got 85kilos right handed and 80kilos lefty.

Too bad he isnt interested and will waste his talent, lazy mofo :)

He looks alot like Ronnie TheCanCrusher, body wise.

I have another friend that also closed a coc3 (a lighter one) the first time he tried.

He has trained gripper this summer and he has passed me in strength :S hehehe

He closes my BB Elite 161 lbs and I'm 1mm away from taking it.

Anybody else who knows freaks like this?

• Like 3

I don't know anyone like that to relate to, but I've heard many stories of guys closing big time grippers on their first shot. Sucks for me...even with weightlifting experience i struggled with the trainer when I started lol. I think vocation has a lot to do with it...if you work in heavy duty blue collar you'll probably have pretty strong hands. Gotta wonder what these natural strong guys could do if they maximized their potential.

I think that if a guy crushes a coc 3 on his first try this means two things:a-the guy worked his grip really hard(with work or training);

b-tha guy has the potential to crush a #4.

Edited by CANCRUSHER
  • Like 3

All guys i know are weak as pussies;once i make a couple of friends try an hg 150 and nobody could get it closed lol.

By the way if a guy crushes a coc 3 on his first try this means two things:a-the guy worked his grip really hard(with work or training);

Agreed

My one legged cousin closed my easy #3 after I showed him how to set it. First time touching a gripper as well. He has pretty small hands so prolly would not have been able to do any thing with it if not for setting. He is strong as hell as well and built like a brick outhouse. About 5' 9" and 275# with one leg amputated mid thigh. I've seen a handful of guys including myself close a #2 first try but personally only seen him do a #3.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Makes you wonder what their ancestors were doing such that natural selection promoted that gene expression?

Dave Morton comes to mind off the top of my head.

Heath Sexton is as well. Steve Weiner and I thought he was a troll on the board at first because of his claim to close a 3 in no time at all.

• Like 1

My current roommate closed a #2 with the normal "I don't know what I'm doing" set his first time touching a gripper (17-18yrs old). He never trained grippers. A couple years later when he was maybe 20yrs old, still with no training, I busted out a #3 that one of my buddies lent me (around 153 Eric Milfeld rating) when he was over at my house, and the man got super close to closing it with the same "I don't know what I'm doing" set. I went and put the #3 in a choker for him wider than parallel so the choker wouldn't assist at the close at all. Closed it myself to make sure it felt normal at the close, gave it to him, he mashed it. To this day he talks about my reaction to that incident. I could not believe that he closed it like that.

He didn't weight lift at all. He worked landscaping, but to be honest, that type of work won't make you THAT strong. I was in that line of work myself for a couple of years. His stats: 6'2-6'3" tall, 230lb but doesn't have the thick, farm boy look that a lot of guys have (his forearm is MAYBE 12"), his hand's span is at least ten inches but it may have been 10.5 I can't quite recall, and his length is 8" maybe 8.25". Hand not that long, but the span is impressive.

I'm not super surprised when I see a guy with Jonathan Vogt's build close a big gripper (thick, meaty hands and forearms), but my buddy with his relatively thinner build blew me away. His 5 rep bench max was 135. Weird. Probably a 160-170 bench max, and a 153ish gripper close. I was blown away. Note* major respect to Vogt on his #4 work, definitely not trying to degrade that at all. Very impressive.

As with most guys that can do ridiculous stuff grip wise out of the gate, he was strongly right hand dominant. His left wasn't as strong.

He is now (23yr old) lifting and training for armwrestling with me. He's made good progress since he began training. After seeing the #4 comments from people, I might try to get him into grippers (at the risk of his armwrestling career) because he just might have the gift.

Another buddy of mine (my old training partner) was also pretty freaky. He closed a #3 (the 153ish one) while he was 17 or 18. He trained for 1-2 years, but he was also a "normal" guy at 5'11" 180lb 7 3/4" length maybe 9ish width. He had one of the worst disparities between right and left for a while: R: #3 L: miss the #2.

Those sick strong people are out there.

• Like 1

An armwrestling buddy of mine came over to my place for practice a couple of years ago and attempted some of my grip implements. Having never trained for grip, he was able to lift the Blob50 with both hands, lift a large-horned 150-lb anvil by the horn, and lift the same anvil by two-hand pinching it by the face.

Mutants are out there...

• Like 1

Same thing as Eric. Occasionally I'll bring some grip stuff to AW practice so see if there's any interest. Coolest feat I've seen yet is JP lifting my circus bell slow and in full control with a long hold at the top. This was after practice as well. Very impressive.

• Like 1

My current roommate closed a #2 with the normal "I don't know what I'm doing" set his first time touching a gripper (17-18yrs old). He never trained grippers. A couple years later when he was maybe 20yrs old, still with no training, I busted out a #3 that one of my buddies lent me (around 153 Eric Milfeld rating) when he was over at my house, and the man got super close to closing it with the same "I don't know what I'm doing" set. I went and put the #3 in a choker for him wider than parallel so the choker wouldn't assist at the close at all. Closed it myself to make sure it felt normal at the close, gave it to him, he mashed it. To this day he talks about my reaction to that incident. I could not believe that he closed it like that.

I heard you were hooting, hollering, and jumping around. :)

All guys i know are weak as pussies;once i make a couple of friends try an hg 150 and nobody could get it closed lol.

By the way if a guy crushes a coc 3 on his first try this means two things:a-the guy worked his grip really hard(with work or training);

Michael, who closed it yesterday, has never trained in a gym. He used to do lots of skateboarding and ride his BMX when were in school and since he left school he has been working as a painter.

He was over 200 lbs in ninth grade and stronger han a regular man earlier than that.

Now he is average in length but still has thick wrists and powerful hands. :) heavily built.

My one legged cousin closed my easy #3 after I showed him how to set it. First time touching a gripper as well. He has pretty small hands so prolly would not have been able to do any thing with it if not for setting. He is strong as hell as well and built like a brick outhouse. About 5' 9" and 275# with one leg amputated mid thigh. I've seen a handful of guys including myself close a #2 first try but personally only seen him do a #3.

- Aaron

You've not been able to get him to train regularly? :)

Both Michael and Petter, my other friend, closed coc3 first time out. They are built about the same, only Petter is 195cm tall. :)

I have lots of friends that closed coc2 the first time I showed them the technique.

I think I started just below my coc2 in strength.

Too bad I seem to be a "hard gainer" in grippers.

Well you guys and these stories have all depressed the hell out of me

"Nearly all the satisfaction comes from battling and overcoming your opponent. Having them simply yield to you...leaves little to savor". - me

• Like 4

Don't let these kinds of things depress you. I know it doesn't seem fair that there are some guys (who are usually freaky big) who can walk off the street and lift a blob or an inch with hardly any specific grip training. I would bet you that they've trained their hands in one capacity or another without knowing it; perhaps through manual labor or some other sort of heavy lifting. People aren't just born with this kind of strength, no matter what the perception may turn out to be.

I don't know exactly where you are in your training; but if you're a beginner I can assure you everybody on this board has stood in your shoes at one point. I've been training over 2 years now and I'm just now starting to knock down the long term goals I had set from the beginning. The thing about grip training is that you don't have to be a genetic freak to do things that most people think are freaky (like almost every one of the grip sport feats). Sometimes it just takes some people longer to get there - but the chase is part of the fun for me. If everybody could do this stuff easily with no work there would be no point in the Gripboard.

True, there may be some very rare people who seemingly have endless ability, but equally rare is finding one of these "genetic freaks" who actually see their potential through. All of us on this board have made a decision to actuate our potential at some level. You're already ahead, dude. Keep training smart and be your own guide. Don't get caught up in the tall tales out there (much of it is exaggerated). :)

• Like 4

Dont be depressed dude once my max gripper was the hg 300 lol.

• Like 1

Those were some inspiring words! Thanks a lot gentlemen! The members here are the most respectful people I've talked to on the internet.

My 300 is still pretty hard lol... rated 149

When you were 3 yrs old mate, thats a long time ago!

• Like 2

When you were 3 yrs old mate, thats a long time ago!

Ahahahahaha

I have to agree with Anthony. This is just the most depressing topic ever! I've been working on my grip for 3 years now and still can't close the *#%! IM3.

However most people at my gym who have tried have a really hard time even closing the IM1. Only one who came very close to closing the IM2 first time out was my nephew from doing manual labour. You've all got some strong friends.

Guest Squat More

Do you squat Royz? If you don't then that might be the problem, try attempts on your #3 after sets of heavy squats, do that for the foreseeable future and see what happens.

• Like 4

Do you squat Royz? If you don't then that might be the problem, try attempts on your #3 after sets of heavy squats, do that for the foreseeable future and see what happens.

I think that many guys dont realize how important is doing heavy barbell movements in order to close big grippers;

bench press is also very important for setting.

• Like 2

I find that heavy deadlifts and dumbell presses help me.