2014 Az Cactus Grip Comp

acorn

A finished all-steel 1/4 scale Inch replica DB for trophy. 6 are done, 3 more to paint.

1/4 Scale Inch replica DB for 2014 AZ Cactus Grip Trophies

• Like 4

You really outdid yourself, Aaron. That's a great looking trophy!

Aaron has asked me to partner in the organization of and host the AZCG 2014. As such, the venue has moved 90 min North to Gilbert, AZ. The address will be published with the sign-up form, as I don't care to blast out my address on the open interwebs. The date will remain the same. All other contest details will remain the same (times, events, trophies etc.). Aaron will still be the primary judge of the events, and as available, his equipment will be used. The main reason we are changing the location is to ease some of the load on Aaron.

We'd like to get a sense of expected attendance in spite of this, so please comment below. I will also be sending out an email blast to the local folks who may not frequent the gripboard as often.

It will really appreciate the shorter drive!! Thanks for hosting Martin.

I will be competing. And thanks for taking this on and helping out Aaron, Martin!

That makes 3 of us so far. I'm getting to work on the trophy bases this weekend.

This makes four.

Tell the Euro that I'm going to dent its discs, I've been missing pizza too much in preparation for this.

• Like 1

I was telling Eric, that when you guys stay over at the house, you can watch my copies of Bending Steel, and Kinney's Get a Grip if you are so inclined. Also have some other stuff from Adam T Glass, and stuff on KBs, but that may not be as entertaining.

• Like 2

I have the entry form created as PDF. PM me, and I can email it out to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Completed a wooden 18" platform for the sledge lift tonight.

Bases are cut and routed for the trophies. Have to do some drillin', and put the top coat on tomorrow.

Placards have been ordered for the trophies as well.

• Like 1

Completed a wooden 18" platform for the sledge lift tonight.

Bases are cut and routed for the trophies. Have to do some drillin', and put the top coat on tomorrow.

Placards have been ordered for the trophies as well.

Very nice, Martin. Can't wait to see them in person!

gallery_21339_1434_1442566.jpg

Good news: Trophies are coming along. Just have some light sanding & a top coat or two to do. Then stick the placards on Tuesday.

Bad news: Grandfather got admitted to hospice yesterday, and is not doing so well. I will keep people posted on contingency plans if he dies and I fly back for the funeral.

Edited by bwwm
  • Like 2

Trophies look great guys.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather Martin. Take care.

I'm sorry to hear that. My grandfather passed away just a month ago.

Keep us posted, and I wish your family strength.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. He is 96 and lived a great life. The challenge is, we don't know when he will pass. Could be tonight, could be 2 weeks from now. So I am going to continue preparations as if we are still on for Saturday.

There are still a couple options if I do fly out 1.) we move the date again, or 2.) my wife is happy to have you guys over, and you can still do the comp here. I can get everything setup beforehand. You've invested a lot in travel, rearranging exams, etc. and I want to do everything I can to minimize any impact to you guys.

Martin, first off, I'm saddened to hear of your great impending loss. Its nothing for me to cancel things at my end. Perhaps Cactus just isn't meant to happen this year. How about we save the trophies for next year. I wouldn't feel right about going forward with the event now.

Martin, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I am glad he has a lot of family support around him now, and when he passes.

Besides me and Eric, you and Aaron, who was planning on being at the comp?

Nobody knows what will be happening, but act on your own discretion and don't feel bad if you have to cancel.

I will still be making preparations according to plan until things are more clear.

There are a few more people stopping by to spectate - David D. and Brandon A. They have competed in the past, but haven't been training lately.

Here's my proposal. If it's okay with you, Martin, as well as Aaron and the other NAGS guys, I'd really like to hold sort of a proxy contest here at my house. This way the event-specific training Yori and I have been focusing on for the last few months won't go to waste. We are both going after several weight class world records. Of course, the date, time, rules, events, and order of things would all stay the same. I think in light of us keeping all the relevant items the same it's not really going around the "30 day minimum notice for contests" rule.

Hi Eric,

At this point, I don't have any information yet that says we won't be able to have it here Saturday. But in all fairness I wanted to give you guys a heads up, because I have driven from DFW to PHX, and I wouldn't want to pop a last minute surprise on you.

I think your proposal is fine, but I'm not a decision maker in these sorts of things.

Aaron and I have done everything in our power to keep this comp alive, but it seems like the roadblocks have taken on a new level of tenacity this year.

Hi Eric,

At this point, I don't have any information yet that says we won't be able to have it here Saturday. But in all fairness I wanted to give you guys a heads up, because I have driven from DFW to PHX, and I wouldn't want to pop a last minute surprise on you.

I think your proposal is fine, but I'm not a decision maker in these sorts of things.

Aaron and I have done everything in our power to keep this comp alive, but it seems like the roadblocks have taken on a new level of tenacity this year.

Unless for some reason you really still want to host the contest, I am more than happy to do so if it's ok with all the involved parties. Under the circumstances, I would feel a bit uncomfortable competing with you hosting under such stress. I say that because I couldn't imagine doing so myself when I lost my grandfather a couple of years ago. I know Aaron was lukewarm on competing at this point, to begin with. Canceling at this point certainly doesn't reflect poorly on you or Aaron. If there's any chance at all the contest could be cancelled or that you would be absent, and it sounds like there is, it would be much easier at this point for Yori and I to start making the arrangements and travel changes necessary to host it in Ft. Worth ASAP.

I don't have a problem with this if Martin does not. There is discussion on the whether we can do this on the NAGS promoter forum right now as well.

- Aaron

At this point, I really prefer Eric's suggestion.

Absolutely nothing against Aaron and Martin, and I'd like to compete with you guys the next chance we have.

However if the contest can be relocated to fort worth, it will take away all uncertainties this year and give me something concrete to plan for.

This year, it just seems like our stars are all unaligned. A reschedule wouldn't be great either, because I'm 15 down and don't see myself maintaining this weight much longer.

I am hopeful that taking this off your hands this year will give you both some needed peace of mind.

If and when you throw AZCG 2015, I'll be there and will bring it my all.

Last night my grandfather passed away. The funeral is Friday, and thus I'm not able to be at the comp. Since it seems like Yori and Eric (besides me) were the only ones competing (although there might have been some last minute folks that decided to do it), then I think it makes sense just for you guys to do it in TX, and save yourselves a heck of a lot of driving.