7" X 8mm Square Crs Bend Attempt

JoshW

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MIbHl_62tvg

7" x 8mm square 408lbs at 6" cal'd at 30 degrees from David Horne

So I haven't bent in a month or two so my technique is off, one side pushes more than the other watching back so I will need to adjust that! bent a 404lbs 7" x 5/16" crs before hand in a few mins as a warm up

The kink on this feels like the iron grip 120kg bar but the sweep feels harder.

Back to bending now!

• Like 1

Nice solid attempt Josh! You got stuck at a really tough spot. Usually for me if I can't keep it moving through that area I wont be able to finish off the bend.

I'm the same way with my right arm pushing harder on a max bend than my left. I have to keep flipping the bar over to hopefully keep it moving.

Out of curiosity do you know what kind of steel that is?

• Like 1

Thanks Frank! I got the same feeling once I got to roughly 3.5" I knew it wasn't going anywhere! I think a few more sessions and it will bend as I'm slowly getting back into it, always struggled at the crush but I think I was mainly out of energy after a short layoff.

It's weird how I don't know that I'm pushing more on one side until i play it back!

As to the steel, it's not any EN3B or EN1 etc steel I usually get from david, it's got a small coating of something as when I kinked it, it flaked off all on my fingers. On my next order I will ask, as you got me curious too! As it is quite a dark bar, now you mention it.

Thanks for checking it out!

Josh and Frank that is HRS and most likely A36 since it is the easiest to find in all countries. You can tell by the wide arc and the flakey coating. HRS sometimes is actually harder than CRS. I've had some 3/8" hrs that I barely finished ve 3/8 CRS that I plowed through.

Here is a pro tip. Once you slide the wraps on, twist them. You'll feel them either tighten way up or loosen. You can get wraps super super tight on square and hex bars by doing this. It will help tremendously with the bend. That was a great fight and the only way to overcome the strength imbalance from one arm to the other is to bend more and be aware of what you are doing. Now I can feel what arm is pushing too much or not and I can adjust to fix it. You'll be able to do the same with more practice.

• Like 1

Thank you for the detailed response EJ. It being HRS would make alot of sense! Definitely some of the hardest stock I've tried .

I will try twisting it, awesome tip. Now that I am aware of this imbalance, i should be able to fix it whilst bending!

So glad I am bending again, I have the funds to support the steel I want :D I plan on getting this square down, do some volume on it and work my way down to 6".

Thanks for the advice and for watching bro.

Nice, id say back off and get your groove back from a week of bending volume; then kill the same piece. Squares lock like horse shoes, milk that. They lock like EJ said; use that to the max. Nothing helps more than stabilized steel.

• Like 1

Thanks Jose. I have some 5/16x7" stuff which is slightly easier so I will do some volume on that then see where I am. Might need to order more steel ;)

Might need to order more steel

This is the first thought on every benders mind at all times.

"Ya know my workout went well, I think I need more steel." or "Man that was a rough workout, I definitely need to order more steel."

Call it a curse. Great bend, too. Strong stuff, bro. I'm looking forward to getting up into the square and hex stuff.

Haa, this is true. We can never have enough!

Thanks brutha. Squares are alot more painful on the index fingers but other than that they are great ;) get some FBBC squares when they launch in the next few weeks. Should be about 380lbs at 7"..atleast that's what I read on the pinned cal'd bastards topic!