Pat's Training Log

patrickmeniru

So, my #2.5 and chalk balls arrived today - was pretty excited to try them out so made a video immediately.

Was very happy with the right hand close, felt really solid. Left hand was tough, i need to work on getting a good set.

I'm pretty sure i'll be able to CCS the #2.5 with my right hand, i did try a TNS but couldn't get the last 1/8" or so.

Skip to 1:00 for the actual close.

Edited by patrickmeniru

Great Job! nothing better than closing a brand new gripper right out of the package. If your that close to a #2.5 TNS, you must be close to a #3 MMS.

Agreed! I put off getting the #2.5 until i was pretty confident i would get it closed out of the packet :)

As far as the #3 goes, i'm not going to touch it again until i hit 5 TNS reps with the #2.5, i don't think that my hands respond particularly well to negatives, so i'll work the #2 and #2.5 reps and some #2.5 strapholds until i fell confident of having a really good go at getting an MMS close on the #3.

Time-wise, i think a month is a realistic time-goal to TNS the #2.5, and then another month or so to get the reps up. But we'll see, i started out wanting to get MM0 video done before the end of 2011, so i'd like to achieve that.

Had football training yesterday:

10 minutes of 5-a-side

5 minutes of continuous plank variations

5 minutes of 5-aside

5 minutes of continous glute isolation exercises right leg

10 minutes of 5-aside

5 minutes of continous glute isolation exercises left leg

50 bodyweight squats

50 bodyweight mini squat 'pulses' (starting from a mid-squat position and moving up and down slightly)

30 push-ups

10 clapping push-ups - managed to do a couple of reps with a clap infront, clap behind the back and then clap infront again before landing on hands - three claps in all, saw it on a YouTube video and was pleased to be able to replicate it myself :grin:

Then went to the gym briefly:

5 muscle ups

10 pull-ups

6 chin-ups

1 x 6 military press 35kg (focus on delts, not recruiting chest)

1 x 4 chest press 100kg

1 x 4 dragon flags

1 x 12 hamstring curls 100kg

1 x 4 quad extensions 100kg

1 x 1 quad extensions, one leg 100kg - didn't get the complete lock-out on either leg, but fairly close (leg at maybe 165-170 degrees)

1 x 6 60m sprints

1 x 3 consecutive freestanding handstand pushups!! Really pleased with this, as usually i struggle to balance for even one rep!! :)

I was with the football boys, so nothing serious, just showing off some exercises etc :blush

Did weigh myself on some accurate scales though for the first time in a while, weighed 89kg with sweat-drenched clothes and shoes on, so i reckon i'm no more than 88kg, getting closer to my sub 85kg goal! Also tried a tuck planche a few days ago on parallel bars (the tops of two bike racks) and felt much closer than before.

Elbow felt a tiny bit sore yesterday, but fine today - will avoid upper body work today and do some extensor stuff just in case, do have football training later though.

Had football training for 90 minutes as my cardio.

Core/Upper:

5 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches each side, 20 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists)

1 x 6 ab-wheel rollouts

2 x 10 leg raises

2 x 5 pull-ups

1 x 5 chin-ups

1 x 10 pull-ups in L-seat position

1 x 50 tricep stair dips

2 x 10 narrow dips

3 x 10 pushups

1 x 6 handstand pushups

1 x 2 handstand pushups from fists

2 x 20 bicycle crunches

Grip work:

Warm-up:

A couple of normal and inverted closes with a store gripper

1 x 2 #1 TNS

1 x 1 #2 TNS

Working sets:

1 x 2 MMS #2.5 Right

1 x 0 MMS #2.5 Left

1 x 2 TNS #2 both hands

1 x 5 explosive #1 TNS both hands

Called it a day after this, my hands are still clearly pretty fried from my #2.5 attempts on Saturday, so i'll give them a couple of days rest.

Played a football match today, not planning on doing anything else, other than maybe a little tuck planche training, but nothing serious.

I must be getting stronger in my core, tried an ab-wheel rollout today (from standing) and managed to get full extension and recover back to my starting position, although with a great deal of effort!! Really happy to have finally ticked that one off.

Brings my BeastSkills checklist total to 11/23 skills.

http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/

I'd like to get them all, but the one arm pull/chin and variations are a long, long way off. Front lever is a work in progress but again, i have a considerable way to go. Ditto clapping handstand pushups and the combos.

Managed to hurt my thumb last night, drunkenly trying to overhead press a friend. Stupid thing to do, can barely move the thumb at the moment, so will have to take some time off gripping with my right hand, probably a week or so, will continue working my left.

Managed to hurt my thumb last night, drunkenly trying to overhead press a friend. Stupid thing to do, can barely move the thumb at the moment, so will have to take some time off gripping with my right hand, probably a week or so, will continue working my left.

Rest up the thumb, drinks can do that :tongue

Haha, thanks man, at any rate, been a few days now and it's still pretty sore. Can't really lift anything with a pinch grip, but am able to start on grippers again. Wanted to get a #2.5 TNS on video, but my strength isn't quite high enough yet, the spread on the #2.5 is a little bigger than the #2, and i struggle to get leverage over it with a TNS, but did manage to get a close with a very partial set, probably a little wider than CCS, but not a full range of motion. Managed this a few days ago too, but then hurt the thumb. If anyone wants to see a CCS close with a card i'll get one done at some stage, if not then i won't bother with another vid until i get some decent MMS reps or a TNS close. Also had a shot at MMS closing my #3, not sure of the gap but pretty sure it was around the 1/4" mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't worked out in a while now, grippers or calisthenics. A couple of reasons, managed to aggravate an old achilles injury and then fell off my bike and was a little banged up after that.

But that's hopefully behind me now, achilles feels much better and the thumb is starting to get full mobility back, although still sore during certain motions, grazes from the bike accident on my hand and wrist aren't helping things either, but it's discomfort rather than actual injury-pain, so i'll put up with it.

Did a mini-workout today, some pull-ups, sit-ups and pushups along with a couple of other things. I always find that if i take a couple of weeks off, my strength and endurance is initially WAY down, as in even 20 good form push-ups feels like a struggle. After working through this rusty period though, i sometimes come back stronger, so fingers crossed, have put on a little weight though.

Will hit the gym tomorrow properly, planning on doing some upper body work, as i have football on saturday and don't want to fatigue my legs, although i really need to get some squats, cleans and dead-lifts going asap to supplement the calisthenics.

A friend has challenged me to an arm-wrestle in March, although i'm not planning to train specifically for it, any advice on basic AW exercises to help out a complete novice would be welcome :)

Just went out and bought a 7lb sledgehammer for levering work and a small spring clamp, which i'm planning on using for some thumb work to develop my thumb-pad. I would take a pic, but im sure you've all seen them before, and i still haven't worked out how to make the photo uploader work :(

Hit the gym for the first time in a long time today. Didn't record exactly what i did but here's a general idea:

1 set of muscle-ups

A few sets of pull-ups/chins, variety of grips

Some bicep curls, hammer grip

Weighted dips, 24kg

Unweighted dips

Weighted pull-ups/chins, 16kg

Did some pull-up holds with false grip, read about it as AW exercise, seemed to work pretty well.

Chest press

Military press

Dragon flags

Sit-ups

Dumbbell press

Leg raises

Strength and particularly endurance is way down on what it was, only managed 2 D-flags, as opposed to 6 or so and 6 pull-ups was a struggle, when before i was doing comfortable sets of 10. Similar story with dips and pushups, hopefully will improve quickly.

Finally managed to get the photo uploader to work for me :)

So here is my first ever flag! I'll try and get one somewhere around college, it's quite a picturesque location so could make for a nice photo if can find a suitable gate or railing...

Flag

wow, never tried this but it looks super hard. nice job

Haha, thanks Chez - i guess it's one of those things that looks harder than it is. If you can do a few solid handstand push-ups then you'll have the shoulder strength. The other component is really strong obliques, so lots of side crunches and twists etc. I struggled with it for a while then suddenly it just happened! The hardest part for me was finding somewhere with two suitable parallel bars the right distance apart (for me it was about 4 feet). There is a good tutorial on BeastSkills.com

Workout today:

2 hours football training

1 x 5 second flag hold each side

2 x 5 handstand pushups

5 x 10 push-up variations

5 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches each side, 20 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists)

Cardio/Lower body:

Played a football match today for 90 mins

Upper body:

500m on Rowing machine to warm-up

1 x 8 muscle-ups

1 x 20 dips

1 x 5 weighted pull-ups with 24kg

1 x 10 weighted dips with 24kg

2 x 10 pull-ups

2 x 20 dips

2 x 8 bicep curls 18kg dumbbell

1 x 10 kettle-bell cleans with 24kg

5 x 10 pushups (with variations)

3 x 8 40kg Military press

1 x 10 front raises with 5kg dumbbells

1 x 20 weighted sit-ups

1 x 20 russian twists with 12kg

3 x 8 chin-ups

3 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches each side, 20 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists)

Some light extensor work

Edited by patrickmeniru

Had a horrible fitness session today with the football team:

Four sets of hill sprints, sprint up the entire hill (approx 150m), slow jog back, then 3/4, slow jog back, then 1/2, then 1/4. Slow jog for 3 minutes for recovery and then repeat. We also did 3 additional runs up the entire hill with slow jog back, the last one we walked back.

Not sure what the gradient was but probably something like a 1:8, not too steep but noticeable, especially towards the end of the session.

Ate a bunch of cereal during the day and felt guilty so went for a 30 min swim and rowed on an ergo machine for 10 mins.

Grip workout:

Warm up:

1 x 2 #1

1 x 2 #2

Working sets:

1 x 1 #2.5 CCS right hand

8 x 1 #2.5 wide MMS set right hand

8 x 0 CCS set left hand, forced closed with right (haven't worked out the set with left hand yet)

2 x 10 #2 right hand wider than MMS reps

1 x 10 #2 left hand MMS reps

1 x 6 #2 left hand MMS reps

1 x 10 TNS reps #1 explosive closes

2 x 5 partial closes (probably 3/4 closes) with spring clamp using thumb and fingertips to develop thumb-pad

Some levering with 7lb sledge

Forgot to add that i did a little pinching yesterday after my swim/rowing.

Oddly the powerlifting room doesn't seem to have any non-rubberized 15kg plates, just 5kg and below and some 20kg plates. I managed a few lifts of 30kg one hand pinch using one 20kg metal plate (finger side) and one 10kg rubberised plate (thumb side). Clearly the rubber will help grip, but i put it on the thumb side to try and minimise the advantage.

Was at max effort, real struggle to get it up higher than a foot or so and couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds at the top, but happy nonetheless.

Ate a bunch of cereal during the day and felt guilty so went for a 30 min swim and rowed on an ergo machine for 10 mins.

Grip workout:

Warm up:

1 x 2 #1

1 x 2 #2

Working sets:

1 x 1 #2.5 CCS right hand

8 x 1 #2.5 wide MMS set right hand

8 x 0 CCS set left hand, forced closed with right (haven't worked out the set with left hand yet)

2 x 10 #2 right hand wider than MMS reps

1 x 10 #2 left hand MMS reps

1 x 6 #2 left hand MMS reps

1 x 10 TNS reps #1 explosive closes

2 x 5 partial closes (probably 3/4 closes) with spring clamp using thumb and fingertips to develop thumb-pad

Some levering with 7lb sledge

Doing those wide closes as easy as you did with the 2.5...the #3 should be coming along nicely for ya

I sure hope so! Although i've promised myself that i will get the thing shut next time i try it, so i won't touch it until i get to 5 wide reps with the #2.5. My goal was to get the #3 closed MMS by the end of 2011, so even if i haven't got the reps with the #2.5, i'll give the #3 a shot on new years eve.

Starting to feel comfortable with the #2.5 closes, getting them shut really firmly, hopefully the TNS isn't too far off.

Had football training yesterday for a couple of hours, lots of cardio! Played indoor 5-a-side and did little track work too.

Afterwards i hit the gym for a little bit, but was too tired to get in a good session:

2 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches each side, 20 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists with 8kg)

2 x 10 leg raises

2 x 10 sit-ups

2 x 8 hanging leg raises

2 x 15 back hyper-extensions

1 x 5 muscle ups

4 x 6 pull-ups

1 x 10 chin-ups

3 x 10 dips

2 x 20 push-ups

Grip Training

Warmup:

2 x 1 sets #1 TNS

1 x 2 sets #2 CCS

Working sets:

2 x 2 sets #2.5 MMS

1 x 6 #2 CCS

1 x 4 #2 CCS

1 x 10 #1 Explosive reps

1 x 10 #1 inverted left hand

1 x 6 #1 inverted right hand

Thumb work with spring clamp

Lever work with 7lbs sledge hammer

Didn't mention it in my last post, but on the 17th i came within a hairs width of MMSing my #3! I didn't feel the handles touch, but then i'm not sure i would if a close was my absolute max? After a second or two i asked a friend to check the gap and he thought that the handles weren't quite touching but that the gap was under 1mm. Massive improvement on my best attempt thus far. Next time i grab the #2.5 and feel really good on it, i'll try and get a video of a #3 attempt. Hopefully this week, but it depends on how i feel. Confident of getting MM0 this year now!!

With regards to other training, i've let my core work drop significantly of late, due to a variety of factors including injury, other commitments and laziness. Been playing lots of football though.

Yesterday:

Cardio:

Football training for 2 hours.

Core:

Haphazard, eclectic mix of sit-ups, chins, pull-ups, handstand-pushups, pushups, dips and leg raises. Light session just to get back into the groove a bit.

Have got a football match tonight and lots of work to do, but i'll try and fit a proper session in tonight. Getting so close to the #3 has got me really motivated to get my overall strength back up.

Excellent work in the last month or so! Sounds like you're going to cert MM0 here very soon. Right on man. Then it's time to climb the MM ladder.

Thanks Ben, i sure hope so!

Did my first gym session in AGES today, felt pretty good, decided to mix things up rather than do lots of sets of the same exercises, i've got a big game tomorrow (football) and didn't want to get too fatigued. I've written what i did in the exact order, so you can see the exercises that i super-setted etc. It was quite a long session, probably an hour and a half all told, but i managed to keep a good intensity for the weighted exercises particularly.

Warm-up:

500m on rowing machine

3 x slow pull-ups, narrow, mid and wide grip

5 x slow dips

10 x push-ups

Working sets:

1 x 2 strict bicep curls 27.5kg dumbbell

1 x 8 muscle ups (felt really good, could have got 10 i'm pretty sure)

1 x 10 dips with 20kg

1 x 1 chin-up/pull-up with 20kgs

1 x 1 chin-up/pull-up with 35kgs

1 x 1 chin-up/pull-up with 40kgs

1 x 1 chin-up with 45kgs

1 x 0 pull-up with 45kgs

All of these above 20kgs were PB/PRs, as i've never tried to max out before, pretty happy to get 150% bodyweight with the chin, missed the pull-up by a good 6" or so.

2 x 10 dips with 24kg

1 x 10 strict bicep curls 18kg dumbbell

1 x 10 close grip chin-ups

1 x 20 dips

1 x 10 wide grip pull-ups (kipped the last couple)

2 x 10 butterfly press 22.5kg each arm

2 x 5 seated rows 75kg

1 x 5 chest to bar chin-ups

1 x 10 dumbbell rows 27.5kg

1 x 15 dumbbell chest press 27.5kg

1 x 10 seconds hold of 27.5kg dumbbell in mid-hammer curl position at 90 degrees.

3 x 6 shoulder press 18kg dumbbells

1 x 10 pull-ups, bit of a kip in the last few

1 x 6 front raises with 10kg dumbbell

1 x 6 side raises with 6kg dumbbell

1 x 10 dips

1 x 10 chest press machine 75kgs

2 x 6 reverse wrist curls 10kgs

1 x 8 wrist curls 27.5kgs

1 x 6 military press 60kg

2 x 8 tricep pull-downs rope attachment 70kgs

1 x 10 bicep curls 10kg

1 x 6 palm down curls 10kg

2 x 5 hanging leg raises

1 x 5 dragon flags (haven't done for a while found these HARD)

2 x 20 push-ups (almost failed 2nd set)

1 x 10 leg raises

2 x (20 crunches, 20 oblique crunches each side, 20 feet raised crunches, 20 russian twists with 7kg)

2 x 20 lower back hyper-extensions

Cooldown:

Cycled home!

Edited by patrickmeniru