New World Record By Gripboard Member Steve Weiner!

Bill Piche

Stay out of my kitchen! Man that was a great job by a great talent! Steve has always been there as a true friend , strongman and gentleman. A credit to his family and his amazing strength!

• Like 1

Richard- No worries, I will stay out of your kitchen, but it is probably the contents of your fridge that will be more in danger than your frying pans! :)

Very kind words from a very nice man, and is THE GUY that got me motivated to work as hard on my grip as I have over the last 15 years or so.

• Like 1

Thanks for the very kind sentiments everybody.

Bill- I was referred by somebody I know for the show. Casting called me and I had to go through a very elaborate screening process and had to follow Guinness' very strict rules once I was selected to appear on the show. The stage is very brightly lit, and very hot because of the lights. I only had one chance at my record attempt. There is a strict set of rules and standards that Guinness sets for all record attempts that are made. The crowd is very loud and the building they tape the show in is an oild airplane hangar, so all the cheering reverberates off the ceiling and walls making it very hard to hear the judge when he counted me down. There is no clock to watch, so it makes it difficult to judge your time. I had a great time and was treated well. All in all, it was an experience I will never forget.

Martin- I used Tramontina pans which were within their specifications. An official from Guinness made sure that they were up to snuff.

Where was the location Steve? Did you have to travel to it? That makes it even harder IMO.

Bill,

I went to California (three hour time difference for me) to tape the show. As soon as I got there, I "freshened up" and went to tape my informational interview segment of the show. My sleep was pretty thrown off that first night. I tried to stay up as late as I could so I would not get up in the middle of the night, but that did not work. The day of my attempt I was instructed to be "on call" from the early morning and on waiting for the call from the production crew as to when the shuttle bus to the studio would pick me up for my attempt. Once I got the phone call, I was told I would not have much time to get my things together. My time slot bounced around from morning to afternoon back to morning, so I really had to keep my energy level in check so I would be ready to go for my attempt. When I arrived at the studio, I went to a waiting room with a few other contestants. When I was called, I had about 10 minutes to warm up before my attempt. It was different than anything than I have ever done, but since I have been in "on call" situations for a few AOBS performances and some other shows that I have done, that was helpful, but I was never "on call" for almost half a day. In the end, it all went very well, but if I was not comfortable performing on front of crowds, it may have been a very different story. I have seen people who perform well in front of a few friends fold under the pressure when put in front of a large crowd. Put that all together with lights, cameras and the possibility of failure in front of a national television audience of about 1.5 million people, and things can go very differently than expected. Thankfully things went better than I ever could expect. I give alot of credit to the strongman competitors who go overseas to compete.

Edited by 3Crusher

Bill,

I went to California (three hour time difference for me) to tape the show. As soon as I got there, I "freshened up" and went to tape my informational interview segment of the show. My sleep was pretty thrown off that first night. I tried to stay up as late as I could so I would not get up in the middle of the night, but that did not work. The day of my attempt I was instructed to be "on call" from the early morning and on waiting for the call from the production crew as to when the shuttle bus to the studio would pick me up for my attempt. Once I got the phone call, I was told I would not have much time to get my things together. My time slot bounced around from morning to afternoon back to morning, so I really had to keep my energy level in check so I would be ready to go for my attempt. When I arrived at the studio, I went to a waiting room with a few other contestants. When I was called, I had about 10 minutes to warm up before my attempt. It was different than anything than I have ever done, but since I have been in "on call" situations for a few AOBS performances and some other shows that I have done, that was helpful, but I was never "on call" for almost half a day. In the end, it all went very well, but if I was not comfortable performing on front of crowds, it may have been a very different story. I have seen people who perform well in front of a few friends fold under the pressure when put in front of a large crowd. Put that all together with lights, cameras and the possibility of failure in front of a national television audience of about 1.5 million people, and things can go very differently than expected. Thankfully things went better than I ever could expect. I give alot of credit to the strongman competitors who go overseas to compete.

That makes your record even more impressive.

Performing a feat in your own comfortable environment is just not the same in my opinion.

• Like 1

Congratulations Steve! Way to go bud.

Awesome Steve

Awesome work Steve! !!!

Seeing you roll those pans and looking at my wife's expensive pans has me thinking... You could have your own mash monster pots and pans certs.

We have some "calphalon 2" and an "All Clad" if yor ever are in philly.

Great stuff and thanks for telling what the behind the scenes was like.