One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

I tried a flag off of a pole the other day, and I can get into the form, but can't hold it up for more than a second. Maybe I need more core work...

I want to eventually be able to do it off of a suspended chain, but as for now... I can't really kick into it. Very soon though.

I also remembered a video that I think adam glass shot a long time ago for oblique work... it was a side bend except the barbell is held on your back and only one side is loaded. I think that I may incorporate them instead of DB side bends.

One thing that's really important to focus on with the flag is to really lock out the shoulder of the bottom hand in the 'shrug' position. Unless you have the correct shoulder position, it doesn't matter how strong you are, the exercise become a lot harder.

Finally found somewhere to practice the flag near where i live, managed to hold a full flag with a slight bend in my top arm for a good 4/5 seconds left arm down and 3/4 second right arm down. It's strange, my right arm is my dominant arm, but i feel that my ability to lock out my shoulder is a lot stronger in my left arm, any ideas why that might be?

With the OAC stuff, i've been working on one arm hangs - do you guys have any tips on how to stop yourself spinning around while hanging, it makes it a fair bit more difficult IMO.

"my right arm is my dominant arm, but i feel that my ability to lock out my shoulder is a lot stronger in my left arm, any ideas why that might be?"

No idea but I've found the same to be true with me.

"With the OAC stuff, i've been working on one arm hangs - do you guys have any tips on how to stop yourself spinning around while hanging, it makes it a fair bit more difficult IMO."

In my experience the control just comes with training, but you have to resist the spinning when you're hanging.

Don't just hang, but retract your scapula and actively try to pull yourself up, like you're actually attempting the OAC. This should at least decrease any spinning.

Cheers for the tips, yeah i try and retract my scapula to prevent injury to my shoulder girdle, but i don't actually try and pull myself into the bar at all, so i'll work on that next time, maybe for sets of 10 seconds or so.

I don't want to overdo it though, how often do/did you guys train hangs? I was thinking something along the lines of every other day for 3/5 sets of 10 seconds depending on how i feel, stopping if i gets painful etc, doing a SSC for a month or so and then maybe upping the length of hang.

They're pretty taxing, actually, I just did them for 1 or 2 sets of 5-8 seconds each arm after weighted chins and partial or finger assisted OAC, 2-3 times per week.

Pretty taxing indeed! I just went out in the garden and tried doing them with full retraction, a lot harder than i thought, but it did help the spin. I got about 5 seconds with my left arm but could barely do 1 second with my right arm, i'll work on holding the position with a small assist from my other arm until i'm strong enough to hold it with my right arm without risking injury. Cheers for the advice, i'll probably follow a similar schedule with my left arm and as soon as i'm strong enough with my right.

I have no need to train hangs... my grip is gradually being strengthened as I advance on the towel method. I have hanged however, just to get the feel and I don't really seem to have much problem with rotation.

I have no need to train hangs... my grip is gradually being strengthened as I advance on the towel method. I have hanged however, just to get the feel and I don't really seem to have much problem with rotation.

The purpose of the 'isometric hang' was more to build starting strength than anything else, since that was my weak point... just like a lockoff at the top would help build strength in that position.

I'm not sure what Patrick's goal is with the hang, of course, but that's what I used it for. No need to isometrically 'pull up' with your bicep if you just want grip strength, for example.

The purpose of the 'isometric hang' was more to build starting strength than anything else, since that was my weak point... just like a lockoff at the top would help build strength in that position.

I'm not sure what Patrick's goal is with the hang, of course, but that's what I used it for. No need to isometrically 'pull up' with your bicep if you just want grip strength, for example.

Yeah my goal is similar to yours, my grip is strong enough to hang around for a while, it's more that i need to strengthen my shoulder girdle and develop the straight arm bicep/elbow strength right at the bottom of the movement so that i don't hurt myself later down the line at the bottom of negatives etc. I guess that hanging will also improve my grip endurance and just get me more comfortable being attached to the bar with just one arm.

I'm not even thinking about one finger yet!! I'd be happy enough with a one arm + one finger on my 2" bar. I suspect that once you get the OAC, doing it with one finger won't be a million times harder if you have strong fingers. On a thinnish bar i have managed a pull-up with just two fingers (my middle finger of each hand), although this did hurt a little, but no lasting soreness. I'm guessing that pull-ups on doorframes would be helpful in building the finger strength, although i'm sure there are sites dedicated to climbing that have lots of info.

One finger would be cool. For now I'm just focusing on getting reps on a normal bar... my first rep was actually done on a thick bar though.

I think doing an OAC on a super thick bar, like a 3'' or 4'' one would be cool too. For the 4'' I might have to cup my hand over it like an armwrestler though.

I'm guessing that one finger can't take TOO much effort. My guess is that once you can 1AC then you can at least take away the pinky and index... maybe not though bc it's just an assumption.

LOL. What if someone got a one arm pinch chin. That would be ridiculous.

According to his facebook, Brad Johnson is working on that one. I forget exactly what he was doing on weighted rafter pullups, but a one-arm rafter chin seems very possible for him right now.

I think he would be the first one to get it? I'm not sure.

That's some crazy grip strength right there.

I've been light my whole life, but I've never been able to dead hang with less than 3 fingers.

I do think doing 1APU with one finger is considerably more difficult than a normal one.

A 3in. bar pull will be great too.

Tentacle grip... I think that it's just a matter of getting your tendons adjusted. Once you've got it... it's not really going away.

I've been doing finger work for a long time, but my tendons haven't been able to adjust to that tension then.

In any case, I think it'll prove extremely difficult.

You can close a no2. I'm sure that you can isometrically hang from a pull up bar by the two strongest fingers on each hand

Two fingers total or each hand?

Just tried, and I can hang for a second with one finger on each hand.

One finger only would be extremely difficult.

I actually meant four fingers total. As in the index and middle finger on both hands. But that's awesome man!!!

Thanks man. Speaking of 1APU though, I've gained 13#s so far this year, which was difficult bc I'm a hardgainer.

My weight:strength ratio has dropped a little bit though, but I think it'll catch up soon, and then some.

There are no hardgainers... only people that don't eat enough calories and don't know it. If you take a daily food log and weight log while increasing the caloric intake gradually, a couple hundred extra calories (100-200cal) a month... you'll gain weight.

I'm thinking back from when I was 145lbs and first started a food log that it was something like 250calories would yield a 12.5lbs increase in 10 weeks. I could be wrong on the time, it could be longer or shorter.