Mms And Tns

Alawadhi

Ben recently said that some people forgot how hard a #2 tns is and I agree. I want to know is there anyone who could mms a #3 and could not tns a #2? Doing a small research here and wanna know the statistics. I also remember when Aaron said when he could mms a #4 he still didn't cert on a #3 because wide sets inflame his knuckles

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

All I can say is I need to train ccs/tns if I want those to improve. If I want mms/20mm to improve, I need to train those.

• Like 1

The two are different beasts. Different dogleg position and the other handle is also placed further to the top of the fingers. My difference between the 2 TNS and 3 MMS is not as big but I can rep a #3 from MMS and not from CCS closing position. Correcting this as I speak. I think here handsize can be a difference, although minor. Basically with TNS the handles are placed to both outer sides of the hand and with MMS more to the centre of the hand where setting becomes a technique on itself. In hindsight I wish wide set work would have been a much bigger staple in my training, in the light of my goal, that is.

• Like 2

Also, just an observation, I remember Sean Dockery and recently two Korean guys closing the 3 during cert like it was nothing, even repping it. Sean did a TNS cert. These guys didn't do much MMS work in training. I saw a vid recently where one of the Korean guys closed an 170 lbs Elite for the first time on vid. So most guys are on 3.3 level MMS app. when certing but having a big MMS close under the hood doesn't nessecarely translate to a strong CCS. I have done a lot of observation and just realised I was overthinking the whole concept of my training.

• Like 2

I'm likely an extreme outlier on the other end of the spectrum.

When I could TNS a 2.5 I was still missing a 152 #3 with a MMS by a large margin and just barely closing a 144 #3 MMS.

When I started grippers 11 years ago I didn't know what a "set" was so I just trained them full range of motion. This made for very slow progress but fairly good TNS strength.

• Like 1

I'm likely an extreme outlier on the other end of the spectrum.

When I could TNS a 2.5 I was still missing a 152 #3 with a MMS by a large margin and just barely closing a 144 #3 MMS.

When I started grippers 11 years ago I didn't know what a "set" was so I just trained them full range of motion. This made for very slow progress but fairly good TNS strength.

I have the same "problem" I can almost TNS my #2.5 now but I can't MMS close my #3. I need to work on my setting strength, thats what stops me.

Actually my setting strength is so bad when I'm using my strong hand so there's barely any difference between my TNS and assisted setting. With my weak hand I can get a much better set because my assisting side is so much stronger. Very frustrating, I'm pretty sure I would close my #3 by now if I had better setting strength.

I had an injury in my right ring finger that screwed up wide set work for a very long time. MMS was ok. so, at the time I may have fallen into the mms a #3 but not tns a #2. years of work and it's cleared up and the difference isn't that big anymore.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the reply. Yeah I know each needs it's own training but I was specifically looking for someone who can mms a 3 but can't tns a 2

What I noticed too is long ago in 2007 I had this strong wide coc 2 sent to me. Slick hands. I could easily tns. Was nowhere near closing a 3 back then. I trained yesterday a bit and to my surprise I closed my 152 coc 3. Took a rest tried to tns that strong 2 buy couldn't. Tried again and still no go. Tried the 3 again mms and was 1mm off. Shock me. Yeah yeah I know I should train my wide set but still it shocked me

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

My TNS power has usually followed closely to my ccs and mms power.

At my peak I could TNS a GHP 6 (older 135 range) and ccs a #3, but I was still a good bit off from an mms close on my elite and mm2 replica. Like by a lot. I think most people in a wide set situation like that would be at mm2 level but I was nowhere near.

• Like 1

One thing that I found that helped is to Grease-the-groove train the wide sets, and then MMS train more specifically on my grip training days. I have some smooth FBBC grippers that now have a really nice patina on them that I GTG with at work. Probably close them for maybe 2-5 reps per hand at most in a day. Some days I skip them entirely. But it's just enough to make small progress. I was able to TNS a 2.5 for the gripboard feats, and I'm hoping a 3 isn't too far off in the distant future.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the reply

• Like 1

Something worth mentioning is that I've met two people who TNS my #2 without any chalk and they had never tried a gripper before.

• Like 1

What were they training before? Weights? Throwing?

• Like 1

One of them has been doing MMA and weightlifting for many years and the other guy is just original strong. He used to lift the back of cars when he was young without training.
  • Like 2

One of them has been doing MMA and weightlifting for many years and the other guy is just original strong. He used to lift the back of cars when he was young without training.

Haha thats nuts, some people are just freaks of nature. I know a guy who could bench 140 kg when he was only 14 years old without much training at all.

• Like 1

Ben recently said that some people forgot how hard a #2 tns is and I agree. I want to know is there anyone who could mms a #3 and could not tns a #2? Doing a small research here and wanna know the statistics. I also remember when Aaron said when he could mms a #4 he still didn't cert on a #3 because wide sets inflame his knuckles

I have seen this in person - a guy who MMS closed a #3, yet was not able to TNS a #2. But in his defense, the #3 was very easy (137lb) and the #2 was very hard. The #2 was old, un-oiled, wide spread, and unrated. But I'd guess it was probably very close to 120lbs. Give the same guy a normal #2 (about 100lbs) and he probably would've destroyed it.

• Like 1

I am MM0 but an just shy of closing my #2 TNS.

Is your #2 on the hard side though? That might account for the discrepancy. And if your hands are shorter than 7.5".

I am MM0 but an just shy of closing my #2 TNS.

Is your #2 on the hard side though? That might account for the discrepancy. And if your hands are shorter than 7.5".

My #2 is 105, my #3 141. My hands are about that size. I'll try to tns it again right now.

Good story Ben.

Electron, thanks for the info and I hope you'll tns your 2 so hard that the handles will break. You have the crush just need little sweep power which RT and blob will help

On the other end of the spectrum there's Aaron Farley, a local guy here who certed on the #3 a few years ago.

I haven't heard anything from him in a few years, but at one point he was no-setting a #3 for 7 reps. He got a beef builder elite and he no set that as well. Then someone sent him a mm3 replica, and he couldn't mms it. Thing is he trained TNS exclusively.

I think the list of guys that can TNS a #3 for 7 reps is pretty short, and populated by guys at the mm6-7 level.

• Like 1