Phonebook Prs...post Them Here

daniel reinard

Been wanting to start a phonebook thread for a while to see what everyone is doing with them. I've been wanting to see some wicked variations of tears. So post up your destruction here. Get creative. Post vids or pics if you want. We can keep the thread ongoing to see who can do the craziest tear.

Some past stuff...

pic of a book in 9ths. I think it was 1046 pages, can't remember. Def under 1100 pages. Was supposed to be 4ths lengthwise but I screwed it up so went 3rds then each piece into thirds. This was tough and endurance related.

photobucket-21413-1336087323150.jpg

This was today. Saw an online challenge. Was already drinking it up because I just got back from the gym. I had to post my entry quickly for the challenge. This was the fattest book I've ripped, then the binding was just a bonus.

Wow!!! You're on a tear!!! :D :D :D

We haven't gotten phonebooks here in some time. I guess I need to call up the phone company and request some.

Isn't their a certaine technique to this which makes it easier? I always though their was a trick to doing this. At least for just tearing a easy one in half not the whole 9ths thing that is ridiculous lol.

Isn't their a certaine technique to this which makes it easier? I always though their was a trick to doing this. At least for just tearing a easy one in half not the whole 9ths thing that is ridiculous lol.

Yes, there is the pop technique. That takes grip out of the equation. For the purpose of the thread, don't do that technique!

Us gripsters do the grip and rip method. Both techniques look different. You can youtube them and see. PaulKnight made a great how to for grip and rip. Definitely check that out.

Martin, the grocery store may have a stack of them too. Just ask the clerk. Let's see some tears.

Clay had a good tutorital on a few different methods as well--don't know if that's still out there.

It looks like a bear attacked that book Daniel!

Nice tear, Daniel!

This is my personal best. It was about 1100 pages. I haven't trained too much in phonebook tearing. I'm pretty sure this doesn't constitute popping, does it?

Clay had a good tutorital on a few different methods as well--don't know if that's still out there.

It looks like a bear attacked that book Daniel!

I got started with Paul's vid. Then Mike Krahling made a vid that was packed full of tiny technique tips that make a different. Def some good watching for tearers.

Nice tear, Daniel!

This is my personal best. It was about 1100 pages. I haven't trained too much in phonebook tearing. I'm pretty sure this doesn't constitute popping, does it?

Good tear man. 1100 pages is a good sized book. It's hard to find ones much bigger than that. Can always stack 2 books. It's quite tough!

I can't tell what 'style' that is. Maybe a variation of popping to be honest? Just by going on how the book tore. Hard to tell. Nonetheless looked tough man.

Dude, that was awesome! And a mini book is deceptively hard, for leverage reasons. That was wicked man.

I think that popping can be useful for people to learn how to make a weakness in the book to attack. I agree though that popping is super easy.

This is a cool thread.

Daniel you really went ape on that book :excl:

Dude ever since you showed me how to do the binding I have been working on it. I love seeing what others are doing so I can up my game too.

This was a quick binding tear. I was at my gym when the manager and worker asked me to show them all sorts of tears.

It surprised me how quickly and off center it was, so I snuck in a 2nd tear. BTW, that's Hans talking smack to his employees. Lol.

Edited by daniel reinard

Been wanting to start a phonebook thread for a while to see what everyone is doing with them. I've been wanting to see some wicked variations of tears. So post up your destruction here. Get creative. Post vids or pics if you want. We can keep the thread ongoing to see who can do the craziest tear.

Daniel, just a question, do you never tear cards?

Not a PR but it won me free grippers so I thought I would post it.

Yes I tear cards on occasion. Nothing huge.

Not a PR but it won me free grippers so I thought I would post it.

Won ya three free CoCs. Pretty sweet challenge. When I saw the challenge there were 4 entries, Nicks was the only grip n rip. And his tear was also the fastest. Lol.

Yes I tear cards on occasion. Nothing huge.

I've never really tried phonebooks, but I've been tearing some cards. What's easiest in general? You can't really cheat when tearing cards, but when tearing phonebooks it seems hard to judge when someone is using that pop technique or not, or am I wrong?

you can tell if they are popping for sure. They will V the book and push in with the index fingers.

Tried a 832 book into 3rds lengthwise then the strips into 4ths. Wow, that was rough. Ran out of gas on the last strip. The binding portion went easy, almost got 5ths out of that. But the other strips were slippery and flexible. The wrists are quite sore from wrestling those pages.

photobucket-4269-1341110359414.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gave a 1432 page book into thirds a go. Was undecided on halves or thirds on the binding so just went for it and let the tear dictate it.

• Like 2

Just tore that same SF book today; first attempt at a book over 1000 pages. No video and all pages minus the front cover :(

IMG_20120722_114651.jpg

• Like 1

nice man! over 1000 pages it really starts to get rough. And once you can tear a decent sized book like that, all the other ones will feel tiny. Most are 900 or so. I'll bet you could 3rds a slightly thinner book. anyways, that's the medley book so looking forward to seeing pages fly during your medley run!

Edited by daniel reinard

• 1 month later...

The lady tore this grip and rip, then tore the binding. Prob a ~700 page book. Not bad for a first tear and being 5'2". She said both tears were easy. :)

294332_512108575471577_776825620_n.jpg

• 3 months later...

Daniel, tearing the book into sections the way you do is very impressive, great work!

Here's my latest tearing; still don't feel proficient form-wise, but improving every week:

The first book is 1192 pgs. (~1.5") and the second is ~1470 pgs.

• Like 1