2014 Az Cactus Grip Comp

acorn

Hey guys I am starting to work out details for next years comp and this thread is to get feedback on event selection.

Current planned date will be 3/15/2014

Possible events considering and looking for feedback

Grippers - Parallel set or 20mm block set

Euro 2HP

2" Saxon Bar Pinch DL

1H Axle DL

50mm Vbar Men, 1.5" Women

Hub lift with new hub device ( to be same dimensions as my Gibson plates, Deeper than IM hub and with integrated Ribs. Also solid mount to loading pin instead of carabiner )

Sledge Choke DL

Also I'm open to considering other events so suggest them if you have something interesting. Lemme know what you think about the events if you are considering attending as well as the fact that you are considering attending so I can start to get a headcount.

Thanks,

Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 5

I'm there!

Personally, from the list above I'd like to see:

Grippers

2HP

1H Axle

For a fourth, I would be up for any others listed there. I suck at hub, but that's my own issue and I will just have to train it harder.

I'm there!

Grippers

2HP

1H Axle

For a fourth, I would be up for any others listed there. I suck at hub, but that's my own issue and I will just have to train it harder.

Cool,

Was considering doing both the Euro and the Saxon. Any opposition to that?

Any preference for the gripper sets?

The way I'm envisioning the hub device I want to build, it will behave more like a regular plate with the solid mount to the loading pin and with the ribs. So may not be too bad.

- Aaron

I'm there!

Grippers

2HP

1H Axle

Cool,

The way I'm envisioning the hub device I want to build, it will behave more like a regular plate with the solid mount to the loading pin and with the ribs. So may not be too bad.

- Aaron

Both pinch would be fine with me. Just do Saxon after 2HP, cuz I'm trying to break into the top 50 on 2HP. :grin:

I've done both parallel & 20mm in comps, and either is fine with me. Maybe 20mm is easier to judge?

I'd also be willing to help out with trophies etc. again this year. We should bounce some ideas around in PM. I have a few new ideas on what we could do.

I am going to try and make this contest for sure

I'm glad its on a saturday since the drive is long-about 10 hours but not much longer then a flight and a lot cheaper- for me and I have to be back by monday

Let me know when to make payment likely my sister will come also

How will you judge the one hand axle deadlift? Personally having done it last time and having to do full lockout while stabilizing it, I didn't like it that much. I like everything else though maybe just the saxon bar though instead of both but both is cool also I want to try the saxon for sure though.

I like the hub, saxon, v bar-want to try this one- sledge hammer and I guess grippers to give me an excuse to work with them again.-plus to see you crush a #4 hah-

Edited by Stephen Ruby

I'm going to try and make it out again for sure.

Events I'd like:

• Parallel set grippers
  • Only one 2HP. I'd like to see the Saxon just because it's something different and there are a few of them around now but I'm fine with the Euro.
  • 1 hand axle or maybe a 2" Crusher due to it being a bit better for smaller hands.
  • Hub
  • Sledge Choke DL - This and the hub could probably be run at the same time even

I'm glad its on a saturday since the drive is long-about 10 hours but not much longer then a flight and a lot cheaper- for me and I have to be back by monday

How will you judge the one hand axle deadlift? Personally having done it last time and having to do full lockout while stabilizing it, I didn't like it that much. I like everything else though maybe just the saxon bar though instead of both but both is cool also I want to try the saxon for sure though.

I like the hub, saxon, v bar-want to try this one- sledge hammer and I guess grippers to give me an excuse to work with them again.-plus to see you crush a #4 hah-

Cool!

1H Axle DL would be lift to above knee level, then return to ground under control. Standard rules on 1H full length bar lifts. Very hard to balance with a hold at the top.

Not even sure I will be competing in this one. All my lifts are way down right now from last comp due to a variety of factors. I haven't trained more than once or twice since the new baby was born in July and have had some health issues that reduced strength levels considerably (nerve related stuff, pinches, back, etc). Closing a #3 is a pretty serious struggle for me at the moment even from MMS RH and #2 LH. Haven't touched the 2HP since last March either. It might be possible for me to get back to decent levels on one of the lifts by the comp, but pretty unlikely.

- Aaron

Events I'd like:

• Parallel set grippers
  • Only one 2HP. I'd like to see the Saxon just because it's something different and there are a few of them around now but I'm fine with the Euro.
  • 1 hand axle or maybe a 2" Crusher due to it being a bit better for smaller hands.
  • Hub
  • Sledge Choke DL - This and the hub could probably be run at the same time even

Maybe we could run the Saxon as an Optional lift at the end. Not to go towards comp scoring but to get marks if the person was interested?

thanks,

Aaron

Cool!

1H Axle DL would be lift to above knee level, then return to ground under control. Standard rules on 1H full length bar lifts. Very hard to balance with a hold at the top.

Not even sure I will be competing in this one. All my lifts are way down right now from last comp due to a variety of factors. I haven't trained more than once or twice since the new baby was born in July and have had some health issues that reduced strength levels considerably (nerve related stuff, pinches, back, etc). Closing a #3 is a pretty serious struggle for me at the moment even from MMS RH and #2 LH. Haven't touched the 2HP since last March either. It might be possible for me to get back to decent levels on one of the lifts by the comp, but pretty unlikely.

- Aaron

Ok that would be a lot better still open to try other one hand thickbar implements.

Ah thats alright best not to push it for sure, health should always be a priority.

I like the line up jason mentioned also. Hub and the hammer deadlift will be fun events and go by quickly.

Cool!

- Aaron

Ok that would be a lot better still open to try other one hand thickbar implements.

Ah thats alright best not to push it for sure, health should always be a priority.

I like the line up jason mentioned also. Hub and the hammer deadlift will be fun events and go by quickly.

I've been considering making some Revolving 1H Handles and tapered Anvil style attachments for my comp loading pin setup too. These would be solid mount to the loading pin like the Hub. It's what we used for last years VBar with the swappable tops. I just don't think I will have time to make these pieces for sure before the comp. The revolving handles would likely be similar to the FBBC ones with solid handles except they would be made of stainless and use sealed bearings. I'll get around to these one of these days.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Events I'd like:

• Parallel set grippers
  • Hub

I probably shouldn't be commenting since I won't be attending the contest, but I really like Jason's idea of switching out the 1 hand axle with a 2" Crusher. Seems like a great alternative and definitely a lot easier to judge.

• Like 1

Events I'd like:

• Parallel set grippers
  • Hub

I probably shouldn't be commenting since I won't be attending the contest, but I really like Jason's idea of switching out the 1 hand axle with a 2" Crusher. Seems like a great alternative and definitely a lot easier to judge.

No worries, its a good idea. I'll consider it. I have both but actually prefer the 1H axle if I had to chose one to do.

I think I have materials for about 4 more 2" Saxons as well. I'll see if I can get those put together incase any one wants one. Also Martin I haven't forgotten about the comp vbar you wanted months ago either. Did some work on that last weekend.

- Aaron

Just want to mention I am a +possible+ for this event, as my sister is moving out there soon. Might make it like a weeklong deal including the weekend for the comp.

If you want my 2 cents about the grippers, I think we should move to block sets for all grippers due to the easiness of judging that the block was actually in there. No deep sets are possible, so it is consistent.

And I think it would be awesome to have both Euro and Saxon.

• Like 4

Just want to mention I am a +possible+ for this event, as my sister is moving out there soon. Might make it like a weeklong deal including the weekend for the comp.

If you want my 2 cents about the grippers, I think we should move to block sets for all grippers due to the easiness of judging that the block was actually in there. No deep sets are possible, so it is consistent.

Would be seriously badass if you could make it out!

Thanks for the input on the grippers and pinch.

- Aaron

I'm there!

Grippers

2HP

1H Axle

Cool,

- Aaron

Both pinch would be fine with me. Just do Saxon after 2HP, cuz I'm trying to break into the top 50 on 2HP. :grin:

I've done both parallel & 20mm in comps, and either is fine with me. Maybe 20mm is easier to judge?

I'd also be willing to help out with trophies etc. again this year. We should bounce some ideas around in PM. I have a few new ideas on what we could do.

Martin, sounds good on the trophies. Looking forward to discussing with you.

- Aaron

The one time I might have a shot of actually contending for 1st place, and all of a sudden Jedd and Stephen come out of the woodwork.

Seriously though this will be kick ass if you guys can make it out!

We may also need to find an AW table for Jason to show us how it's done.

• Like 1

The one time I might have a shot of actually contending for 1st place, and all of a sudden Jedd and Stephen come out of the woodwork.

Seriously though this will be kick ass if you guys can make it out!

We may also need to find an AW table for Jason to show us how it's done.

I've still got lots to learn and lots of specific toughening up to do :grin:

I'll be going for at least a week again. I want to get up around the Phoenix area a bit this trip. Tons to see in their State.

• Like 2

By the way, for folks heading back to Phoenix Saturday PM or Sunday, last year we did dinner at Joe's Farm Grill on Sunday evening with Russ, Daniel, Emily, my sister, my wife, and various offspring. We can play it by ear again this year and arrange on the fly.

Another footnote - Aaron's Saxon bar is 2" x 5" in case anyone was curious.

I have a 2" x 6" section of steel on a loading pin I will be using to simulate assuming that's an event (not exact I know).

You'll probably do a bit better on the Saxon I'm guessing as you'll be able to get a bit more tilt.

For the folks that haven't been to Tucson yet, Aaron's place is chocked full o' grip & bending goodness. You have to see it to believe it.

• Like 1

awesome! unless something crazy comes up, I plan to make this one.

im down for whatever events as well. ill also bring an aw'ing table incase anyone wants to pull afterward.

Hope you can make it!

- Aaron

awesome! unless something crazy comes up, I plan to make this one.

im down for whatever events as well. ill also bring an aw'ing table incase anyone wants to pull afterward.

Awesome count me in for aw'ing and probably bending after the contest

Lot of strong guys hopefully daniel can make it again also.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

The Cactus comp is always a fun time. I might have to sit this year out tho. Just too much travelling already lined up for next year. Y'all tear it up tho!