New York Grip Throw Down Ii

Chez

Congrats to everyone! Cesare, that is freaking crazy strong on the block set close! :zorro:

The Sledge Choke event with the stricter changes sounds very interesting. Was it a 12lb hammer or a 14lber? I skimmed through a few pages to find out what the difference in everyone's best performance with the "old" rules vs. the new setup was.

• Like 1

Had a great time meeting everyone at the competition! Big thanks to Chez for hosting and Andrew for having us all over his house. I'm gonna be training for the King Kong now! :rock

• Like 2

Also, I posted a write-up in my journal, if anyone is interested!

Yeah i feel no matter what you doto prepare there is always something that could be done differently!

Yeah i feel no matter what you doto prepare there is always something that could be done differently!

This was my first grip comp. Chez really did an awesome job running it. Very smooth and we were done by 4. Great supportive atmosphere and Eric, despite winning, was very humble and approachable. Afterward he stayed around to arm wrestle the 7-year-old that was handbalancing all day. That little guy put on the real display of the day, hand stand walking all over the driveway, turning cartwheels and doing kip ups.

Even though I am new to competition, I have to say I like the approach of one handed events as a more pure test of grip strength. This is despite my overall body strength probably being a bit of an asset to me. I think you could get alot of martial artists interested in competition with this approach as opposed to the 2 hand lifts that require more specific strength training.

Also, it was nice as well that only 2 out of the 4 events needed loading and unloading of weight. Having 2 events that ran very quickly was definitely great when we were all exhausted by the last event. Bravo Chez for running a great comp for all levels of athletes! I'll be back for more.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 4

Congrats to everyone! Cesare, that is freaking crazy strong on the block set close! :zorro:

The Sledge Choke event with the stricter changes sounds very interesting. Was it a 12lb hammer or a 14lber? I skimmed through a few pages to find out what the difference in everyone's best performance with the "old" rules vs. the new setup was.

Thankls Ben. We used a 12lb sledge Ben. The best person to use for comparison would be Eric since he has done this event with the traditional rules as well. He had the best lift at 15 inches. At nationals this year they used a 14 lb hammer so you can compare to his performance there.

I'm just really glad everyone had a good time. That is all that matters to me.

Thank you Chez for organizing this fun contest. You ran everything very well. It was also nice to meet so many people and be able to put faces to names.

I was very pleased with my performance. In grippers, I closed a 153, which was a contest PR for me. I knew that I had a shot at closing the next gripper (a 156) based on how my training had been going. I came close, but didn’t quite get it. But still, I can’t complain whenever I manage to hit a competition PR.

For the hub, I hit my all-time PR, with a lift of just over 65 lbs. The texture of the hub was very nice – I was able to get a much better grip than with mine.

For the Rolling Thunder, I was really starting to feel good after a few warm-ups. The handle felt very similar to mine, as well as to the few others I’ve tried. I managed to hit a good sweet spot with the amount of chalk I was using (a little, but not too much). After my second attempt at I think 232.5, I felt really good, so I jumped to 240 and it came up much easier than I expected. For my final attempt, I was debating between 247.5 or 250. It so happened that Chez had plates on hand to arrive exactly at 250. It was too hard to pass up a chance at hitting that magic number, so I went for it. It came up easily enough, but I couldn’t quite show control before I dropped it. 250 had seemed far away for quite some time, but now I know it’s within reach.

As for the sledge, the balancing of the ball forced the lifts to be very strict. I think the ball worked fine in terms of falling off the front when the angle became too large. What I wasn’t expecting was how often it fell off the side, from lifters slightly shaking. They were clearly strong enough to lift the hammer level, so it was disappointing to see them fail due to a bit of shaking. I definitely think tweaking the sledge choke is move in the right direction. I’m just not sure we’ve found the best solution. I agree half-inch increments should be allowed. This would provide a better point spread.

I’ve done the sledge choke in three separate events. The first time I tried it in competition was at the contest Jedd put on last September. It was a 12-lb sledge with a coin on the head. I managed 18 inches. I managed 19” with a 14-lb sledge at the NAGS Championship, but this was only by altering my technique once I realized exactly how much I could tilt the sledge without the coin falling off. At yesterday’s comp, I only managed 15”. This provides an idea of the increased difficulty created by the ball.

As for my win, it was hard fought. I knew it was very close between Chez and me. He beat me by a lot in the grippers, I beat him by a significant margin with the RT. He beat me just slightly with the hub, and I beat him just slightly with the sledge choke. In the end, the margin of my win in the Rolling thunder was just enough to secure the overall victory.

I had fun trying out different things after the contest. I really liked how that Baby Inch felt in my hand. I may eventually buy one because I could use it for a lot of different exercises. It was also fun to do a bit of pulling on the armwrestling table and provide some pointers.

• Like 4

I really liked how that Baby Inch felt in my hand.

Watching you row it for reps after the comp was pretty awesome lol.

• Like 2

Got super busy today guys, I made some preliminary calculations but I want to check them over once more before posting tomorrow. Been running around all day. thanks for your patience.

Edited by Chez

I did a comp. write-up in my log, if anyone wants to check it out. Hands are starting to feel normal again ... might try some grippers today! :grin:

• Like 1

Alright. Been running around like crazy but its time to start entering the scores. Lets start with the competitor weights. I separated the men up into 3 weight class for prize purposes. Light weights are up to 175 lbs, middle weights up 205 lbs and heavy weights over 205 lbs. Amber was the only woman who competed. This seemed the fairest way to award prizes since I can't give a prize for every NAGS weight class. I don't count for prize purposes but my results count for scoring.

Light Weights

Jose Cabrera = 148.15 lbs

Brian Burgos = 159.50 lbs

Anthony Clarino = 171.1 lbs

Andrew O'Leary = 171.9 lbs

Middle Weights

Frank Haak = 187.8 lbs

John Manna = 192.45 lbs

Eric Roussin = 200.5 lbs

Mike Sharkey = 200.75

Heavy Weights

Carl Donati Jr. = 205.30 lbs

Dominick (need to update with his last name) = 210.8 lbs

Anton Torrella = 233.4 lbs

Christopher Andrade = 243.7 lbs

Cesare Ricchezza = 253.5 lbs

Women

Amber Edwards

Grippers

Light Weights

Jose Cabrera = 108.9 lbs Class points = 8.16

Brian Burgos = 128.9 lbs Class points = 9.66

Anthony Clarino = 133.4 lbs Class points = 10

Andrew O'Leary = 112.7 lbs Class points = 8.45

Middle Weights

Frank Haak = 128.9 lbs Class points = 8.42

John Manna = 138 lbs Class points = 9.02

Eric Roussin = 153 lbs Class points = 10

Mike Sharkey = 112.7 lbs Class points = 7.37

Heavy Weights

Carl Donati Jr. = 118.9 lbs Class Points = 6.26

Dominick = 83.3 lbs Class Points = 4.39

Anton Torrella = 108.9 lbs Class Points = 5.74

Christopher Andrade = 93.49 lbs Class Points = 4.92

Cesare Ricchezza = 189.85 lbs Class Points = 10

Women

Amber Edwards = 67.8 lbs

Hub

Light Weights

Jose Cabrera = 57.2 lbs Class points = 9.80

Brian Burgos = 58.35 lbs Class points = 10

Anthony Clarino = 55.1 lbs Class points = 9.44

Andrew O'Leary = 57.6 lbs Class points = 9.87

Middle Weights

Frank Haak = 57.2 lbs Class points = 8.44

John Manna = 67.75 lbs Class points = 10

Eric Roussin = 65.35 lbs Class points = 9.65

Mike Sharkey = 60 lbs Class points = 8.86

Heavy Weights

Carl Donati Jr. = 70 lbs Class Points = 10

Dominick = 42.4 lbs Class Points = 6.06

Anton Torrella = 47.55 lbs Class Points = 6.79

Christopher Andrade = 45.35 lbs Class Points = 6.48

Cesare Ricchezza = 67.75 lbs Class Points = 9.68

Women

Amber Edwards = 45.35 lbs

Rolling Thunder

Light Weights

Jose Cabrera = 125.7 lbs Class points = 7.84

Brian Burgos = 160.35 lbs Class points = 10

Anthony Clarino = 120.6 lbs Class points = 7.52

Andrew O'Leary = 160.35 lbs Class points = 10

Middle Weights

Frank Haak = 149.9 lbs Class points = 6.24

John Manna = 155 lbs Class points = 6.45

Eric Roussin = 240.15 lbs Class points = 10

Mike Sharkey = 135.85 lbs Class points = 5.66

Heavy Weights

Carl Donati Jr. = 130.75 lbs Class Points = 7.26

Dominick = 160.35 lbs Class Points = 8.90

Anton Torrella = 140 lbs Class Points = 7.77

Christopher Andrade = 125.7 lbs Class Points = 6.98

Cesare Ricchezza = 180.15 lbs Class Points = 10

Women

Amber Edwards = 89 lbs

Sledge

Light Weights

Jose Cabrera = 10 Class points = 10

Brian Burgos = 9 Class points = 9

Anthony Clarino = 0 Class points = 0

Andrew O'Leary = 10 Class points = 10

Middle Weights

Frank Haak = 11 Class points = 7.33

John Manna = 9 Class points = 6

Eric Roussin = 15 Class points = 10

Mike Sharkey = 8 Class points = 5.33

Heavy Weights

Carl Donati Jr. = Class Points = 7.14

Dominick = 9 Class Points = 6.43

Anton Torrella = 8 Class Points = 5.71

Christopher Andrade = 10 Class Points = 7.14

Cesare Ricchezza = 14 Class Points = 10

Women

Amber Edwards = 4

Weight Class Rankings

Light Weights

1) Brian Burgos Class points = 38.66

2) Andrew O'Leary Class points = 38.32

3) Jose Cabrera Class point = 35.81

4) Anthony Clarino Class points = 26.96

Middle Weights

1) Eric Roussin Class points = 39.65

2) John Manna Class points = 31.47

3) Frank Haak Class points = 30.44

4) Mike Sharkey Class points = 27.21

Heavy Weights

1) Cesare Ricchezza Class Points = 39.68

2) Carl Donati Jr. Class Points = 30.66

3) Anton Torrella Class Points = 26.01

4) Dominick Class Points = 25.77

5) Christopher Andrade Class Points = 25.52

Women

1) Amber Edwards

I'll get the overall score up tomorrow. I got home late tonight and need to be up early.

Thanks again Chez for getting this comp together. I really appreciate letting me knock out all my sledge lifts to allow me to leave early and not miss a pre-scheduled event. Thanks Also to Andrew for another great venue. I had a great time and was awesome meeting even more Grip guys. These events really help with the motivation and I VERY appreciative of the work that is put in to get these organized.

Grippers

First event always gets me anxious, probably too much for my own good as I missed my first attempt at 128. Locking in 123 felt good to just get something on the board and was finally able to secure the 128 close. Next comp I am shooting for high 130's or 140s.

Hub

Even though this wasn't my best performance I notice a slight change in hand placement for my last lift really helped. 158 isn't too bad but I think I have more in the tank with the new adjustment.

Rolling Thunder

My best event by far pulling 160 so very happy about that. Kind of said this isn't tracked anymore on gripsort. Eric and Chez had some super impressive lifts and it was awesome to see these guys in action.

Sledge

WOW this event seriously almost derailed my chances! First off it's my own fault for being so impatient. I initially practiced this and it felt easy but when it came down to the actual execution it was a different story. You need ALOT of balance and it's very tricky. My first 3 attempts were crap and way too fast. Alot of pressure knowing you didn't lock anything in and on your last lift to be humble or go for it. Decided to go right in the middle and it was enough but if I could do it again I would slow down big time.

The timing for this event couldn't be better and really set the stage for the next big comp, the King Kong Grip Challenge!

• Like 1

This was my first comp, I had a blast! I learned many things, more than anything else, plan your openers and attempts. Everything was smooth as ice. I must say apart from being inspired immensely by all the immpressive lifts and competitors, what struck me most was how supportive everyone was. No one was so competitive that they wouldn't root for each other! I can say I made some new friends, that is always a good thing. Like minded individuals willing to push one another while being supportive when you missed. Chez was strict but fair, a great judge and competitor, monstrous displays of grip strength from him and Eric. I did a pullup on Eric's arm on the table, that man is a beast in strength and personality, no ego from him or Chez what so ever.

• Like 4

I point calibrated my scale for the competition. After reviewing everyone's weight, the only person who was close to a weight class limit was Carl Donati Jr. The weight class limit for the 93 kg class is 205.03 lbs and Carl weighed 205.3 lbs on my scale, but my scale weighs heavy. I placed 204.95 lbs (closest I could get to 205.03 without going over) of postal scaled weight on my scale before the competition and it weighed 205.5 lbs on my scale. Therefore 205.5 lbs is the 93 KG limit with my scale. Therefore, Carl made weight for the 93 kg class.

Carl - I will make sure you get recognition for your hub lift in the 93 KG class.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1