Pull-up Challenge

EricMilfeld

I don't know which is more amazing - his one arm pull-up ability (very strict reps), or the fact that he is out there in the snow with only a pair of pants and barefoot. :bow

• Like 1

I'm fine with people sharing vids of friends, clients, etc. doing strict pull-ups with weight. But Florian, I would much rather see a vid of you doing pull-ups than that guy doing muscles ups. Chad Woodall speaks very highly of your strength on the Grip Strength Radio.

Regarding hanging from one arm to rest/re-position - I'm not sure that it is humanly possible to hit higher numbers without a hanging rest.

I'm doing chins as a part of my hand and arm training on free (thick) bars in my current training routine and will probably post a video in the upcoming weeks.

What do you mean with "higher numbers", that you think may not be possible without a hanging rest?

This guy is displaying awesome strength. His haircut keeps making me think about the bad guy in Die Hard, which makes him even more incredible :grin:

Any of you got the same the amazing improvement training on rings and going to a fixed bar afterward? Let's say you do 50 lbs on the rings, you can easily do 90 on a bar.

Another great carry over is One arm hold in various height. Seems like they improve really well 2 hand weighted pull-ups without training them.

I'm fine with people sharing vids of friends, clients, etc. doing strict pull-ups with weight. But Florian, I would much rather see a vid of you doing pull-ups than that guy doing muscles ups. Chad Woodall speaks very highly of your strength on the Grip Strength Radio.

Regarding hanging from one arm to rest/re-position - I'm not sure that it is humanly possible to hit higher numbers without a hanging rest.

I'm doing chins as a part of my hand and arm training on free (thick) bars in my current training routine and will probably post a video in the upcoming weeks.

What do you mean with "higher numbers", that you think may not be possible without a hanging rest?

I just think that if one is targeting say 100 reps, that it would be very hard (maybe impossible?) to do that consecutively, unless one was a very light bodyweight. Since the pull-up takes quite a bit of metabolic effort, it seems one would need to allow the lats to recover periodically. You're right, it's just my speculation.

This guy is displaying awesome strength. His haircut keeps making me think about the bad guy in Die Hard, which makes him even more incredible :grin:

So that's why he didn't die when John Mclain hung him from by his neck! He pulled himself up with one arm (strict off course, no kipping) and then he untied the chain with the other hand!!!

• Like 1

Hahaha, so that is finally the answer we have all been looking for ever since Die Hard! That is how he saved himself and appeared later. Everyone who ever saw that film has asked himself/herself "how was that blond guy alive after that???", and that question has kept us awake for many nights. Now we know.... :D

Cool challenge, I'll join. Tried out weighted pull ups tonight. I've done quite a bit of weighted chin ups, but rarely pull ups. Got very close to 300 total, but couldn't get the chin over the bar.

• Like 1

... and that's always the hardest part of them. At times I mix in reverse push-ups (horizontal pull-ups) and heavy rows into my program just to try to boost the finish.

• 3 weeks later...
More "off topic" :whistel I

I cant hold myself because Finnish Viking is so marvelous! :laugh

I was bitching and moaning to myself the other day about how I had no heat nor electricity in my new warehouse gym with a pull down door. Looks like I'm off to begin tempering again... tell him that I give him my respects

• Like 1

Yori, Great Pull-up Work!!!! :mosher

You've been training for the one hand pull-up too right?

It would be good to get a camera angle which shows your chin relative to the bar.

I think Eric and/or Jedd wanted to see everything on a bathroom scale.

Your camerawoman sounds cute. :whistel

It would be good to get a camera angle which shows your chin relative to the bar.

Yes, exactly. With the final little bit of the pull-up being the most difficult, that's the most important part to catch on video. And that's a lot of additional weight for a guy your size!

Eric, roger on the bathroom scale.

As for the chin clearing the bar, I'll try to get that from the side too.

You've been training for the one hand pull-up too right?

Your camerawoman sounds cute. :whistel

Yes, that's correct Martin! I usually don't train pull ups weighted (I prefer neutral chins) but the transfer happened pretty quickly.

Thanks for the advise.

The challenge with those split bars, is it's hard to judge sometimes. I think I have been robbed of a rep or two on the TSC pull-ups cuz at that facility, the only have a split bar my height. But, if that's what ya got, that's what ya got. The nice thing about those for training, is you don't accidentally ram your throat into the bar. I've done that a couple times, and it's most unsettling.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I took into account the suggestions I received from my last video, and here's an updated PR.

My chin clearing the bar was a bit hard to see, but keep in mind that it's at a tilted angle. You can judge for yourself though.

BW127+79lbs Weighted Pull Up

Getting closer to my goal of 100#s weighted!

Edited by TentacleGrip

Thanks Tom!

Did you gain more weight broski? I thought that I remembered you doing a one arm chin for a single already? I could be mistaken though.

Nice work man! Are you going to try and join the 300lbs pullers club this year?

My weight's stayed constant. I've pulled a single one arm rep with 0 lbs assist, but still had my other arm in the assist position. Didn't quite count.

I'd like to be able to pull a 250 lbs pull up this year! Thanks for the interest man. :grin:

Okay, so I took into account the suggestions I received from my last video, and here's an updated PR.

My chin clearing the bar was a bit hard to see, but keep in mind that it's at a tilted angle. You can judge for yourself though.

BW127+79lbs Weighted Pull Up

Getting closer to my goal of 100#s weighted!

Killed it! Awesome job man. I'm getting back into this race myself. Hope to have a submission for the 250lb club today.

Here it is, My submission into the 250lb club! Current height is 6ft, Current weight in the video is 153.8, but the weight on the scale with the weights came in at 155.8. I strapped 4x25lb plates to the belt and made my attempt. Other quick notes, my workout area is my basement with short ceilings so I hope you're able to clearly see me clear the bar and the dead hang position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1gW88ao0qM&feature=youtu.be

Eric am I officially in the 250lb club now?

Oh and sorry for the loud music guys, for my max attempts I always have to get pumped up.

Dude that's some skinny-strong madness right there. If you're 6ft and 153lbs, I'm guessing bodyfat is pretty dang low. Well done.

Dude that's some skinny-strong madness right there. If you're 6ft and 153lbs, I'm guessing bodyfat is pretty dang low. Well done.

Thanks bro! I use to walk around in the 170's and didn't feel as strong as I do now in the low 150's. I've also been experimenting with pullups every day to see how my body would react. I don't go to failure, just about 20 or so to get myself conditioned. Has proved very helpful in getting stronger with pullups.