International King Kong Grip Challenge - October 19th 2013

Eric Roussin

Guys, the One Hand Deadlift with a barbell is a very old lift, and in fact one of the first to have official rules written back in the early 1900s. These rules were part of the BAWLA rules, and later all of weightlifting took the rules on board.

These are also the IAWA All-Round Weightlifting rules.

Now just because you are using a thick-bar here, it is no reason to be different.

There really is no need to have non paused lifts, where the barbell comes up at all kinds of angles and the lift is passed.

Keeping the barbell balanced is part of the lift!

Test this out and you will see what I mean.

• Like 1

Yes, I trained this event Wednesday. Absolute pain in the ass.

I hope Eric puts a video out of demonstrations of lifts as far as what will be required like David has always done. Otherwise, "versions of legal lifts" will be springing up everywhere, especially for this event.

If it needs to be pulled to lockout, it cant be done straddled. It MUST be in front. There's just no other way unless you have extremely long arms, as far as I can tell.

The last thing you want is 5 out of the 6 locations being really strict and then the 6th location is not and videos get out there and you begin seeing a bunch of lifts that were called good that did not meet the rest of the lifts' quality that took place elsewhere.

I understand the importance of clarity when it comes to event rules for all of the reasons that have been cited. I'm currently away on vacation, put plan to work on a video upon my return.

• Like 1

Enjoy your vacation, Eric!

GripMonsters will arrange official 2 Hands Euro Pinch Finnish Championships 2013. It includes at International King Kong Grip Challenge Competition.

http://www.gripmonsters.fi/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1374399480&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

• Like 2

Michael Sheehan has agreed to come aboard and host this event in Boston. It's looking like there will be a great turnout for the contest!

Igor Kupinckiy (kashtan) has agreed to host this event in Ukraine! Thanks Igor!

• Like 1

Igor Kupinckiy (kashtan) has agreed to host this event in Ukraine! Thanks Igor!

For me it is a great honor, Eric! In a heartbeat!

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to posting a video (if necessary) I want to nail down the rules. After giving it some thought, I'm leaning towards the following:

One Hand Pinch Lift - Rules taken from David Horne's site - the same ones that will be used at Gripmas. (Plus an exception for those who can't lift the empty device.)

This is the same as the two hands version, except it is with one hand. The loading bar can and no doubt will hit your leg at some point, this is fine. The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different hand sizes, but to keep it within the spirit of a pinch lift the minimum width allowed is the 2 outer steel discs and 2 rubber spacer discs, a width of 24mm. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The smooth-sided, adjustable-width disc is held on a 2” thick metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weights will be added to the outsides. The top of this is grasped with an overhand pinch grip and lifted until the end of the bar touches a horizontal bar placed at 16.5”, measured from the underside of the bar to the floor. There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control. If the outer discs accidentally touch the bar before the bar itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed.

Additional equipment rules:
1. The apparatus has to be loaded with the same number of discs on each side, in the same order, and has to weigh the same (max 1k tolerance between the total weight of the weights at the front, and weights at the rear).
2. The heaviest discs should be loaded nearest to the adjustable pinch discs themselves.
3. The spacer/collars that hold the inside adjustable discs together should be the same length.
4. The discs added should be smaller in height than the adjustable discs you grasp, so that the view of the lifter’s hands is not totally obscured, and the lift starts from the proper height.

If the competitor cannot lift the empty apparatus with one hand, a two-hand lift may be performed. The weight lifted will be divided by two, and this number must not exceed the base weight of the empty apparatus.

One Hand Axle Deadlift - Rules taken from David Horne's site - the same ones that will be used at Gripmas.

The bar may either be raised in front of the lifter, or the lifter may straddle the bar. Hook gripping is not permitted. The free hand may be used to brace against the opposing leg. Foot spacing is optional, but may not change once the lift begins. Heels and toes may rise. The bar must be raised to a point where both ends of the bar are pulled to a height of mid knees or above and the legs must be straightened. The shoulders do not have to be pulled erect, nor the body straight as long as the legs are straight and the bar motionless with both ends above the knee joint. The lift ends with the referee's signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

IronMind Hub - Combination of IronMind and David Horne's Shallow Hub rules. I think the main point is we want to avoid a v-bar type of grip. The test should be whether or not you could lift an actual plate by the hub using the grip.

Only the Hub is to be grasped. To keep this lift within the spirit of the Hub Lift, the thumb, index and middle fingers must grasp it in a proper ‘claw’ style. The other two fingers may oppose, or not be on at all. These are the fingers that grasp slightly slanted. The device must be lifted to lock-out, which will be demonstrated by complete extension and a finished lift. Part of this is showing control at the top—that's what will trigger the referee's down signal. Athletes must await referee’s down signal before returning the device back to the platform all the while maintaining the grip/contact with hub.

Little Big Horn - IronMind rules, with added clarification based on Randall's comments.

Athletes must grip the Little Big Horn as you would grip the horn of an anvil. The device must be lifted to lock-out, which will be demonstrated by complete extension and a finished lift. Part of this is showing control at the top—that's what will trigger the referee's down signal. The device must be returned back to the platform all the while maintaining the grip/contact with horn.

One thing that is missing from three of the lifts is what can be done with the free hand? Should bracing against the leg be allowed? Do any other clarifications need to be made, or is everyone fine with these rules?

• 3 weeks later...

The rules in the previous post are the ones that will be used. Bracing with the off hand will only be allowed for the one-hand axle deadlift.

FYI California competitors, Oct 3rd 6pm at Diablo Rock Gym we'll hold an open grip training session that will have the contest implements available. Stop by to get in a few tips and lifts before the Oct 19th contest!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

"The bar must be raised to a point where both ends of the bar are pulled to a height of mid knees or above and the legs must be straightened. The shoulders do not have to be pulled erect, nor the body straight as long as the legs are straight and the bar motionless with both ends above the knee joint."

I do not envy the judges on this one.

Just out of curiousity, could we get a head count of how many competitors per location and weight class? Really looking forward to this comp as I wasn't able to attend Nationals.

We'll be hosting at Greg Gorecki's house in Hinckley. Here is the address:

275 Valley Brook Blvd.

Hinckley, OH 44233

80s rock will be blasting all day.

We hope to have 10+ competitors, bodyweights will be all over, with lots of new guys.

I expect at least 50 people to compete in this contest worldwide, across all weight classes. I can't really provide specifics, as I think most promoters aren't doing advance registration.

These are the final 8 confirmed venues (a couple of promoters had to pull out):

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - Eric Roussin
  • Detroit, Michigan, USA - Andrew Pantke
  • Westchester, New York, USA - Cesare Ricchezza
  • Hinkley, Ohio, USA - Brandon Gerber/Andrew Durniat
  • Concord, California, USA – Daniel Reinard
  • Moscow, Russia - Ivan Beritashvili
  • Ukraine – Igor Kupinckiy
  • Finland – Juha Harju

It's going to be a fun contest!

• Like 3

Just a reminder that prizes will be awarded as follows:

• Medals for the top 5 overall finishers
  • Medals for the top performance in each event
  • Medals for the top overall performance in each weight class
  • Like 1

Details for the Detroit Leg

Time:

Weight in will start at 9am and lifting will start at 11am.

My location is a garage gym, similar to the way Chris Rice set up his gym. I would recommend bringing a lawn chair, as seating is limited. The gym tends to follow the outside temperature, so dress for anything. Drinks and lunch will be provided. We will also be running a 5th event, a block weight medley to a platform. This is for fun and practice for the Michigan Grip Companionship. If you have any questions feel free to call, PM, or email me.

Address

19820 Merriman Road

Romulus MI

Cell (517) 294-1447

awpantke@mtu.edu

• Like 1

Start time for the Ottawa venue is 11am. Free pizza and pop for all who attend. Free armwrestling training/practice following the contest as well.

yLy0svi.jpg

Saw the picture looking up the address for the gym again this weekend. Thought it was cool.

Good luck to everyone it should be a fun day. Hope everyone sets new prs.

• Like 3

Take note of this everyone. I just noticed it:

From Eric.

The rules in the previous post are the ones that will be used. Bracing with the off hand will only be allowed for the one-hand axle deadlift.
  • Like 2

Thanks Jedd. The promoters will also be going over the rules prior to the contest start.

• Like 1