Two Questions........arm Wrestlers Hand Strength, Single Hand Axle Dea

1stCoC

After watching the TV arm wrestling series last night they seem to be well trained and powerful more than just by working the actual movement. Are they good at grippers( how many CoCs are certified with arm wrestling as a major sport) any one tested their Dyno strength??????

My second is after watching Andrew and Mike haul the 3 inch handled 202 lb. 3" handle Circus Bell up what Is the best a mark listed non hook grip deadlift a smaller 2" axle placed to the side or front of the lifter( not between legs?) the off hand may be placed on the opposite side leg's thigh. Just wondering. Can anyone do 300...............?

The most impressive gripper performance I've seen by an AW was when Nick Zinna came to our National Qualifier in KC and CCS a 3.5 while sitting on the couch. He was far from fresh as he'd played with almost every gripper there, messed with the pinch some, and played with several thick handled dbs. He also mentioned (when he first walked in) that he had done his RT workout the night before. IMO guys that are good on grippers have a good base level of handstrength going into the sport although the crush movement has nothing to do with AW. To clarify, guys that are good on grippers seem to develop the flat finger pressure very quickly and then people start talking about how strong their hand is.

I would say most armwrestlers have better crushing strength than average, but few have CoC level crushing strength. This type of strength just doesn't really come into play very much in armwrestling.

Lots of armwrestlers have good wrist flexion strength. I've actually seen more armrwestlers lift the Inch dumbbell with their thumb on the same side as their fingers, than using a traditional grip!

The biggest weight I've heard of for a one-hand axle deadlift is 250 lbs, by Andrew Durniat.

I've gotten a bit of air with 233 lbs, but far from a full lift. (I'm an armwrestler.)

I had 3 AW guys show up at Gripmas last year with Bob Sundin. Darn guys were strong all over but wrist strength is what I was most impressed with - excellent sledge hammer numbers all around but needed some specific skill work for other events - as a group they seem to have a huge head start on Grip Sport numbers over the average guy who just lifts weights.

To answer the axle question, did none of you guys saw Chris James recent video of his 140kg attempt on an axle, one-handed? He almost got it, but missed indeed. That's about 309 in pounds. Here is the video.

Nick Zinna is on the show and his CCS of the #3.5 while seated is still in Youtube and VERY impressive. Here is the video, I think Josh Dale is narrating.

• Like 3

I saw that Nick Zinna video right when I started training grippers almost two years ago. Being a newbie, I thought the 3.5 must not be as hard as I originally thought. LOL. To see someone do that so effortlessly, while sitting down, after a taxing workout is just an unreal level of strength. I have always thought that video is in the top 5 all time for gripper closes.

I also have to add that I met Nick last year at an AW comp and he is one of the most awesome people you will ever be around. True country-boy strength. If I am not mistaken, he said that he farms for a living when the seasons allow. No one even came close to touching him at that comp and he said that he had not trained seriously for AW in a couple of years. Unreal.

Hello Rich,

I agree with what Josh and Eric said and I would add that a lot of the hand-strength that is acquired is through what armwrestlers call containment. An example would be attempting to hold another puller in the center of the table while he is rotating (pronating/toprolling) and pulling hard against your ring and pinky fingers (since these are usually the weakest links). Also (this is more of my opinion) doing thick-handled work (2-inches is best) as well as pull-ups on a beam tend to develop the cupping or flat-finger pressure that armwrestlers use. Unlike some pullers, I am not against grippers as I believe my hands developed a lot of thickness from training with them.

Great replies. Chris James is just totally amazing. Big Rich mentioned a pull in the 260s a few weeks ago in training and that man and Andrew have super claws......for James even trying the 309 puts him in a class alone!

• Like 1

Not to mention that, if his grip had been a better centered and the bar hadn't tipped like that, Chris looks like he would have had that lift.

• Like 1

Seemed to be like a easy attempt. I wish I could see him in action! A great one of our time.

Alexey wrist curls 130 kg
biceps curls 90 kg and static hold 237
biceps curls with barbell two hand 140 kg full range of movement

Max wrist curl ...130 Kg.
Max. Bench ... around 200 Kg for reps
Max biceps curl ... 165 Kg.
Max one hand isometric hold ... 237 Kg for several seconds.

Edited by Sam Scott

Are there and youtube videos of Alex lifting?He seems like a cobra like powerhouse! Where and when will the next World arm wrestling championships going on.? I think I have to attend.

This year's WAF World Championships will be held in Vilnius, Lithuania, between September 14th and 22nd. Unfortunately, a number of top ranked super-heavyweights do not generally compete in this event.

It might be worth mentioning that Ioan Puscasu has failed a #4 cert at least once (but possibly twice, I am not sure), but he takes the #4 with a CCS set very far. And his #3.5 certification seemed VERY easy on video. I only mention it because he is an armwrestler.

• Like 1

Agreed with James R. About the containment strength... we also did a lot of thick grip pull ups as well as pull ups on 2x4! That develops flat-finger pressure like no other imo!

Our wrist our usually our strong suite because of all the stress it receives while pulling (AWing)

If you lose your hand in a match its usually over... strong wrist allows you to keep your hand in position weather it be a hook or toproll to win the match.

• Like 1

The Ultimate Armwrestling League (www.theual.com) and the newly-formed World Armwrestling League (www.walunderground.com) each put on a few events each year which attract high calibre competition. However, the events don't fall on set dates each year.

In terms of long-standing annual events that attract amazing talent each year, the Mike Gould Classic is definitely one of the biggest in North America. It's held in Toronto and is taking place less than two weeks from now. The pro classes are being run on Sunday, March 30th. Many of the Game of Arms cast members have competed in this tournament over the years, including Travis Bagent, Dave Chaffee, and Mike Selearis. It looks like this year's tournament may be the biggest yet. Full details can be found here: http://www.northeastboard.com/thread/28307/march-2014-mike-gould-classic .

I've been wondering alot about some of these AW guys and how well they would be with short steel bending. With all their strong wrist strength I would bet they could have some very impressive bends in Reverse and Double Underhand style. I know it's alot less popular than grippers but anyone know of any vids of any of these guys bending?

Martin I'm a former armwrestler & I absolutely love bending. You could say I took to it like a duck to water! After tweaking my technique & some coaching help from Nate Brous and Mike Sharky I bent the Red nail in fairly short order.... armwrestling definitely helped my bending strength & I'm not too bad with sledgehammers either! ;-)

• Like 1

Michael Todd of Arkansas is the top ranked American heavweight (2nd in the world), with Dave Chaffee of Pennsylvania right behind (3rd in the world). Dave Chaffee is currently appearing in "Game of Arms". He's part of Team Erie.