Fingertip Strengthening

hellswindstaff

Okay so here is the deal. I've noticed that there isn't a lot out there about fingertip strengthening. So I'm attempting to create a list and any input would be appeciated. Here goes what I have so far: fingertip pushups, hanging from doorframes by the tips, hub lifting, plate curling... Anything else anyone?

Okay so here is the deal. I've noticed that there isn't a lot out there about fingertip strengthening. So I'm attempting to create a list and any input would be appeciated. Here goes what I have so far: fingertip pushups, hanging from doorframes by the tips, hub lifting, plate curling... Anything else anyone?

stiff finger time hold

http://youtu.be/nSi3k17nfUc

wolverine push up

Edited by BionicMan2K&Beyond...

stiff finger time hold

wolverine push up

http://youtu.be/Ov_nQ3O9g50

Edited by BionicMan2K&Beyond...

Bionicman the Wolverine pushup kind of looks like a crane hand[kung fu]... am I correct in saying that.

One thing that really helped my fingertip strength as a former competitive arm wrestler

was to purchase 10 balls of Silly Putty to make one BIG ball and then squeeze the SP

with my fingertips extended in a crush type movement.

Worked really well and I did it daily everywhere I went. Especially driving down the road.

Bionicman the Wolverine pushup kind of looks like a crane hand[kung fu]... am I correct in saying that.

Somewat! I dont used my thumb doe.Like my hands in a hook like style.

Joe, I'm not an arm wrestler but how do the tips help in the game? What do you think about sand, mud, or pebbles?

Bionicman, sounds excruciating but I bet your pinky is the size of my thumb. I'm going to try and hit a one arm fingertip pushup (that's a loooong way off though). However, the middle joint of my middle finger is almost always automatically crimping when I'm beyond anything but a wall... it's annoying.

Joe, I'm not an arm wrestler but how do the tips help in the game? What do you think about sand, mud, or pebbles?

Bionicman, sounds excruciating but I bet your pinky is the size of my thumb. I'm going to try and hit a one arm fingertip pushup (that's a loooong way off though). However, the middle joint of my middle finger is almost always automatically crimping when I'm beyond anything but a wall... it's annoying.

Nope! I have little fingers. lol Just start slow,then slowly start taking away your fingers .So you into rockclimbing?

Nah... Kung fu my man! Everyone always wants to talk about pressure points but they dont realize that you have to have the ability to put PRESSURE on the points for them to actually be effective.

Nah... Kung fu my man! Everyone always wants to talk about pressure points but they dont realize that you have to have the ability to put PRESSURE on the points for them to actually be effective.

You do need to have strong finger tips ,to be effective.

I used to idolize the old kung fu movies when I was a kid.I like the way,they used to train.

I add a bit of there training in my arsenal.So, what type of kung fu you do?

I've previously done muay thai, wing chun, and cross trained with a few people that studied different arts. However, now I just do freestyle but I'm considering starting in systema. Assuming that time from school and finances allows it. What about you?

I've previously done muay thai, wing chun, and cross trained with a few people that studied different arts. However, now I just do freestyle but I'm considering starting in systema. Assuming that time from school and finances allows it. What about you?

I did karate and took up boxing as a kid.I'm thinking about getting back into the martial arts again.Since I have work on

enhancing my phyiscal abilities.I got some demostrations to display.I would like to take up Krav Maga.

Did you do traditional karate? Traditional karate masters are SCARY!

What demonstrations are you getting ready for?

Did you do traditional karate? Traditional karate masters are SCARY!

What demonstrations are you getting ready for?

yep! didnt like karate doe. been working on some stuff i adopt from parkour called the cat balances.i took it to another level.balancing on a chain ,that linked up

on 2 poles.where i get on it,it would swing,so you have to have body control for real.plus speed demo by throwing jab,cross,uppercut and hooks.they lightning quick as fars as my jabs and cross...dont know my speed with uppercut and hook. they short and mid range strikes.so they should be a bit faster. i train with dumbells for my speed and do alot of advance plyometrics.

If you haven't ever read it, then you may be interested in Westside book of Methods and also Mel Siff Supertraining... both books are amazing!

If you haven't ever read it, then you may be interested in Westside book of Methods and also Mel Siff Supertraining... both books are amazing!

Well, I'm going to check them out when I get the time.So how your finger training coming along?

Well... I'm up to 25lbs on the TTK, coming closer on shutting the CoC#3, and I can hub lift 35lbs. Those are the movements that I'm practicing right now. In about two weeks I'm going to switch to plate curls, levering, TTK, and the fingertip pushups on the back of my fingertips to work my extensors. Ill see how that goes. What about yours?

Well... I'm up to 25lbs on the TTK, coming closer on shutting the CoC#3, and I can hub lift 35lbs. Those are the movements that I'm practicing right now. In about two weeks I'm going to switch to plate curls, levering, TTK, and the fingertip pushups on the back of my fingertips to work my extensors. Ill see how that goes. What about yours?

Seem like good numbers?!levering is good! I like the front weaver stick lift.That king of levering.Plate curl is cool! I like doing them in wrist curling style.I do alot of advance bodyweight exercises and some grip training.i used this big thick concrete brick for pinch grip.plus isometric training.

I'm trying to master the one arm pullup. If you've accomplished that, do you have any tips?

Well, how many pull ups can you do? One arm aint hard as they look.But you do need to be able to do

alot of pull ups in reps to get to doing the one arm.

Well, how many pull ups can you do? One arm aint hard as they look.But you do need to be able to do

Yes they are still pretty hard most of the time as the normal rep range would be around 40 or around +100%bodyweight. Like getting your first time squat from 300 to 600 pounds.

Yes they are still pretty hard most of the time as the normal rep range would be around 40 or around +100%bodyweight. Like getting your first time squat from 300 to 600 pounds.

You right! If you could do 40 ,you should be able to do a few one arm pull ups.

I didn't think getting to a one arm was that bad. When I first did one each arm I was about 26 or so for normal reps. And weight wise was maybe 100# for one or 2 reps. I think the key was training offset pullups or pullups where you were in position for the one arm but you slightly helped pull up with the other arm. Using only one finger really helps because you can't load it too much so your one arm has to really try and take the full load.

As far as fingertip training goes I did a lot of fingerboard or hangboard work for climbing. That stresses the tendons a ton and really stiffens them up so you can apply max power down to the fingertip. Look up hangboards for climbing. A good one can be found at Sports Chalet or the likes. You do have to be careful though as the stress can be rediculous on the tendons so only train once every 2-3 days and no big finger stresses in between either. And no need to work until failure. Tendon strengthening is much different than muscles. It only takes a solid 10-15 minutes of pullups and hangs on the hangboard every few days and you'll notice you the difference. The best part is you can practice one arm pullups at the exact same time as the finger strengthening! I did. BTW, I think strong tendons really help on wide pinches like blob lifts by the face.

I didn't think getting to a one arm was that bad. When I first did one each arm I was about 26 or so for normal reps. And weight wise was maybe 100# for one or 2 reps. I think the key was training offset pullups or pullups where you were in position for the one arm but you slightly helped pull up with the other arm. Using only one finger really helps because you can't load it too much so your one arm has to really try and take the full load.

As far as fingertip training goes I did a lot of fingerboard or hangboard work for climbing. That stresses the tendons a ton and really stiffens them up so you can apply max power down to the fingertip. Look up hangboards for climbing. A good one can be found at Sports Chalet or the likes. You do have to be careful though as the stress can be rediculous on the tendons so only train once every 2-3 days and no big finger stresses in between either. And no need to work until failure. Tendon strengthening is much different than muscles. It only takes a solid 10-15 minutes of pullups and hangs on the hangboard every few days and you'll notice you the difference. The best part is you can practice one arm pullups at the exact same time as the finger strengthening! I did. BTW, I think strong tendons really help on wide pinches like blob lifts by the face.

So, How old are you now?Ligament&tendons strengthen is key!

So, How old are you now?Ligament&tendons strengthen is key!

I meant 26 reps or so. I might have been 26 yrs at the time too.

Edited by daniel reinard