Axle Deadlift Training

Tom Scibelli

Does any body have any suggestions how to incorporate axle deadlifting into a training program. I don't know if I should just do them on the same day I do regular bar deadlifts, as supplement, or just replace my regular bar deadlifts with axle deadlifts all together. I think I'll lose a lot of my regular bar deadlift progress if I do that but it might be worth it.

Use an axle for everything, seriously. I've done that for the last few months and it has helped alot. And don't worry about losing barbell progress, I PR after axle cycle use. Just go mixed grip and do your normal workout when you can't use the DO grip anymore. I use the axle for 95% of my deadlifting, except when going for a barbell PR. And I use it for squats, bench, curls, wrist work, everything. I made all my implements thickbar sized for when I can't use the axle. The axle has really helped my deadlift, particularly from the floor. My floor power and overall speed have greatly improved, and my technique off the floor is way better.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

When I was training the Axil hard I would use it for my regular deadlifting days, I would start DO and usually finish mixed grip. My main focus would be on increasing the DO lift though.

Parris

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

I am doing pretty much the exact thing Daniel described, unless you're a competitive powerlifter or strongman competitor, who cares? Axle deads are the poop.

+1 what everybody else said. Only thing I would add is work the thick bar in slowly, so as to allow the forearms to adjust to the increasing load. Also consider assistance exercises to combat tendinitis - plate wrist curls, plate curls, formulator, sledge, etc. Don't have to go crazy with the assistance stuff, but it helps to keep things balanced.

• Like 2

I've been using the Axil as a warm-up for my regular deadlifts with some good success the last 3 months. I'll start with the axil double overhand with the 5-3-1 program then strip the bar down and load up the Olympic bar and keep going. If my grip is fried after the axil I’ll use straps on the o-bar deadlifts.

Example:

Axil
Warm-up

5x240

3x270

1x305

Switch to O-bar

5x300

3x340

1x380

I've been using the Axil as a warm-up for my regular deadlifts with some good success the last 3 months. I'll start with the axil double overhand with the 5-3-1 program then strip the bar down and load up the Olympic bar and keep going. If my grip is fried after the axil I’ll use straps on the o-bar deadlifts.

Example:

Axil

Warm-up

5x240

3x270

1x305

Switch to O-bar

5x300

3x340

1x380

This is almost exactly what I'm doing now too.

I am doing the 531 and I started this cycle doing my work sets with an OLY bar and then my 5 sets of 10 @ 50% with the axle.

warm-up

5,5,5+ - oly

5x10 @ 50% axle