Finished My Calibration Rig And Tested Some Steel

Tim71

Historically, they've hit as low as 400 and as high as 460 so to pinpoint what your's may be would be impossible. Seems like they get a new batch every several months.

With a setup like that it also seems that with some changes you could also rate grippers really accurately.

I've designed an attachment for that as a possibility but right now it's not a top priority.

Thanks.

Manthos,

No I haven't but years ago 3/8 by 7 inch HRS hit 445 pounds so I'm sure the 10mm would be higher than that.

Couple more:

Drill rod all O-1.

19/64 365

N 410

5/16 442.5

P 440.5 - major disappointment.

i really like the idea of this rig. i wonder how close the numbers would be from the same stick using your rig vs the traditional pully/weight system. i would think it would vary depending on how fast you crank and how fast you pull

Manthos,

No I haven't but years ago 3/8 by 7 inch HRS hit 445 pounds so I'm sure the 10mm would be higher than that.

Thanks Tim.

i really like the idea of this rig. i wonder how close the numbers would be from the same stick using your rig vs the traditional pully/weight system. i would think it would vary depending on how fast you crank and how fast you pull

Spot on my friend and I have tested that, which is precisely why it takes me so long to calibrate. I keep pausing to simulate stopping to put more plates on. One time even rushing just a little took 15 pounds off a 515 pound bar.

I've still got a decent amount of stuff that Eric calibrated for me way back when and everything has been spot on other than adjusting the chain length which was making a noticable difference on the 8 3/8 inch stuff. On the 7 inch stuff if took the reds from 450 to 435 and the 6 inch stuff stayed the same.

Same way with the weights. If you take a bar that calibrates and 400 pounds by working up 5 pounds at a time then you take a second piece and put 395 pounds of plates on the pin at the very begining, it will probably smoke right past 30 degrees. I think Eric even experienced something similiar to that years ago with a nail I sent him.

Thanks

I wonder what automotive pushrods are made of and what they would cal at? They are about the right size lol

I imagine those are pretty hard and when they got to a certain point they might snap. I've bent a wrench DO one time and it snapped and scratched the crap out of my neck, so no more hardened materials for me.

For one thing, the expense would be up there.

Another thing would be I'm sure the brand would make all the difference. Racing push rods would probably be brutal. Yugo pushrods on the other hand........

Push rods aren't what you want. They are relatively weak and brittle. What you want are head studs. Preferably studs from a boosted motor or truck. I've been looking into buying some used Subaru Wrx/sti studs to try in the name of science. I've been searching the forums looking.

• Like 1

I was thinking at a junk yard you could get pushrods and studs pretty much free. I'll stick to drill rod it seems predictable

I will bend a head stud from a boosted car. I got a guy that might just have what I'm looking for.

That should be interesting. I really am not sure what to expect.

Most normal pushrods in every day drivers are hollow anyways to allow oil to pass through. I would think the only ones worth bending would be solid pushrods (mostly found in performance engines). ..and they would most likely be VERY hard. Lol

EJ, head bolts? Are you kidding me?.. I havent seen any that are less than 3/8" diameter. And since most everything on cars these days is built with metric parts, youd be looking at a 10mm (roughly) class 12.9 bolt.. That would be like a 3/8" standard grade 10 (if there is such a thing)

sounds doable. Jk lol

EJ, head bolts? Are you kidding me?.. I havent seen any that are less than 3/8" diameter. And since most everything on cars these days is built with metric parts, youd be looking at a 10mm (roughly) class 12.9 bolt.. That would be like a 3/8" standard grade 10 (if there is such a thing)

im serious, ill get some subaru EJ20 head studs. they are a little bigger than 5/16" but not 3/8". when i get them ill send you some, we can both try. at least we would be the first to attempt it.

• Like 2

Few calibrations for Tommy and he said I could share the numbers. Some surprises here:

Gold nail. 497.5. By far lightest I've ever tested. Felt different too cranking the handle. Maybe there's hope.

S-10 Manus Ninja bar. 680 pounds. Little longer than 7 inches. I think they were 180mm long to be precise.

KOAB - 715 pounds. It jumped very high right off the bat though so I'm sure this one will be rougher to bend than the numbers show.

KOASB - 737 pounds.

5/16 stainless square - 797.5 - Whew!! This thing must be a monster to try to bend.

Neat steel Tommy.

• Like 1

I assume that this was an uncut Gold at 8 3/8"? That's a over 10% drop in strength, which I'm not surprised to see. I think the original 1-2 batches of Gold nails ended up being made of tougher CRS by sheer chance. A 497.5 rating at 8 3/8 seems to coincide better with what I think the Gold is supposed to be at had it been made of the same CRS as the Reds are. If it stays around 500 lbs we will start seeing people cert on it.

David,

I agree. 1018 steel can vary all over the map and now more than ever I'm convinced that's what these are made of. Toughest gold I calibrated at this new setup is 575 pounds so it's quite a drop.

Still though at this length with IMPs it will be a monumental bend and plus, let's say you get to where you can bend this batch of bars. I'd be afraid that when I went to cert, it would be a batch that's right back up at 550 plus. Look at the Bastards. We had that 385 pound batch and that was the only batch that was ever that light.

Thanks again for rating those bars, Tim! Very cool of you!

Id like to add that that gold nail i sent Tim is a new gold nail (within the last 2 months).

It is not the one that has spirals, and the ends are jagged like red nails. For anyone interested in much more doable gold nails than in the past, now is the time to buy them. Btw, i put a VERY respectable wobble in one of these in single imps right after Tim told me what they rated at. In his pm, i read "497 on the gold nail" and literally ran to my stock and wrapped one of the gold nails from that same batch up in imps. Lol, thats how excited i was.

Did it stop you then or did you decide to just kink it and stop? Have not seen anything stop you, I don't think lol Edited by king crusher

It did stop me. But not from pain. My arms and shoulders filled up with so much blood i coulndt even get the bar under my chin after about the 7th hit.

This poundage is odd tho.. Or the length is. Because i have MELTED 8"x3/8" spikes in single imps that Eric calibrated at 500lbs. And still can to this day. So it makes no sense why i wasnt able to bend this gold in the same fashion.

sounds like one of the calibrations is off. But it could be different steel tougher at different spots?