Aaron Corcorran Is In The Grip Well!

Bill Piche

Hey Aaron, Ive been dealing with golfers elbow for quite a while any advise on how to train through this?

John, I personally have never had Golfers Elbow. Struggled with Tennis elbow a few times but that's it. It is generally a tendon inflammation where the flexors attach near the elbow. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for these tendon inflammations and I don't recommend trying to train through it. At least not on things that directly hit the area. I would recommend Ice massage of the affected area a couple times a day, anti-inflammitories, and a supplement to help with the tendon repair like Cissus Quadrangularus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cissus_quadrangularis

I have used that in the past for tendon injuries including tennis elbow and have been happy with the results. Another option that I have occasionally used to get blood flow to damaged area is DSMO. However I recommend you thoroughly investigate that option before deciding to use it and make your own decisions as to it's safety.

Good luck and good to hear from you. Hope we can get you out to one of the comps again one of these days so we can catch up.

- Aaron

Let's see some big hub lifts in the near future.

Thanks, yeah maybe I will get around to this eventually. Not high on my goal list at the moment though.

7x 5/16, 6.5x5/16, 6x5/16, 5.5x5/16 and 5x5/16 all back to back in 5 minutes.

THAT is something I have never heard of. Wow is the only thing I can say.

Surprised there haven't been more questions actually.

Me too. I guess people are too busy talking about whittling :dry
Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 2

Cool. I am just waiting for someone to start putting up some big hub numbers. It's lonely at the top.

Good luck with that, hope it works out for you.

• Like 3

Have you used grip machines for gripper strength?

If you have, how did you use it? I mean sets/reps/technique/weights etc etc.

How many grip goals do you train for at the same time, or how many can you train for?

When I was new to grip I did everything frip related cause I thought it was so much, fun but I had little progress.

Now I often only train 1-2 different kinds of grip at a time, 3 at the most.

Im really impressed with the Q and A in this thread.

Thats mostly why I havent been asking questions.

My questions were already asked :)

How many grip goals do you train for at the same time, or how many can you train for?

When I was new to grip I did everything frip related cause I thought it was so much, fun but I had little progress.

Thanks for the questions.

Depends on how you define Grip Machines. I've never used a Guillotine style grip machine which is what I believe is normally thought of with that term. I did try a Secret Weapon for awhile for Negs a few years back but ended up selling that. If the definition is more open, then I have used a variety of different custom implements over the years that I designed and built for specific aspects of gripper type work. Including but not limited to: Adjustable mount grippers for microloading, Secret weapon styled DB handles, and non mounted handles for Cable machine work or with loading pin, Customized ISG, and various customized gripper setups for special purposes, etc.

Like I said never used the standard Guillotine style, and the rest of the above listed items have been used in every way imaginable, from singles, to reps, to timed holds, to Overcrushes, to Negatives and all sorts of variations of technique used and focus with each. These days I mostly worry about time under tension and related progressions with gripper like implements.

Maybe one or 2 tops for me with maintenance work on up to 1 or 2 others at a time depending on contest events and focus area. I used to try to focus on 3-4 or more but progress in all areas was much slower than I could stand and incidence of injuries was much higher.

Right now I'm not training at all though. I think I've only trained once or twice since the birth of our 2nd child nearly 3 months ago. That and super busy with new job have kept me pretty busy. I'll get back to it when things slow down some.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Depends on how you define Grip Machines. I've never used a Guillotine style grip machine which is what I believe is normally thought of with that term. I did try a Secret Weapon for awhile for Negs a few years back but ended up selling that. If the definition is more open, then I have used a variety of different custom implements over the years that I designed and built for specific aspects of gripper type work. Including but not limited to: Adjustable mount grippers for microloading, Secret weapon styled DB handles, and non mounted handles for Cable machine work or with loading pin, Customized ISG, and various customized gripper setups for special purposes, etc.

Like I said never used the standard Guillotine style, and the rest of the above listed items have been used in every way imaginable, from singles, to reps, to timed holds, to Overcrushes, to Negatives and all sorts of variations of technique used and focus with each. These days I mostly worry about time under tension and related progressions with gripper like implements.

Maybe one or 2 tops for me with maintenance work on up to 1 or 2 others at a time depending on contest events and focus area. I used to try to focus on 3-4 or more but progress in all areas was much slower than I could stand and incidence of injuries was much higher.

Right now I'm not training at all though. I think I've only trained once or twice since the birth of our 2nd child nearly 3 months ago. That and super busy with new job have kept me pretty busy. I'll get back to it when things slow down some.

- Aaron

Okey! Congratz on the new child! Its a great feeling, isnt it? I waiting on the arrival of my fourth child. Expected to come in 3 weeks :)

Children are a bless :)

Yeah with grip machines I ment X-gripper, secret weapon etc.

I've heard that going heavy on those are dangerous and tendon tears can occur.

Isnt that what happened to sum gabriel?

Im going to work on RT and wriststrength for 10 weeks and then grippers for a couple of months, might try Chez's dropset-program.

I think I'll go back and fourth between thickbar/rt and grippers until I can close my 180lbs coc3,5 and get over 100kg RT. :)

There are no other aspects of grip that interest me atm.

- Aaron

Okey! Congratz on the new child! Its a great feeling, isnt it? I waiting on the arrival of my fourth child. Expected to come in 3 weeks :)

Children are a bless :)

Yeah with grip machines I ment X-gripper, secret weapon etc.

I've heard that going heavy on those are dangerous and tendon tears can occur.

Isnt that what happened to sum gabriel?

Im going to work on RT and wriststrength for 10 weeks and then grippers for a couple of months, might try Chez's dropset-program.

I think I'll go back and fourth between thickbar/rt and grippers until I can close my 180lbs coc3,5 and get over 100kg RT. :)

There are no other aspects of grip that interest me atm.

Sounds like an excellent plan to me. I'm not familiar with Chez's program but am a fan of drop sets for grippers and pinch for that matter. I'm not a fan of regular gripper or grip machine negs like the SW. Too much likelihood for injury for my tastes. I would rather do pre-fatigued negs any day to reduce injury incidence. Such as a set of reps on a gripper and as soon as I am unable to close it I force it and and fight it out without rest. Lower incidence of palm deep tissue bruising too which takes forever to heal. I think that was what mainly took Gabriel out if I remember right. I'm also a fan of eccentric accentuated work but that is impossible on grippers without specialized equipment.

An early congrats to you on the 4th child! They are amazing that's for sure. Our oldest is 3yrs old now and a handful.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Here you go, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e618dUWU_TI

That's what's so amazing about Aaron. You don't find out about all these extraordinary things he's done, unless you ask him. Then your jaw drops and you spend the rest of the day trying to wrap your head around it.

• Like 3

Here you go, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e618dUWU_TI

That's what's so amazing about Aaron. You don't find out about all these extraordinary things he's done, unless you ask him. Then your jaw drops and you spend the rest of the day trying to wrap your head around it.

Ain't that the truth. The guys that are elite here are pretty much elite or at least very well performing athletes in other sports as well.

Steerong! :rock

• Like 1

Hi Aaron,

How did you balance your bending with your normal upper body training?

I think a lot of guys are in a similar boat as me trying to find that balance. I basically follow 5/3/1, so I have two upper body days per week...I standing press one day per week and close grip bench another day. Recovery is at a premium these days, so if I'm going to bend it should really be on one of those days....not on a separate third day. If I do my bending first...especially if I plan on one or more FBBC cert attempts...I'm pooped before I even start my regular training and the session takes forever. If I bend second, I'm not at full power and my upper body pump hinders my ability to get into proper position.

What I had been doing for a while was bending first on Wednesdays with higher intensity/cert attempts before my overhead pressing and then I would bend second on Saturdays after my close grip bench just to grease the groove a bit with lower intensity. That seemed to be the best compromise for me.

I'm just curious to hear how you approached your programming for bending and what the volume and intensity looked like.

Thanks!

JW

• Like 2

Hi Aaron,

How did you balance your bending with your normal upper body training?

I think a lot of guys are in a similar boat as me trying to find that balance. I basically follow 5/3/1, so I have two upper body days per week...I standing press one day per week and close grip bench another day. Recovery is at a premium these days, so if I'm going to bend it should really be on one of those days....not on a separate third day. If I do my bending first...especially if I plan on one or more FBBC cert attempts...I'm pooped before I even start my regular training and the session takes forever. If I bend second, I'm not at full power and my upper body pump hinders my ability to get into proper position.

What I had been doing for a while was bending first on Wednesdays with higher intensity/cert attempts before my overhead pressing and then I would bend second on Saturdays after my close grip bench just to grease the groove a bit with lower intensity. That seemed to be the best compromise for me.

I'm just curious to hear how you approached your programming for bending and what the volume and intensity looked like.

Thanks!

JW

John thanks for the question,

that's easy, Bending was my upper body training. Early on when I was starting to bend I realized it was counterproductive for me to try to continue to do regular upper body work while bending hard. A good indicator for me was that after a good bending session I would often be sore from my earlobes to belly button from the full body static contractions. Especially when I was bending hard and it would take a few seconds per hit at maximum tension to get the steel to move. That happening over a 5 minute bend or a few 5 minute bends was more than plenty upper body work for me. Also I found that I my biceps were just a bit too big to really get the long bars locked into a good starting position and that was a consistent fight as long as I was bending.

I don't really have any magical advice on this to make it work. To make decent progress you will likely have to pick one or the other to emphasize and then reduce volume and intensity on the other. You could cycle this from time to time as well. As to which one, only you can decide what is most important to you. In my opinion if one tries to Bend hard at a decent level as well as strength train with regular programming that is just a recipe for overtraining or worse.

My own bending programming progressed from 3-4 days a week in the beginning with maybe 2-3 tough pieces to eventually once every 10days or so at the end with maybe 5-7 total pieces of which possibly only 1 or 2 really tough ones.

If I was working kink work specifically I might do overlength work microloading by taping pieces together. ie 7.5" pieces to be stronger at 7" and gauging progress with poundage ratings and cross sectional area of all pieces taped together. If I was working crush downs specifically I might do prekinked unfinished bars for iso's, movement or occasionally chest crush reps with the Pro or WC. Mostly I just bent full bars, high intensity very low volume though.

- Aaron

• Like 4

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for all the replies & awesome info... I think wojo questions kinda mirror mine. I'm primarily a bender & working towards bending the unbelievable Gold nail one day!

Are you saying that while bending heavy, hard steel, its very hard to make gains in grip training? I currently do both snd feel they compliment each other to a point... if you can avoid overtraining. How would you structure your training for bending & general grip training?

Thanks again for your input & advice sir!

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Aaron

Jon Umpherville here. I ordered some 2hp discs from David Horne this morning and plan to make some plywood inserts for em to train on when they get in.

My question is: What would you suggest to someone beginning in 2hp training... generally, basic guidelines, working off percentages or no, best to just max out once a week and gain beginner strength that way? Any useful tips and tricks that someone like myself wouldn't be aware of (no one around me locally would even know what a 2hp is), maybe even a program of sorts to try out if you have one.

Anything and everything you have to share would be useful.

Hope all is well with the Mrs and Princess Corcorran.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for all the replies & awesome info... I think wojo questions kinda mirror mine. I'm primarily a bender & working towards bending the unbelievable Gold nail one day!

Are you saying that while bending heavy, hard steel, its very hard to make gains in grip training? I currently do both snd feel they compliment each other to a point... if you can avoid overtraining. How would you structure your training for bending & general grip training?

Thanks again for your input & advice sir!

It's tough to make good gains in both but not impossible. Recovery is at a premium once you start getting to more advanced levels. Heck I closed the MM5 and easier #4's around the time I peaked at bending. But to do that I had to over time spread my bending workouts out to once every 10 days or so while my grippers may have still been 2 or 3 days a week training. I'm sure there are mutants out there that could bend hard and train grip hard and still make good gains without injury but I was not able to do both without significant adjustment of training volumes and timing. You just have to play it by feel since everyone is different.

But in all likelihood you will do best if one area is primary and the other is secondary with volume reduced.

These recommendations are for the intermediate or advanced bender / gripster. If you are not bending Edgin's or better yet, or closing a #3.5 or higher yet you may not even have to be that concerned about recovery timing yet.

- Aaron

Aaron

Jon Umpherville here. I ordered some 2hp discs from David Horne this morning and plan to make some plywood inserts for em to train on when they get in.

My question is: What would you suggest to someone beginning in 2hp training... generally, basic guidelines, working off percentages or no, best to just max out once a week and gain beginner strength that way? Any useful tips and tricks that someone like myself wouldn't be aware of (no one around me locally would even know what a 2hp is), maybe even a program of sorts to try out if you have one.

Anything and everything you have to share would be useful.

Hope all is well with the Mrs and Princess Corcorran.

Best wishes.

Hey there Jon,

Good questions. Start slow, first few workouts just work on trying different hand positions, widths, and trying to season the discs some. Make sure to chamfer the edges a little bit too. It takes a bit of time to condition the thumb webbing skin. If you are pinching too wide and the edges are not sufficiently chamfered you will get fairly regular splits in the thumb webbing when attempting max weights without some skin conditioning. If you can be patient and take the time to find a comfortable pinching position, then work on strengthening it you will be better off in the long run. My personal preference on width is about 48mm, but others are more comfortable at 50, 54, or 58mm. Some even wider than that. Once you are feeling comfortable with it (give it at least a few workouts) you can start to see where you are at on it.

Get a training max as a starting point. From there to start with you could train singles, doubles, or more if you like. General training guidelines follow pretty well with it. However if you want my advice for a decent starter program I would suggest this:

2 Workouts per week.

Decent full body warmup to start, ie jump rope, or lift weights, KB swings, whatever.

I like to jump rope then superset my pinch with Bench press for consistency.

5sets x 3-4reps

2-3 warmup, then 3 work sets

Starting at around 85% of training max.

First workout just try to get the 3 sets of 3reps at starting weight.

After that each workout try to increase to 4 reps if you can each set.

When you can get 3x4reps at a weight increase your training weight by ~ 2.5% and repeat.

As a beginner you should be able to increases like this for 6+ weeks.

At 6 weeks I would recommend taking a week off from 2HP and then retesting the training max to start over.

If you feel the need you can add some accessory dynamic thumb work like TTK or clamps after each workout, or work wide pinch like block weights but it is probably not necessary unless you have specific goals around the Blob, etc.

Let me know how this works for you btw and good luck.

Thanks, the family is doing well and my little trees Juniper and Willow are growing fast. Must be some miracle grow in the genes or something.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Found this crazy clip; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDF9gJ4Epqg

and started wondering, does RT help axle DL and vice versa or do you have to train RT to get good at RT and axle to be good at axle?

Thanks

Thanks for digging that up, wish I was still able to pull like that right now. I think I was doing 5-3-1 at the time.

I personally have not found RT to help Axle at all or vice versa. I might have more carryover for someone who has bigger hands and can get more wrap. For me the RT feels more like a pinch and wrist exercise. If you have a goal of a specific weight on one or the other use that specific lift as the primary training tool. In my experience you definitely have to train each thing to get better at each.

- Aaron

• Like 1

The well is now closed for Aaron. Thanks to Aaron for his time here!! :)

• Like 4