Gripday Party - Improvement With Minimal Training

bencrush

Have done a few more workouts since my last post about two weeks ago. Two gripper workouts in that time. Both were 20mm block set. Neither was very special. I used my TSGs in one workout and my adjustable gripper in the other.

I did three levering workouts since the last update. I thought about referring to them as mini-workouts, since the volume was super low. But a workout is a workout is a workout.

Only got two pinch workouts in since the last update. Both were very blah. Oh well.

Still trying to get my hands on two 5-gallon water jugs to work on the farmer's walk event. Not a big deal if I don't get them. I don't have any block weights or blobs anymore, so the medley is not even in my thoughts.

I am curious what the bending in the medley will consist of though. Just not enough to start a new topic to ask. Because I'm not going to train it anyway...just thinking out loud right now.

On February 19th, I did another 20mm block set gripper workout.

Smashed the 149lb #3 and held it shut for 2 seconds. Still going to remain my goal gripper for the Gripday Party. Things can change in the blink of an eye.

On the 20th, I did a Sledge Choke workout. It was very unremarkable. Haven't done pinch for a while. Not like it's actually going to increase or decrease much either way.

2-25-14, Tuesday

Haven't done many workouts with the 54mm wood pinch block. But I have raised it from a baseline max of 124lbs on January 21st to 147lbs about 5 weeks later. I will be miffed if it doesn't have positive carryover to the actual Euro. Just because it feels like it should be significantly harder, due to not being able to tilt it effectively. And the wood is smooth enough that it doesn't feel like a super seasoned implement.

I did some hub attempts over the next 30 minutes and have begun to "relearn" the techniques that work for me. The temp in my garage was 18 degrees for the entire 90-minute workout. So it took some time for my hands to feel warmed up.

I made many claw style attempts on the 45s I have. These hubs are pretty ideal for hubbing. I failed to budge them in the claw style on any attempt. Not surprising to me.

Switched to vbar style and immediately got a few inches of air with both hands. That was a promising start, after about 1.5 years off training grip. 1st attempt I got about 2" of air. 2nd attempt about 3" of air. 3rd attempt I pulled it about knee high. 4th attempt was the charm, lefty, and I pulled it to my knee pretty smoothly. It was a max effort lift right now. But it was nice to get a full lift again. Been a long time.

Did some finger press assists with the wide and shallow hub 35s. Then with the 45s. Claw style only.

Ended the workout on a positive note. Got a full lift lefty - vbar style - on the wide hub 35. And a full lift righty - claw style - on the wide hub 35.

Overall Notes: By the end of the workout my fingertips felt raw. Typing is uncomfortable even two days later. I haven't done grippers in 8 days. Looks like it will be around 2 weeks between gripper workouts at this pace. Ah well...

• 2 weeks later...

3-7-14, Friday

Had a good 20mm gripper workout yesterday. Nothing else but light kettlebell swings this past week.

Got 4 singles (righty) with the 149lb #3.

Apparently, waiting 2 weeks between gripper workouts is just fine with my hands. I like that. Gives me more time for other stuff.

I'll check in the next time I get time (or the urge) to do some pinch work.

4 weeks until the contest.

I am not going to make the 93kg weight class for the contest. Still plan on competing, but some personal stuff has derailed my weight loss goal for the contest.

Huh?

Sorry to hear that Ben, I was looking forward to competing with you again.

Hey, not sure what happened to my post (the one that appears as simply "out"), but there was much more to it than what ended up there. I just came back to update my log and saw the responses. No wonder you guys were probably like "what the hell is the drama queen doing now", lol. The post was actually about how I've been sick for the past few weeks. Got very sick on Wednesday and lost 7lbs of fluid in a few hours of puking. Feeling quite a bit better now. Recovering from a series of colds and also laryngitis on top of that. Been quite the joyride lately, haha.

Training has been virtually nonexistent. I lasted about a week on the 300 swings a day challenge before getting too sick to continue doing them. It was a chore just getting through normal living.

Did a pinch workout with my 54mm wood block a few days ago. It was pure crap.

Tried some grippers a day later and that was pretty bad too. Barely got the #2.5 closed with the 20mm block. I know that will rebound though if I can stay healthy until the contest.

Not nearly as worried about training for the contest as I am just staying healthy enough to go to the contest at this point.

• Like 1

Hey, not sure what happened to my post (the one that appears as simply "out"), but there was much more to it than what ended up there. I just came back to update my log and saw the responses. No wonder you guys were probably like "what the hell is the drama queen doing now", lol. The post was actually about how I've been sick for the past few weeks. Got very sick on Wednesday and lost 7lbs of fluid in a few hours of puking. Feeling quite a bit better now. Recovering from a series of colds and also laryngitis on top of that. Been quite the joyride lately, haha.

Training has been virtually nonexistent. I lasted about a week on the 300 swings a day challenge before getting too sick to continue doing them. It was a chore just getting through normal living.

Did a pinch workout with my 54mm wood block a few days ago. It was pure crap.

Tried some grippers a day later and that was pretty bad too. Barely got the #2.5 closed with the 20mm block. I know that will rebound though if I can stay healthy until the contest.

Not nearly as worried about training for the contest as I am just staying healthy enough to go to the contest at this point.

so you're back in :mosher

Yep, I was never out. My post was mistakenly shortened and it just looked vague enough to be a withdrawal.

3-26-14, Wednesday

20mm GRIPPERS

• Trainer for 5 reps
  • 110lb #2x1
  • 130lb #2.5x1
  • 137lb GM-x1 *Notes: Buddy from work is loaning me his GM that I rated years ago. Didn't even know he still had it. It was good to be able to shut it to see where I was at. My last 20mm gripper workout ended with barely closing the #2.5. This one was feeling a lot stronger.
  • 149lb #3x1 *Notes: Solid close and 2-second hold on video. :grin: Very happy that my ability to close this #3 is back since the contest is about 10 days away.

Yesterday I managed to secure two 5-gallon water jugs. Didn't get a chance to try them out, but I will either today or Friday. Want to see how the farmer's walk is going to feel with them.

This is almost the 4th week in a row that I've been sick. However, unlike most people who get sick, I have managed to gain weight, lol. About 15lbs worth. I hit 230lbs a few days ago. My throat has been hurting so bad (even with meds) that I have taken to eating almost all comfort foods.

Haven't tried out the 5-gallon jug farmer's walk because I just don't feel like doing anything besides going to work and playing with my daughter.

At least I'm not contagious anymore. There is that. Otherwise, this is the most I've been sick ever in my life. It's way past tiresome.

My "goals" went out the window with as much as I've been sick. I still want to close the 149lb #3 at the contest. Beyond that, I literally don't care. I have completely lost my desire to compete to be honest. But I've sent in my entry fee and I think by the time I drive to the contest - the desire to compete will at least be back a bit. If not, I'll sit it out and enjoy watching everyone else enjoy themselves.

• Like 1