The Gripmas Carol

climber511

I have a 50 lb. (51.3 actual) Blob, two 47.5s (one weighed 48.6 and might be a Fatman). Think there is also a 45, 40, 35 lb. york blob (some are non-numbered and I didn't check to see if they are Fatman yet) plus a 37.5 lb York hex that is rounded somewhat like a blob deceptively tough and a 30 lb. hex. I had one PM about the 50 lb Blob and 47.5, but no firm offer yet. They're in the trunk, still up for grabs and on the way to Gripmas.

Is the swap meet pre-contest Chris?

I have a 50 lb. (51.3 actual) Blob, two 47.5s (one weighed 48.6 and might be a Fatman). Think there is also a 45, 40, 35 lb. york blob (some are non-numbered and I didn't check to see if they are Fatman yet) plus a 37.5 lb York hex that is rounded somewhat like a blob deceptively tough and a 30 lb. hex. I had one PM about the 50 lb Blob and 47.5, but no firm offer yet. They're in the trunk, still up for grabs and on the way to Gripmas.

Bob - it can be done anytime really but we should be done early enough to do everything after the comp. I doubt if people will want to be trying things out during the comp - but hey it's OK with me if you want to.

• Like 1

Bob - it can be done anytime really but we should be done early enough to do everything after the comp. I doubt if people will want to be trying things out during the comp - but hey it's OK with me if you want to.

Sounds good Chris. I'd prefer after myself too. The only reason I mentioned it is at least once I heard someone stopped by and sold all this cool stuff early in the morning before the contest.

I have a barely-used David Horne Wrist Developer for sale. Might be interested in one of the smaller blobs!

• Like 1

Another Gripmas Carol in the books - a great day even if I got clobbered. I did manage to up my 2 HP competition record a few pounds though. Andrew did all the results on his laptop - as soon as I can figure out how to get it working on my machine - I will post all the results.

• Like 4

Someone left a pair of brown Thinsulate Gloves here. Let me know if they are yours please.

I want to say thanks to Chris and Teresa Rice for having us at their house for breakfast and for running the great contest.

Many of the competitors had awesome days. I must point out Jake Sahlaney. A newcomer, he is very well rounded and is going to get even better with experience.

I also want to point out there should have been award for Brent Barbe, for the pain he was competing in. He experienced a very serious burn on his thigh a week or so before the contest and still competed despite the torturous pain he was in. He unwrapped his wound after the contest and his entire left thigh was beet red with giant sores on it from the burn, and the wrap he had on had cut into his skin. He had to pull the tabbed Euro and the Axle over the burn and made contact with it several times. The very center of the burn was completely raw at the end of the day, I am sure from the axle contact with it. You heard no complaining from this man the whole day.

I also want to say thanks to Luke Raymond, my training partner. He drove us to Paul's the night before, from Paul's to Chris's the morning of, and all the way back home after the contest. He also did great at the contest on top of all the driving.

Big thanks to Carl Donati Jr who ran my camera for me in a couple of cases. That really helped me out my man.

Thanks to Paul Knight and his family, also who let us stay at their house Friday night.

Finally, thanks to everyone who supported me on my attempts and to Andrew Durniat for being, once again, an awesome competitor, forcing me to bring my absolute best to the table once again.

I have tons of videos. I will be working on them today.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention a thank-you to Katie Pantke for taking pictures and supporting everyone in general.

Here is the video from my medley.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention a thank-you to Katie Pantke for taking pictures and supporting everyone in general.

Here is the video from my medley.

Wow, respect man. I would have gotten destroyed in that medley. Also, minus 10 points for smugging Chris's handshake at the end LOL

Also, minus 10 points for smugging Chris's handshake at the end LOL

Oh no, did I??? I totally never saw it. That is truly a dick move!

• Like 2

That's awesome Jedd! Congrats on the win and smoking through that medley!

Also, minus 10 points for smugging Chris's handshake at the end LOL

Oh no, did I??? I totally never saw it. That is truly a dick move!

Haha I figured as much. Still looks funny on video though :D

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2014/Dec/Jedd_Johnson_Wins_10th_Annual_Gripmas.html

I forgive you Jedd - but I'll make sure you don't make it though next years Medley - game on :)

• Like 1

This graphic shows the results of all the events at Gripmas

GripmasResults.jpg

• Like 3

• The Silver Bullet event went quickly and smoothly. You could quickly see who had actually been practicing during their setup process. It of course shows gripper strength but the “thumb lock” seemed to be the secret to a long hold. If you got your thumb securely over your index finger – you did much better. Unfortunately I can’t really get a secure lock as my thumb doesn’t reach very far around – that plus the fact I am really weak on grippers set me up to do pretty badly. Badly enough to cost me several places in the overall at the end. As a competition event it runs really quick – judging is simple as can be – not bad at all. IF you like grippers. J

• David Horne Euro 2 Hand Pinch. We ran 2 set ups – one for warm ups (mine) and one on the competition platform (Jedd’s). We did each width separately; this seems to be a better way than constantly changing widths and doing an overall rising bar. It was rising bar for each width. It was raining outside and humid in the gym – but numbers seemed good in spite of that – with several getting PRs.

Double Overhand Axle Dead Lift. Ran smoothly with a warm up bar and a competition bar – this is better than everyone working their warmups in on the comp bar – same as in pinch.

Medley. My favorite event in grip – I think I hit the weights pretty good this year as only Jedd got all 30 items and everyone was able to do at least a few things. It’s a real challenge to figure out what events to have and how heavy to make things but I think I came close this year.

Contest started at 10 sharp and finished at 4:30 just as the pizza arrived. I guessed the length perfectly (luck J).

• Like 3

Wow! Great numbers by all and congrats to Jedd on the win and medley perfection! Had a minute to run numbers and its pretty astounding. Without factoring in decimal weights, the average 2hp pull this year was 209, with 8 of 14 competitors over 200#. Also I'm curious about the weigh-ins.. Andrew looked a bit thinner than usual in the videos but still pulled 52# more than the 2nd place (Jedd) and 99# over 3rd place (Jake).... absolute axle domination. If his bodyweight is down like it looks, that axle might be quite a bit over 2x BW.

Looks like a bunch had some PRs - I'm curious to see how many had a PR of some sort... for the floor

Again great numbers by all and i wish i coulda been there... what a hardcore group this year!!

Edited by jvance

My weight was 248, I think. I did not cut at all and I wore all my clothes for the weigh-in. I was 243 this morning naked, right after taking a leak after getting out of bed.

Andrew's mastery of the Axle is insane. He went for a PR on his last attempt but it wasn't there. I think his middle name is either Axle or Thick Bar.

Excellent numbers overall!

It's cool that everyone was able to accomplish a Silver Bullet hold.

A very strong group of guys!

Wow! Great numbers by all and congrats to Jedd on the win and medley perfection! Had a minute to run numbers and its pretty astounding. Without factoring in decimal weights, the average 2hp pull this year was 209, with 8 of 14 competitors over 200#. Also I'm curious about the weigh-ins.. Andrew looked a bit thinner than usual in the videos but still pulled 52# more than the 2nd place (Jedd) and 99# over 3rd place (Jake).... absolute axle domination. If his bodyweight is down like it looks, that axle might be quite a bit over 2x BW.

Looks like a bunch had some PRs - I'm curious to see how many had a PR of some sort... for the floor

Again great numbers by all and i wish i coulda been there... what a hardcore group this year!!

Andrew weighed in at 227.5# on my scales and they are like .8# heavy when point calibrated. Jedd was 248.7 and the same .8 over - I was 199.1 with the same .8 to be subtracted so call it 198.3#. We were talking after the comp and the level of strength overall was far and away higher than in years past. A performance that would have been near the top in the past didn't get you mid pack this year. The Medley alone contained almost every cert lift there is and there were things in there harder than the certs that got done - and to think Jedd got them all in a row with time to spare is insane. Next years Medley will have to be absolutely over the top to stop him. The 5 - 10s was actually 5-5K Eleiko plates - and at least half got them just as an example.

My 2HP was a competition PR.

Edited by climber511

Andrew weighed in at 227.5# on my scales and they are like .8# heavy when point calibrated. Jedd was 248.7 and the same .8 over - I was 199.1 with the same .8 to be subtracted so call it 198.3#. We were talking after the comp and the level of strength overall was far and away higher than in years past. A performance that would have been near the top in the past didn't get you mid pack this year. The Medley alone contained almost every cert lift there is and there were things in there harder than the certs that got done - and to think Jedd got them all in a row with time to spare is insane. Next years Medley will have to be absolutely over the top to stop him. The 5 - 10s was actually 5-5K Eleiko plates - and at least half got them just as an example.

My 2HP was a competition PR.

Yes it looked like a fiercely competitive group - consistently well-rounded athletes. I'll have to work my ass off just to keep up with the pack this year! No world records though :yikes Although Jedd's performance in the medley was pretty sick, and the SB wasn't far off WR time. Will you be calibrating the gripper IM sent you for gee wiz? How'd it feel?

My weight was 248, I think. I did not cut at all and I wore all my clothes for the weigh-in. I was 243 this morning naked, right after taking a leak after getting out of bed.

Andrew's mastery of the Axle is insane. He went for a PR on his last attempt but it wasn't there. I think his middle name is either Axle or Thick Bar.

heard you attempted a WR (per Gripmas tradition).. how heavy did you try for?

Edited by jvance

Congrats on the win Jedd.

Looked like a great contest, well done everyone on all the big numbers

Thanks again to Chris and his family for hosting this event. What a blast! I cannot believe how torched my hands were for the medley. I applaud everyone for going through thise events after the big three! U all are some strong fellas!

Edited by jotto