The Gripmas Carol

climber511

Hey there, Chris. A couple questions.

Was the Medley announced yet (meaning challenges within it)?

Did Eli send you his form and entry?

Jedd I tried to post the Medley from my Excel sheet and the formatting went nuts - if you can do it as a mod I can send it to you? And nothing from Eli yet.

• Like 1

2 3/8” Long Bar lift - weight is

1.9" Wrist Roller lift - weight is

The Gracie Dumbbell (2 3/8" handle) -

2" or 1.9” Handle Dumbbell -

3” Handle Dumbbell -

Inch Replica Dumbbell –weight 172#

Napalms Nightmare

Tips Tester

Scale Weights the hard way

2 3/8" DB Handle

One hand DL -

2 3/8" DH Adj

2 -2.5K Plate Rim Pinch Lift

Saxon Bar -

3" Two hand pinch at

2” - Fixed width

35# York Blob

40# York Blob

45# York Blob

Blob 50 or 50# York Blob

Jedd's Big Blob

3 – 25# Standard Plates with added weight

Pinch Two Wide 35# plates

Pinch Lift 2 Narrow 45s

¼” Key Pinch on 1/4" plate –

5 -5K plates

Plywood Lift -weight is

Two hand 3/8" pinch

One Hand Pinch Block

12# Slim Sledge Lever

Double Sledge Slim Lever on floor - no pad

16 Sledge Lever - to face

20# Sledge to face

Inside rotational lever - 9.25# Hammer

Inside rotational lever - 9.25#Hammer

Nicks Anvil by tail - Double?

Tractor Weight

Broom Walk

6" Reverse

Bend Braced Bend 3/8" Square x 14"

• Like 2

Thanks Brent - I still have to figure out some of the weights for things and decide how many items to use along with the time allowance - but I'm getting there.

I hope so, it's only a couple weeks away.

Putting the Medley together is the hardest part of everything I do. How to make it easy enough for the lighter weight classes and still challenge Jedd - Andrew etc is pretty rough.

I just found out my oral surgery is the day before Gripmas - yeah!

There is a reverse bend and a braced bend in the Medley - I have some wraps but things will go quicker if you bring your own as well - leather doubles are fine or anything similar.

Chris,

This medley looks freakin' awesome bro. Luke and I trained it somewhat last night and we came up with these questions:

(1) Is it correct that the Double Slim Lever is with no pad? This is the lift where the knuckles are driven straight down, yes? Are we doing this on hard rubber or on the other blue mats you have that are paddish?

(2) The hammers being used for the Inside Sledge Rotation. Are they 31-inch hammers? They are both listed as "Inside." Is one of them actually "Outside?"

(3) Will people have to lift loadable dumbbells, inches, and gracies level or will tilting and bracing be allowed?

(4) I forget the tractor weight. Has this been used before?

(5) What is "the hard way" when it comes to scale weights?

Chris,

This medley looks freakin' awesome bro. Luke and I trained it somewhat last night and we came up with these questions:

Thanks!

(1) Is it correct that the Double Slim Lever is with no pad? This is the lift where the knuckles are driven straight down, yes? Are we doing this on hard rubber or on the other blue mats you have that are paddish?

All the Slim Levers will be done on the Blue Gymnastics mats - they are soft and don't hurt your knuckles but there will be no raised pad used. This is how it was the last few years.

(2) The hammers being used for the Inside Sledge Rotation. Are they 31-inch hammers? They are both listed as "Inside." Is one of them actually "Outside?"

It should read "Inside" and "Outside" and it is the same hammer done in and out. It is an 8# hammer with a 31" handle and a 1 1/4# plate bolted on. Same one as last year - done on the Blue mats..

(3) Will people have to lift loadable dumbbells, inches, and gracies level or will tilting and bracing be allowed?

Seeing as it's a Medley things will be judged a little looser than if it was a Cert or something - but blatant tilt or bracing will be called. If the thing is "hanging" from your hand it will not count.

(4) I forget the tractor weight. Has this been used before?

The Tractor weight is new to the Medley but I had it at Gripmas last year and you and a couple others did lift it after the comp. It is 88# and 3 1/4" wide - it's kind of off center weighted but it has a "thumb bump" that really helps.

(5) What is "the hard way" when it comes to scale weights?

My scale weights are not a matched pair - one has a bigger (harder) handle - and you have to use your thumb on that handle. This is how the event has always been - no change from before. The scale weights do both have 2 1/2# plates added on them this year though.

I ran through it this morning and it kicked the soup out of me. Done with a time limit it's going to be fun - and possibly humbling for most of us. With you bringing your anvil - I am making that a double lift - left and right at the same time I think like JL had at Thanksgripping. I have to get some more weight plates from our Rec Center from all the loading pins for the Medley and still have to clean out the garage etc but it's coming along smoother than usual :). The only speed bump is that I am having oral surgery the day before the contest - this ought to be fun.

Chris,

Thanks for asking the questions. Basically the same as always, it seems. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, I will be bringing my anvil and the Robo Blob for the Medley.

Hey my man, Luke brought up a point too and I forgot to write it up. Can we do more than one feat at once? Like one in right and one in left? I don't remember if that's ever been discussed before either.

Thanks.

Chris,

Thanks for asking the questions. Basically the same as always, it seems. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, I will be bringing my anvil and the Robo Blob for the Medley.

Hey my man, Luke brought up a point too and I forgot to write it up. Can we do more than one feat at once? Like one in right and one in left? I don't remember if that's ever been discussed before either.

Thanks.

I don't remember anyone asking about doing 2 at the same time before. Some items it might be possible - others not so much. I think I'll say one at a time unless specified - just to keep things less confusing to score.

That's fine. Either way. I was just thinking if we set stuff up so the lighter block weights were all near one another, we could load them in a hurry and save time for last efforts at the end.

That's fine. Either way. I was just thinking if we set stuff up so the lighter block weights were all near one another, we could load them in a hurry and save time for last efforts at the end.

Let me think about it - I don't have any strong feelings either way - just thinking about easy judging was all.

I think I'll say one at a time unless specified
How would this be specified? If you were going to attempt more than one item at a time, do you need to announce it?

I think I'll say one at a time unless specified
How would this be specified? If you were going to attempt more than one item at a time, do you need to announce it?

Josh - there are only a few items that I think this might apply to - the smaller Blobs etc. I think one at a time solves it pretty easily.

• Like 1

On the reverse bend, wraps touching? And as I am unfamiliar with bending in a contest, is the bend to completion as in under 2 in.?

On the reverse bend, wraps touching? And as I am unfamiliar with bending in a contest, is the bend to completion as in under 2 in.?

Josh - Reverse Bends only have to be bent to 40 degrees - and in the Medley that will be an eyeball call - things will be moving fast and will not be measured. I usually have maybe an inch or a bit more between my wraps but there is no real rule on that. I have a pretty easy batch of 60d nails and I cut the heads off so we can slide them into our wraps more easily.

On the 3/8" square by 14" braced bend - the "legs" have to be parallel when completed. You can push down over your leg, row it over your knee, double overhand the finish - pretty much any part of your body can be used.

Gripmas Plan

• 8 AM – Weigh In starts – be here early if you think you’re on the line and want to eat as soon as you’re done. There is a restaurant a couple minute walk away.
  • 9:30 AM – Everyone sign Liability Release and draw numbers for the Silver Bullet order. Rules meeting – you can start warming up.
  • 9:50 AM –– take Group Photo – you all help me remember to do his please.
  • 9:55 AM - Video the opening of the new IM #3 Gripper to be used for the Silver Bullet event.
  • 10:00 AM – Start Silver Bullet event – will be videoed
  • Two Hand Pinch – flip coin for thick or thin widths first. Warm ups will be done on the Warm Up apparatus – you get a max of 2 warmups on the competition set up. The smallest jumps will be 5# unless it is a class or overall record.
  • DO Axle DL - Warm ups will be done on the Warm Up apparatus – you get a max of 2 warmups on the competition set up. The smallest jump will be 2.5 Kilos (5.5#) unless it is a class or overall record. I will have kilos to pounds charts available to check.
  • Medley will be done in this order. Ladies first. Then it will be in reverse order of where you stand overall after the Axle event.
  • Eat
  • Awards Presentation
  • Play
  • Like 2

I'd like to encourage everyone to bring any items you'd like to sell or trade to Gripmas. One man's trash just might be another mans treasure :).

• Like 1

Damn. Due to some work priorities that have come up last minute, Me and Amber will not be able to make it to Gripmas this year.Six months of planning gone in an instant. Really was looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting a couple of new guys. Wish everyone the best of luck on saturday and look forward to seeing the results.

I'd like to encourage everyone to bring any items you'd like to sell or trade to Gripmas. One man's trash just might be another mans treasure :).

If anyone needs blobs of various weights, let me know and I'll see if I have what you're looking for. I have a good variety and rarely use any but the 50s, so might as well sell them.

Damn. Due to some work priorities that have come up last minute, Me and Amber will not be able to make it to Gripmas this year.Six months of planning gone in an instant. Really was looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting a couple of new guys. Wish everyone the best of luck on saturday and look forward to seeing the results.

Very sorry to hear this! I'll refund your entry money.

Most of you know this already but Tee and I will be cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast for those who want it. Bob - got your turkey bacon :).

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear this! I'll refund your entry money.

Most of you know this already but Tee and I will be cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast for those who want it. Bob - got your turkey bacon :).

Man, sorry to hear it bro.

Everyone please drive safe tomorrow or Sat morning. It's supposed to be raining fairly hard here so plan accordingly - might not hurt to have an umbrella handy. Feel free to come down Friday night and hang out if you want - better than hanging in a motel room.

Jedd and Andrew please remember to pack the things I need to borrow for the comp.

Everyone bring your bending wraps if you want to use your own instead of mine.

Weigh ins start at 8AM and breakfast at 8:05 :). Bacon - eggs and toast. Oatmeal for you health nuts :).

Good Luck to all!

• Like 2