How Much Weight Do You Use On Barbell Roll Ups?

truth1ness

For those of you who do barbell roll ups I was curious how much you're able to roll up and also what is it in relation to what you deadlift double overhand no straps (assuming same number of reps).

What is a "roll up"?

Actually I should have used the term Finger Curls which is the exercise name used in the beginner program, I'm used to calling them Roll Ups from before I saw the correct terminology, my bad. Basically holding a barbell, lowering it to your finger tips, then curling it back up with your fingers, for reps.

Edited by truth1ness

Ah. I did those for many years as a part of my training for rock climbing. I did them in the power rack - sometimes strictly and sometimes loosely and would at times use my legs as assistance - kind of bend my legs and roll the bar up - straighten up - and negative down movement. Body weight should be easy to work up to quite strictly - 1 1/2 x BW should be quite possible as well and with a very loose style - double body weight can be done.. I used a curl grip - not double overhand as that's stronger and was the way I was shown to do them. It is also possible to do them behind the back and this hits you differently enough to be worthwhile. They might be my answer to the question "if you could only do one exercise for your grip".

• Like 1

No they are NOT wrist curls. Take a curl grip on a bar - stand upright - arms hang straight down - allow the bar to roll down as far as possible onto the fingertips - then close your hand and the bar rolls back up your fingers. Completely different than wrist curls. When doing wrist curls I was taught the grip on the bar is a death grip - your hands stay closed as tightly as possible as the bar is raised and lowered. Many people let the bar roll down their fingers when doing wrist curls - I was taught that was incorrect and might stress the wrists while in a disadvantageous position as well as limit the possible weight one might use and the work done by the forearms. In "finger curls" the wrists stay straight. Exercises often are done differently by different people - one may or may not be "correct" but may have certain advantages one way or another. These were the ways I learned when I started in 1959 and the early 60s. I don't mean to say this is the only way - just my way.

• Like 1

No they are NOT wrist curls. Take a curl grip on a bar - stand upright - arms hang straight down - allow the bar to roll down as far as possible onto the fingertips - then close your hand and the bar rolls back up your fingers. Completely different than wrist curls. When doing wrist curls I was taught the grip on the bar is a death grip - your hands stay closed as tightly as possible as the bar is raised and lowered. Many people let the bar roll down their fingers when doing wrist curls - I was taught that was incorrect and might stress the wrists while in a disadvantageous position as well as limit the possible weight one might use and the work done by the forearms. In "finger curls" the wrists stay straight. Exercises often are done differently by different people - one may or may not be "correct" but may have certain advantages one way or another. These were the ways I learned when I started in 1959 and the early 60s. I don't mean to say this is the only way - just my way.

Thanks Chris, sounds like a good exercise for a finisher.. I will give it a try...

I use 225

Sounds like an interesting exercise... Wonder how this would with using something other than a barbell. Say, eagle loops?