N A G S Championship Events

Jedd Johnson

Big box from Gillingham High Performance (GHP) just arrived. Big thanks to our sponsors.

I am going to guess Chris' comment was aimed at me since I started the discussion and no I dont have a dog in this fight. I am just from the old school. Ran my one and only contest in 2003 and it was a blast with some of the best grip athletes around. We didnt sweat the small stuff, just competed, ate, drank, and had a hell of a good time. We didnt weigh plates or competitors. We didnt worry about totals.

I have been kicking around doing another contest. Limit it to the first 15 guys who sign up and the winner walks away with a cool $1000.00. I will say the events will be secret and there will be no weight classes...

Rick It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular - it just hits a personal sore spot with me. I just know that as I run my Gripmas contests I get really tired of all the people who have no intention of even coming telling me every year all about what I am doing wrong and how "they" think it should be done. Constructive ideas are great and will improve the sport - but what I have found is that for everyone who thinks "this" is a great idea - there are just as many that think we should do "that" instead.

As for the events being secret - I for one have certain lifts I cannot (or at lest will not) do. V- bar, heavy frame holds, and a few others are out for me due to old injuries and limitations. I don't really care which events are at a contest other than those that I can't consider as safe for me at a personal level. I would hate to travel to a contest and "then" find out I didn't feel I could safely do all the events. But if i know in advance - I can make the decision of if to attend or not. Working from a list and a drawing would be fine with me as I would then know if any of my problem events were included.

Of course everyone is going to want you to contest their pet lift. That way they score higher and get more "atta-boys". You said it first, regardless of the events, the strong will beat the weak. The top 5 at any contest would be the top 5 in a contest with unknown events, it just adds a new twist imo.

oh and I wont compete in my own contest.

Good points Chris & well said sir!

I'm just happy & honored to be able to compete with the best grip strength guys in the country on the same stage!

Looking forward to seeing old & new friends & picking you guys brain's regarding grip strength!

Cheers, Roberto! :-D

Good points as well Rick!

I love to compete & win if possible but sportsmanship, fair play & comradery are far more important imho..

Chris,

Out of interest what constitutes constructive advice and what constitutes people telling your are doing it wrong? How is the person with an idea supposed to be able to tell the difference? You and Eric have both gone out of your way to make a point of this, I would hate to think there are people out there with potentially great ideas who feel they are walking on egg shells.

• Like 1

Chris,

Out of interest what constitutes constructive advice and what constitutes people telling your are doing it wrong? How is the person with an idea supposed to be able to tell the difference? You and Eric have both gone out of your way to make a point of this, I would hate to think there are people out there with potentially great ideas who feel they are walking on egg shells.

Chris M – a few examples from real emails and PMs over the years

Good ones

• If you have loading platforms in the medley, consider that everyone isn’t as tall as you are. (I did)
  • Think about testing both hands instead of just the strongest or always having two hand lifts – (I did)
  • Please think about allowing a wrist strap in the Weaver Lift for safety – (I did)

Not so good examples

• Your events are f…. stupid (that’s a quote)
  • You live too far away for me to drive – I have a two car garage you could use to put on your contest. (This one was real, the guy lived a 10 hour drive from me)
  • I don’t like (insert any event I’ve ever had) – if you had (insert their favorite lift) – I’d consider coming to your contest

Insert egg shells as you see fit please.

The GB is a dynamic living thing, with members coming and going all the time – which is great but the vast majority of “ideas” that are suggested have been tried already by the main promoters like Jedd, Aaron, John Beatty, myself and others. They have either been found not to work well, not been popular, or were great ideas and have become a part of the pattern of contests that we all use. I think the one that bugs me most is – if you did this (or didn’t do this) I’d come to your contest – which never happens no matter what is done. And of course the letters are split pretty evenly against and in favor of the same thing. For everyone I might make happy I make another one upset. And this thread is a good example. We have “all events need to be posted more in advance” – “events should be keep secret until the day” – “I don’t own that particular piece of equipment, is it fair that others do”. All might be good ideas but contradict each other - would they work, possibly - likely? But for every idea we'll find people split on if it is a good or terrible idea so promoters at some point have to actually go ahead and put on a contest and ignore all the "noise".

There also seems to be an issue with promoters who compete in their own contests – I guess because we get to train the exact events? I’m not sure about this one. Promoters are expected to work their butts off, buy equipment, make equipment, buy food and drink, lose money, clean up the mess; and not even join in the fun because we are somehow “cheating”?

So what’s a promoter to do? I can only speak for myself but I reached the point a while back where I just put on my contest and people will either come or not, as the case may be.

• Like 5

Paid Entries:

66kg
Charles-Antoine Chartrand-Lefebvre - Quebec, Canada
Yori Skutt - Texas

74kg
Michael Hann - Texas
Darrin Shallman - Michigan

83kg
Eric Milfeld - Texas
Bob Sundin - North Carolina

93kg
Brent Barbe - Pennsylvania
Eric Milfeld - Texas
Luke Raymond - Pennsylvania
Eric Roussin - Ontario, Canada
Jonathan Vance - Ohio

105kg
Andrew Durniat - Ohio
Brandon Gerber - Ohio
Jedd Johnson - Pennsylvania
Tom Scibelli - Maryland

105kg+
David Labbe - Virginia
Malcolm Majesky - Ohio
Robert Miller - North Carolina
Nick Rosendaul - Ohio
John Wojciechowski - New Jersey

Woman's
Danielle Curry - South Carolina
Sharon Moss - Ohio

• Like 1

Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck at NAGS tomorrow. Unfortunately I couldn't line up my schedule to be able to go but honestly can't wait to see vids and how everyone performed. It was an honor being able to qualify and hopefully I can make next years event. Best of luck to everyone!

• Like 3

Good luck everyone today!!!!

• Like 1

I hope everyone is PR'ing like beasts today! Can't wait to see the results.

• Like 1

I will be sure to be there next year.